2 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Variants

Subject: Extension to the Catacombs variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lipa LeChuck
msg tools
mb
I've only recently noticed the Catacombs variant, and it's great fun!
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9014462#9014462

I have one additional house-rule, however, that I would like to share.

First, before I go into the rules, let's tackle the idea thematically. I see the whole situation this way: The GOO is resting somewhere beneath the museum (this is why bad things happen here in the first place). You must make your way to the Catacombs, find the GOO (by finding enough Elder Signs), and then destroy him before he becomes too powerful (before the Doom track is full).

Rules up to entering the Catacombs remain the same. The rule changes begin once you enter the Catacombs and have enough Elder Signs. Now, the GOO becomes "partially" awake. You apply the awakening effects, but you *do not* discard the adventures, mythos cards etc. From now on, the GOO attacks each midnight, yet you are still free to roam the museum! The idea is that each time you would gain an Elder Sign from now on (regular adventures, Catacombs adventures etc.), you instead *remove* a Doom token from the Doom track. Besides the adventures, you can even try the "GOO adventure", i.e. completing the GOO task, to remove a Doom token. You win once the Doom track is empty.

The reasons to come up with this idea are several: First, I love battling the GOO during the game, as a requirement. Second, I find the official GOO battling mechanics boring (repetitive). And third, I like things to make sense thematically, and I think that this variant pretty much does the job.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
http://chrisbogert.wixsite.com/chaturanga-family
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea.. sounds cool. I'll give it a shot when I have a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.