Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Date: November 11th, 2005

Game: Attika

Players: Johnny, Stephane and Valdir (myself)

After the two games of Die Fugger we settled on Attika, the game they were ready to play before I got to the club. My first experience with this game a few months ago at the club had not been exactly spectacular (see my session report here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/81486), so I wasn't particularly looking forward to this one...

I got Sparta (the yellow board in the picture above) and we started building our settlements in ancient Greece. It seems that they forgot one minor setup rule: we didn't put four buildings on our personal boards to start the game, we started from zero. Well, as long as everybody is following the same rules, I guess, it doesn't matter too much anyway...

I spent too many actions putting buildings on my personal board and not enough on the main game board. This put me at a clear disadvantage. In the end Johnny and Stephane were racing to see who would be able to build the last building, while I still had a lot of buildings still on my playing area.

There were some attempts by Johnny to threaten linking shrines but they were easily blockable, so they didn't go anywhere. Stephane and myself were not even thinking about linking, we were not close to doing it.

In the end it came down to Stephane almost making it, he was down to one building left when he completed his last turn but then Johnny was able to build all his buildings before the round would go back to Stephane. After they finished I would still have to play some five rounds or so to build everything that I was still keeping in my area. Definitely I have to read some articles on strategy on this game, I don't know what I did wrong...

Final Score

Winner: Johnny (by building all 30 buildings)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is the best with two players.

Remember that putting a piece you draw on your player mat and not on the board is costing you at least 1/3 of a turn in speed, even if you build it later for free. Also, everyone else is getting to use more resources on the board than you. Usually, if you draw a building and can build it for one card, you should do so. Board space is a premium.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you lose with 3 or 4 players (or 6 ,which I have done)
Are you playing with the sudden death rule?
If so switch to the
'3 aphora reward' per connection variant.
I feel it's the same with any # of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ValJor wrote:

It seems that they forgot one minor setup rule: we didn't put four buildings on our personal boards to start the game, we started from zero.

Huh? Really? Hmmm, it's not that we forgot the rule, it's that we didn't even know it. I guess every single game of this that I've played has been wrong. Oh well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.