Subject: Looking for more games that scratch the same itch. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Ohlson
United States
Norton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hi all. Quick question for all you more experienced gamers out there. I'm quite interested in this game. In particular I'm interested in the ship movement/combat tactics. So my question is are there any other board games that are similar to this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. As a new user I'm sorry if this isn't the place to ask questions. Thanks again in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really a board game but a miniature game, Dystopian Wars is a good one that is a lot like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another miniatures game, Aeronef is good too. It is a little more simple and allows decent sized fleets without bogging down.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/14324/aeronef

Jake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ohlson
United States
Norton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick replies guys! I'll be sure to look into them. Much appreciated. This site is fantastic and everyone seems to really helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave, I have not played Leviathans, but move and shoot space/naval games are pretty common. Two older ones, readily available on e-bay, that you might consider are Wooden Ships & Iron Men and Star Fleet Battles

Another one, slightly harder to find, but closer in theme to Leviathans would be Sky Galleons of Mars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Dooley
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Sky Galleons of Mars is a part of the SPACE 1889 family. In addition to Sky Galleons, the series had a naval/airship combat book called Ironclads and Ether Flyers(book) for miniatures combat involving surface and flyer craft. Ship construction and point valuation was included for free lance designers. There was a line of miniatures, too.

They also had a land combat system (I forget the name--I think maybe Soldiers Companion? Another book). All Vic sci-fi with tanks, tripod walkers, etc.

SPACE 1889 also had a bunch of role-playing supplements set on Victorian sci-fi Mars and Venus as well as the SPACE 1889 Earth.

Update: Here is a link that I just found to what appears to be most of the Space 1889 RPG and expanded game information:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=5...

They also had a line of miniatures (am not certain of the scale), but long out of production. You might check eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mendenhall
United States
Unspecified
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not meaning to come across as snarky, but why bother?

I've played almost all the games mentioned in this thread except Aeronef, and Leviathans is darn near perfect for the genre. The advanced ruleset is amazing, the minis are great, lots of support from the publisher......I would just build on this game if I were you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ohlson
United States
Norton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Honestly it's just a matter of funds. My gaming budget is No where near big enough to get all the awesome sounding games I'm interested in. I just don't wanna plunk down the cash and then find I don't enjoy the game. But you are right I probably will end up just getting the game.....it looks soooo good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Honestly, how about a game with a similar tactical element without being a naval-esque experience might be more along the line of something you'd like.

Summoner Wars feels very similar to Leviathans in that possitioning/tactical strategizing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Finamore
United States
Wayne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
Dave, I have not played Leviathans, but move and shoot space/naval games are pretty common. Two older ones, readily available on e-bay, that you might consider are Wooden Ships & Iron Men and Star Fleet Battles

Another one, slightly harder to find, but closer in theme to Leviathans would be Sky Galleons of Mars

I would go with Federation Commander over Star Fleet Battles.

You can also download a free demo of the game called First Missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.