Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Brader
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed there are still no written reviews, but I'm particularly interested in anyone's experience playing solo.

For those who have played a few games solo, how well does it play?

Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lewis
United States
West Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
designer
Victory By Any Means
badge
"Fear God and Dread Nought"
mbmbmbmbmb
I got part way through a scenario solo before I had to pack it up. It solos just fine, in my opinion. You lose out on the mystery of how many scouts may be in a flight, but it was still an enjoyable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
johnbeapirate wrote:
I noticed there are still no written reviews, but I'm particularly interested in anyone's experience playing solo.

For those who have played a few games solo, how well does it play?

Thanks,

I wanted to get at least one "show" under my belt before writing a review. At the moment I've played scenario 5 twice solo, scenario 5 once FtF, scenario 4 and scenario 7 FtF.

Solo... lacks some of the fog of war element of the full FtF game, but it wasn't bad either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi Rautio
Finland
flag msg tools
I'm still trying to make sense of the rules, but is there any reason in the rules for the number and type of scouts be determined only after they are identified/tallied? The number is currently determined by rolling on the tables when setting up the scenario.

Rolling a D6 for the number of scouts would simulate at least some of the FoW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meisterchow wrote:
I got part way through a scenario solo before I had to pack it up. It solos just fine, in my opinion. You lose out on the mystery of how many scouts may be in a flight, but it was still an enjoyable game.

I'm headed into a similar situation myself.

I'm currently soloing scenario 5 and in my experience thus far it solos just fine; the focus is very much on the offensive approach of the British while the German situation is more reactionary/defensive which suits easier solo play.

The way I was dealing with the number of scouts in a German flight was to not determine this until the flight was detected. Similarly I decided not to determine the flight type until they were about to takeoff. I felt this enabled a small degree of Fog-of-war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cutthroat Cardboard (Barry)
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also in the middle of scenario 5 solo as my first game. (Clearly its a popular place to start!) So far it's been interesting. I haven't found the knowledge of the size or aggression of the German units to be as much of an issue as the maneuvering to try and make sure that the Brits can get both flights into any dogfight that arises. The subtlety of the movement/combat mechanism is just begining to dawn on me. This aspect feels quite different to Downtown where it was unusual to get jumped by lots of enemy units.

Whilst the small scenarios look like they will be fine solo the larger ones might become a bit of a drain on the brain but we'll just have to wait and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Ambler
United Kingdom
Bradford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have started with Mission 1 Block one, which is a biggie. It is going very well so far.

It does take some setting up but as long as you are sensible with the British missions it works very well solo.

There is so much going on I don't seem to have much problem with Fog of War funnily enough!

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.