Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the map pics here, it seems the board will not be large enough to combine with either of the other North American maps. Yet it will ironically include the Transcontinental rules. This seems like a missed opportunity, one which is rather disappointing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
blueatheart wrote:
Looking at the map pics here, it seems the board will not be large enough to combine with either of the other North American maps. Yet it will ironically include the Transcontinental rules. This seems like a missed opportunity, one which is rather disappointing...

The Canada map would have had to be about five feet wide and three feet tall. Also you would probably need a gymnasium floor to lay it all out. This was judged to be impractical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rholzgrafe wrote:
blueatheart wrote:

The Canada map would have had to be about five feet wide and three feet tall. Also you would probably need a gymnasium floor to lay it all out. This was judged to be impractical.

I recall measuring my table based on the RRT dimensions...5'x3' is about the size of that one, as I recall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
blueatheart wrote:
rholzgrafe wrote:
blueatheart wrote:

I recall measuring my table based on the RRT dimensions...5'x3' is about the size of that one, as I recall.

Right...but you would have to fit Eastern/Western AND Canada on a single table. For 98 percent of us, that's not going to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vladdswrath wrote:
blueatheart wrote:
rholzgrafe wrote:
blueatheart wrote:

Right...but you would have to fit Eastern/Western AND Canada on a single table. For 98 percent of us, that's not going to happen.

I'm reasonably certain the same claim will be made with regards to the Transcontinental variant. It will be something for "special" occasions, like cons or likewise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Eric,

I really wanted to make it fit, but if you look close, you will notice that Eastern US is portrait and Western US is landscape.

When butted together, they work, and it is possible to put mexico south of the west map, but Canada won't fit above, as the heights of the two (east/west) maps are different.

I also agree with the others, that even if we could find a way (and believe me...I tried) it would be just WAAAY to big.

Hope this helps you understand why we opted for just a stand alone map on Canada.

As for why the transcontinental rules in this expansion, I posted a long description in another thread, but the short answer is, it goes in here, or it does not get released, and Rick Holzgrafe and I would rather have SOMETHING for the giant game. With how well it did on kickstarter so far, it looks like we will get to keep adding stuff to it, so it is turning into more than just rules now too!

Thanks for the comments Eric!

Sean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd rather see the stretch rewards focus more on the Canada map and the base game in general. I don't have the Western US map, and even if I did, I doubt that I'd ever get the chance to play an East/West scenario. The East/West is a "nice to have" bonus though.

I think the tiles and color hotels are a great idea and I'd like to see more stretch rewards along those lines.

Are there Baron cards for the Canada map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:

Yes, Just like all maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
bbhalla wrote:

Yes, Just like all maps.

Except for Railways Through Time.
It could use some though, I always miss the Baron cards when I play that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
KlydeFrog wrote:
Danath wrote:
bbhalla wrote:

Yes, Just like all maps.

I thought they missed an opportunity there. Obviously baron cards wouldn't actually be appropriate, but they should have designed a new card element nonetheless, maybe "artifact" cards or something. That would have kept that mechanism in the game and been really cool theme wise...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KlydeFrog wrote:
Danath wrote:
bbhalla wrote:

Yes, Just like all maps.

Huh... I guess your right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Newcombe
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onekccs wrote:
Hi Eric,

I really wanted to make it fit, but if you look close, you will notice that Eastern US is portrait and Western US is landscape.

When butted together, they work, and it is possible to put mexico south of the west map, but Canada won't fit above, as the heights of the two (east/west) maps are different.

I also agree with the others, that even if we could find a way (and believe me...I tried) it would be just WAAAY to big.

Hope this helps you understand why we opted for just a stand alone map on Canada.

As for why the transcontinental rules in this expansion, I posted a long description in another thread, but the short answer is, it goes in here, or it does not get released, and Rick Holzgrafe and I would rather have SOMETHING for the giant game. With how well it did on kickstarter so far, it looks like we will get to keep adding stuff to it, so it is turning into more than just rules now too!

Sean

I think that linking all three & Mexico would've been more popular than you think.
I know quite a few people who love this game, and would have enjoyed the combo every now and then.
I don't see why (starting with Western U.S.) the effort wasn't put in to make the boards the same size with the ability to marry them all up in mind. If people didn't want to do it, no loss. For those who do, the epicness would've been off the chart.
I'd call this a missed oppotunity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nzcamel wrote:
onekccs wrote:
Hi Eric,

Sean

I think that linking all three & Mexico would've been more popular than you think.
I know quite a few people who love this game, and would have enjoyed the combo every now and then.
I don't see why (starting with Western U.S.) the effort wasn't put in to make the boards the same size with the ability to marry them all up in mind. If people didn't want to do it, no loss. For those who do, the epicness would've been off the chart.
I'd call this a missed oppotunity

I've only ever played the Railways of Europe map, being new to the whole RotW system, so forgive me for asking this possibly silly question.

One of the many complaints I've heard is that some of the maps are too large to allow for lots of player interaction, unless you're playing with 5 or 6 players. I'm already concerned that a Transcontinental map would be too large and players could simply spread out and not have to interact with each other. Is it not, then, realistic to assume that with 3 map boards you would average about 2 players/map in a 6 player game? It doesn't sound like much potential for interaction at all, and would lead to multiplayer solo games.

Missed opportunity? Doesn't sound like it to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:
Personally, I'd rather see the stretch rewards focus more on the Canada map and the base game in general. I don't have the Western US map, and even if I did, I doubt that I'd ever get the chance to play an East/West scenario. The East/West is a "nice to have" bonus though.

I think the tiles and color hotels are a great idea and I'd like to see more stretch rewards along those lines.

I really have to agree here. These stretch goals they're using are totally useless to the vast majority of us. It's zero incentive to back for most folks.

Meanwhile, all the stuff that's actually useful if you back this, such as hotel and mine markers, are being added for $5 each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vladdswrath wrote:

I thought they missed an opportunity there. Obviously baron cards wouldn't actually be appropriate, but they should have designed a new card element nonetheless, maybe "artifact" cards or something. That would have kept that mechanism in the game and been really cool theme wise...

I totally agree. I had the idea percolating for the last few days, and just posted some ideas for an artifacts variant at:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10292411#10292411

Let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.