Jeff G.

Reisterstown
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pursuant to 'Inverted Counters"/Rule 1, a unit must "sacrifice a movement factor for each turn in which the unit turns one to three sides of the square during its movement."

Does that mean you can change a unit's facing without incurring a movement point cost prior to starting its movement?

Or that you could adjust its facing (typically, by assuming a defensive posture) after completing its movement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, someone actually trying to play the unplayable, Dunnigan's greatest folly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd interpret that rule strictly: movement begins when you touch the counter, and it ends when you move your hand away. So no free facing change at the beginning or end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Schreiner
msg tools
The way the rule is written and the example given seem to indicate the facing may be set before you actually move, but the 1 MP is applied for any change afterwards. There appears to be no penalty for inverting a unit in any direction. I would add you invert ONLY on your turn.

If you like "fog of war" but this rule is still too cumbersome, simply reveal with combat and invert when no longer adjacent, ignoring the other provisions (except the replacement rule).

I pull this classic out every now and then and find it easy to play solitaire a couple turns at a time using this rule. At my age no problem forgetting the identity of inverted units. I go all the way back to the original 1958 AH Gettysburg and 1914 remains a true innovation for its time. Computer games eliminate a lot of the tedious aspects of board games, but there's no eye strain and it's somewhat soothing to be able to leave a colorful board game setup and go back to it as desired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Schreiner
msg tools
Forget my other response; it has been a number of years since I looked at this. Apparently you can set the facing in any direction when you invert, but it is only charged 1 MP no matter how often it changes direction during movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lewis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
papahoth wrote:

YUCK!!!

I totally disagree with your put down of 1914 and Dunnigan.

TML [a retired professor, and a war gamer for nearly 50 years]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TCLCATSPAW8MCHS wrote:
papahoth wrote:

YUCK!!!

I totally disagree with your put down of 1914 and Dunnigan.

TML [a retired professor, and a war gamer for nearly 50 years]

Totally agree with you! A great design, and great designer ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.