Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the other day I added a new version of 3 different games all by the publisher eeBoo. The items included a version of Go Fish!, Picture Dominoes, and Memory. When I went to the eeBoo publishers page and looked at the linked items I see that all three games are linked but none of the thumbnails for these game versions show the eeBoo version or the eeBoo game name. This seems like a flaw to me. When I go to a publisher's page I want to see that publisher's actual games, not some generic game photo.

Is there any way the unique publisher version can be linked instead? I didn't see any way to add a link or edit/suggest a correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that's possible. If I'm not mistaken, the thumbnails for linked items always show the game's representative image, not a particular version's representative image. If you want to see the images for a version, you have to go to the game page and then click the entry for the version.

It might seem like a flaw - but how would you handle it if the same publisher has published more than one version of the game? Which image would be shown then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
I don't think that's possible. If I'm not mistaken, the thumbnails for linked items always show the game's representative image, not a particular version's representative image. If you want to see the images for a version, you have to go to the game page and then click the entry for the version.

It might seem like a flaw - but how would you handle it if the same publisher has published more than one version of the game? Which image would be shown then?

Well in the case of eeBoo they have published multiple versions of different games. I think that each "version" is what should be linked and not just the generic game entry. What's the point of linking a generic game and having info on the publisher page that doesn't have anything to do with the version they published? In the example I am talking about with the publisher eeBoo the stats that are listed by the linked games have nothing to do with they game the publisher actually published including the year published. This is misleading and beyond not useful.

Certainly when looking up the games a publisher is supposed to have published you would expect to see the games they actually published and the year those games were actually published. What is the point otherwise? It's a stretch to have to go back to the linked game and then search through the versions list to find an actual match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree that it would probably make more sense to see an actual version by that publisher, I don't agree that the current state is "beyond not useful". At least it tells you that eeBoo has published versions of Memory, Picture Dominoes etc. and that you can look them up there.

Also the problem remains, what if eeBoo had published several versions of one game? For example, big publishers like Ravensburger might have several dozens of Memory versions. How would this be handled? I'd rather there was only one linked item to show me that Ravensburger has published Memory, so that I can still easily see what other games they've got as well, rather than page after page of Memory version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I guess that is were we disagree. I would want to see all the different versions. I know that eeBoo has published at least 3 or 4 versions of Memory with very different themes in different years. I would like to see an entry for each of these in the list of their games and not just one generic entry that doesn't even show one actual version.

In my opinion a list of games a publisher has published should be just that. NOT a list of the "type" of games they have published. It is much more informative and accurate a representation of what a publisher has done to show that they have printed 10 or 20 versions of dominoes versus just saying they produced a dominoes game and leaving it at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.