aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend came over just as the ups man was delivering escape, so naturally we had to play.

We ended up playing two 2-player games.

Overview:

Players cooperatively roll dice to discover new tiles, enter rooms, unlock gems, and finally escape. If any player is left behind all lose.

Components:

A ton of game and bits in the box. The starter 13 tiles provide for an endlessly replayable game. The alternate 13 tiles (mask and treasure) add some very interesting twists as well.

Quality of components and box are of course absolutely top notch. Queen continues to deliver a quality product every time.

Play time:

10 minutes hee hee.

Mechanism:

Super duper mega charged dice rolling has never been done in my experience. You are literally rolling and using dice at an adreneline thrashing pace. This game is every bit as much about comprehending and solving dice puzzles quickly (sorta like building your ship in galaxy trucker) as it is making efficient decisions.

Big brother games include space alert and wok star.

Sometimes you just have to act quickly to move on. If you're slow at games and tend to suffer from p.a. You may not like the pace of this game.

Feel:

This game feels like you're indiana jones just as the ball starts to roll towards you. A mad dice rolling dash.

Soundtrack:

Actually this was my least fav part of the game. Its cool that it came with one, but i actually just prefer a stopwatch or timer. Of course i havent used a timer yet so we'll see. I guess the soundtrack just seemed distracting. And we had trouble distinguishing if that was really the gong or the door? Maybe if it was a little more pronounced.

Im sure if i wasnt full on escaping it would be fine, but when you're full on escaping the sound effects tend to blend in with the music.

Yes but did you like it?

This game. Was. Freaking. Awesome. Ive never played anything like it. Thank god its only ten minutes or my heart would burst. We lost the first game and immedietly 'had to play again'. Yes its a HTPA game.

The second time we Barely won with one second left. We jumped out of our chairs hollering and high fiving adreneline flowing. Man. Just a damn fun and exciting game.

Things i like:

As much as it sucks for the player, halfway through the game you must return to the start tile or you lose a die. Its a very interesting twist and you know it's coming. Am i far enough along i can make it to the finish with 4 dice? Do i build the map to where i end up by the start half way though the game?

Also you'll learn to despise black masks and youll love gold masks. This part feels maddeningly awesome.

My kickstarter came with 2 promo packs and an Entire Expansion chock full of more content to explore. Theres just a ton of game here.

I know not everyone will like this. It seems to be specialized and possibly polarizing in the same way, say, Richochet Robots is. Some people like it some don't. But im telling you give it a shot. I bet you'll love it and just have to Play One More Game. Highly fun and exciting, well done Queen Games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Damerst
United States
California
flag msg tools
GameNight!
badge
GameNight!
mbmbmbmb
How do you do it without the soundtrack? You need to know when to go back to the central chamber the 2 times before the temple collapses. With a stopwatch how to you establish that and randomize it so you don't know when you must return? Just wondering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heccubus wrote:
How do you do it without the soundtrack? You need to know when to go back to the central chamber the 2 times before the temple collapses. With a stopwatch how to you establish that and randomize it so you don't know when you must return? Just wondering.

See rules here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon C.
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the wife and I played a couple games tonight, it's a crazy pace, dice flying all over the place, yelling, panic......I loved it. I like the soundtrack though, just because then you don't have to screw around with the sand timer....I could be throwing dice during those 2 seconds!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game comes with a sand timer which you can use instead of the soundtrack. I never trust sand timers so I just used my phone with a 3 minute 20 second timer. I don't think this quite matches the timing of the soundtrack, but the rules said 10 minutes and this was the easiest way.

I believe the actual timing of the events on the soundtrack are:
0:20 - Begin!
3:20 - Gong (warning)
4:00 - Door Slam
6:20 - Gong (warning)
7:00 - Door Slam
9:40 - Gong (warning)
10:20 - Temple Collapse

So the actual timing is 3:40, 3:00, 3:20.

I played 2 solo games. The first one was the most basic game, and I easily exited the temple after like 5 minutes. I only had to get rid of 4 gems, and then get 4 keys on the exit tile - not too hard.

I tried again adding the Curse Tiles and 3 extra gems (10 gems to get rid of). This one was much more intense, but I still managed to escape with about a minute to spare. And this was without any Treasures, just Curses. Of course, you can just keep adding more gems to make the game harder.

I'm sure the game dynamic is much different/harder when you only have 5 dice and need to talk/coordinate with the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Amundsen Østby
Norway
Langhus
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:
I'm sure the game dynamic is much different/harder when you only have 5 dice and need to talk/coordinate with the other players.

Playing on the right difficulty level is very important for your game experience, and -I believe- particularly important for the enjoyment of a solo game. This can be hard to determine, because players' experience levels before their first game vary greatly. If you on general consider yourself an experienced gamer, you are probably good to go for the experienced level (+3 gems), and after a while switch to the elite level (+6 gems).

To keep solo games interesting, I also think you should play with both modules from the base game (and preferably also the ones in the first expansion, which I belive you own). With many modules added, the game can be quite challenging even as a solo-game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
This is my chance to convey something meaningful! Darn. Wasted it.
mbmbmbmbmb
What a glowing review! Now I'm even more excited about receiving my copy! My fiancé tends to suffer from AP, so I'm hoping a dose of this game might cure him!

zenmazster wrote:
Yes its a HTPA game.

/Shameless Plug
Perhaps you'd like to add it to the first Geeklist I ever made, but which never took off whistle Lets do that again!!
/end Shameless Plug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:

Yeah I'd reccommend trying it w a friend or two with 5 dice each.

With only 5, it seems you're constantly having to deal with having 1-3 wounds (or what I mistakingly referred to as blask masks above). We found ourselves yelling 'help!!' every once in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
This game. Was. Freaking. Awesome.

This!

Got it yesterday, punched it and played three games, one with 4 and two with 3 players; all basic. Loved it! We lost the 4 player game (our first game) with the Exit tile being at the very bottom of the deck. We won both 3 player games with a couple of minutes to spare. We learned to stick together better in the later two games which made a huge difference (and the Exit was much higher up within the bottom 5 tiles.)

However, we're not sure we didn't "cheat" once and twice by rerolling black masks accidentally in the heat of the moment; you get very caught up. blush

My nine year old thought it was one of the msot awesome games he'd played! (coming from a smart kid who beat me at Eclipse last week, that's high praise!)

So we're very much looking forward to introducing the extra modules which is a welcome addition. I find that once you can "reliably" beat a co-op game it loses it's appeal so the ability to mix things up and tweak the difficulty is most welcome. Kickstarter money well spent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingmar Hauge
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
It's cold outside. There's no kind of atmosphere. I'm all alone. More or less. Let me fly. Far away from here. Fun fun fun. In the sun sun sun...
badge
Darn, I'm Dwayne Dibbley again....
mbmbmbmbmb
Grildensnork wrote:
zenmazster wrote:
This game. Was. Freaking. Awesome.

This!

Got it yesterday, punched it and played three games, one with 4 and two with 3 players; all basic. Loved it! We lost the 4 player game (our first game) with the Exit tile being at the very bottom of the deck. We won both 3 player games with a couple of minutes to spare. We learned to stick together better in the later two games which made a huge difference (and the Exit was much higher up within the bottom 5 tiles.)

However, we're not sure we didn't "cheat" once and twice by rerolling black masks accidentally in the heat of the moment; you get very caught up. blush

My nine year old thought it was one of the msot awesome games he'd played! (coming from a smart kid who beat me at Eclipse last week, that's high praise!)

So we're very much looking forward to introducing the extra modules which is a welcome addition. I find that once you can "reliably" beat a co-op game it loses it's appeal so the ability to mix things up and tweak the difficulty is most welcome. Kickstarter money well spent!

This *2!

I got to try it at a recent convention where Kristian had brought with a more or less completed version. I had no plans of getting any new Essen realeases this year, only a few expansions. Then I tried this...

Curses/ treasures module. Absolutely fantastic and hillarious when someone is playing with a hand on their hand while others aren't allowed to talk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Damerst
United States
California
flag msg tools
GameNight!
badge
GameNight!
mbmbmbmb
Hmm, doesn't sound as fun. Still, I look forward to playing it in it's completed form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Klaus
msg tools
I've only played 2 single player sessions so far. Both times I lost by a few seconds - without any of the additional modules

However, my dice really seem to be cursed ... the black masks come up SO often! More than twice per game I was in a situation where all dice were blocked. Is there any official rule for that? The first and second time you have to add a gem to the remaining gems. But after that? Is it Game Over or do you just add keep adding gems?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
third strike you're out im afraid. But the game's only 10 minutes long, so no biggie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Amundsen Østby
Norway
Langhus
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMagician wrote:
... the black masks come up SO often! More than twice per game I was in a situation where all dice were blocked. Is there any official rule for that? The first and second time you have to add a gem to the remaining gems. But after that? Is it Game Over or do you just add keep adding gems?

This doesn't happen so often when you get more experienced. Saving some dice with yellow masks for later is often wise, even though you become a bit slower since you roll fewer dice that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always hold back exactly one yellow die for emergencies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Klaus
msg tools
Thanks for the tips guys.

By the way, I was playing the single player version with only 5 dice and have just found out that I'm allowed to use 7. That may have had to do something with it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kelly
United States
Petersburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the soundtracks, i had similar issues, with the gongs and doors being hard to hear through the soundscape layered over and around them. Fortunately, Queen Games has a 'template' soundtrack file available for download from their site (http://www.escape-queen-games.com/download.html). This file has only the initial "ESCAPE" and the gong(s) and door slam for each timer period. Our family uses only this file for our plays, for two reasons. One, it is easier to hear the gong(s) and door slam without the extra noise. Two, my children are already stressed out enough while playing the game and knowing there is a time. The extra sound effects caused my daughter to refuse to play at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.