Popular Tags: [View All]
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there ya go folks. Jump on it.

Played it and it just didn't meld with my buddies, made us want to play Stone Age or Pillars of the Earth so didn't quite think we needed something that made us want to play a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Walth
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
The Mountain That Drums
mbmbmbmbmb
are they only letting certain people play a pnp version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaron--I'm letting all backers play the PnP when all the art is in place. But if people send me a personal request for it, I'm happy to provide it. I just want to know who's playing it at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Pesti
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you figure out why you wanted to play Stone Age? Meaning is it deeper, better thematically, more fun or is it just because your gaming group likes different challenges in a game? Do you like Agricola for example or would you rather play Stone Age? Just wanting to understand if your group differs from mine or not!

I'm too scared to try the PnP version as I'm not that big of a game mechanics freak, I like the whole package. Playing a "mock-up" could take me away too. For example, I absolutely love the pigskin dice cup from Stoneage. Also all the wooden resource bits make the game so cool!

What made me luv the idea of Viticulture is that many things are well though. The player limit compeletly hits the spot, we play with 6 players 90% of the time and many games with 4 or 5 player limit get so little play even though they pwn.

The theme is good, I like wine but haven't gone that deep into the process on viticulturing. But I'm interested to learn more through the game. What is important is that the theme doesn't look like it's been just added on top of the game mechanics but that it could actually feel like you're working on your wine. After every game of Stone Age I feel like I've played LONG TIME and then the game just abruptly ends without me achieving anything for my Stone Age village. After a game of Agricola I feel great though as my little farm and family have grown a lot.

The most important factor is the complexity and deepness. My gaming group is casualish. They love Stone Age but I dunno if they would like Agricola because the rules are pretty long to explain. (I would try it but the cards are in english and some people in the group have problems with english.) Stone Age on the other hand doen't have enough viable strategies and ways to play to keep it interesting after many plays. So I'm hoping the game is somewhere in between Stone Age and Agricola to start with and with the Kickstarter expansion it would be just a bit behind Agricola in the deepness and complexity scale.

This is first Kickstarter project that I'm backing up. I started with the $49 pledge but have pledged total of $230 now... And usually I'm REALLY cheap!

So jump on the Kickstarter wagon and let us get the cheese!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We wanted to play Stone Age because it felt too much like Stone Age with a few exceptions:
1 - My buddies event though they tended to at times be annoyed by having to feed their workers ever round. They mentioned there was it seemed no penalty for having every worker, even though by game end we found we had many left over workers because we couldn't use half the spaces out there.
2 - We did rather enjoy the part in Spring choosing when you get to place your workers, even though you are first player, you may not place your workers first. We all thought this was awesome.

My one buddy before he left actually admitted he'd played worker placement and euro games before that we have in the group (Caylus, Stone Age, Zong Shi, Village, uh...there's others) but he never felt that he was just pushing cubes around a board more than his experience with Viticulture. The theme was there but it just didn't set in with him, he's not a huge wine fan so he thought that may have been why, but he kept going back to the lack of what he called "penalty" for having 6 workers.

Honestly I didn't feel this was all that complex or deep. It semi-felt pasted on. I feel with expansions it has great potential to add depth and more strategy, but right now I don't see it hitting the table more than the first time to see the production copy.

I think the game looks great though (well will look great, I did a quick print job on my blea printer until we got a few plays under our belt to decide if it was worth me busting out the uber fancy photo printer I have) and I for sure have my eye on it when I see its release and expansions to see if it fixes any of the glaring issues my group had with it (we're more of a beer group but I don't mind the occasional bottle of wine, heck I have like 40 bottles in my cellar). Hope that cheese expansion gets unlocked I'd love to see more on that.

I want to point out these views were overall consensus of my group not just me. Viticulture plays very light, I'd say light and barely to medium. Overall if you enjoy Stone Age you'll like this, if Stone Age just didn't appeal due to theme and you like wine and the wine making process in general (I'd say more like Home Wine Making because if you want a more in depth wine making go Vihnos which I'd say is a heavy Euro easy). It plays very similar to Stone Age but has the cool element of picking when you place your workers with possible bonuses, aside from that it felt to much like Stone Age to us which we already have with its expansion and we don't feel the need to add something to similar to the group, we're already trying to trim the fat per say of our collections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taube
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my plan is to use Viticulture to introduce this genre of games to my family and friends. As my write up said, my mother enjoyed herself and my wife was able to win. They took a chance on the game and liked it so I might have the opportunity to bring more to the table. But I don't imagine they will enjoy something more competitive or complex so if I want them in my gamin life I am glad it will be with a game that I find enjoyable too. And the expansions have the potential to further complex things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Pesti
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your reply! Very informative! The "have all the workers, pay no extra" sounds different. Can't say if it's a good thing or not as I actually love the feeding in Agricola and find that in Stone Age it's too easy and light. Why don't I have to pay my workers!? But yar, I shouldn't really question the rules myself as I haven't given the game a try yet.

I hope the theme hits us and the different mechanics are enough to take Stone Age off our table. Thanks again for your reply, gave me a chance to think it through through our group's preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I read, it seems Viticulture is suppossed to be a light game. I *thought* that was the idea they wanted because they kept saying they didn't want people to get penalized.

I see it as a casual gateway game that you can play while enjoying a glass of wine. Compared to other wine games like Vinhos or Grand Cru, this fills the light wine of gaming. It will probably be Viticulture-Grand Cru-Vinhos as far as complexity.

Jorune

ps. I've got another wine game, but I forgot the name. The one with the grape balls in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diffler wrote:
Thanks for your reply! Very informative! The "have all the workers, pay no extra" sounds different. Can't say if it's a good thing or not as I actually love the feeding in Agricola and find that in Stone Age it's too easy and light. Why don't I have to pay my workers!? But yar, I shouldn't really question the rules myself as I haven't given the game a try yet.

I hope the theme hits us and the different mechanics are enough to take Stone Age off our table. Thanks again for your reply, gave me a chance to think it through through our group's preferences.

I already plan on putting in a variant to "pay" your workers each year. As soon as I get my hands on the game, I'll be testing and posting a variant I've been mulling over since reading through the rulebook. Variant will be simple and should add another element of thematic strategy to the game. That is if you like risk/reward decisions in a game (I personally do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
I see it as a casual gateway game that you can play while enjoying a glass of wine. Compared to other wine games like Vinhos or Grand Cru, this fills the light wine of gaming. It will probably be Viticulture-Grand Cru-Vinhos as far as complexity.

The Red Dragon Inn is a great game about drinking in the inn after the adventure.

It's fantastic with the right group because it is very much a light hearted "take that" kind of game.

We tried it as a drinking game and there was waaay too much strategy to make it a drinking game as opposed to a game about drinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:

It will probably be Viticulture-Grand Cru-Vino-Vinhos as far as complexity.

Jorune

ps. I've got another wine game, but I forgot the name. The one with the grape balls in it.

Vino

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.