Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hypothetical Situation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Gardner
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Consider this: I am corp with 5 credits and no ICE protecting my HQ. I have a remote server with a rezzed ICE protecting an agenda and an unrezzed corporate troubleshooter. On the runner's turn, he plays account siphon.

Can I rez corporate troubleshooter and immediately trash it, spending my 5 credits to give the rezzed ICE in the remote server +5 strength for the rest of the turn?

I believe yesterday's FAQ supports that this is legal. Next question:

Would the runner be able to jack out after he saw me spend all of the credits he was about to steal?

I believe the order of events would prevent him from being able to jack out. However, since account siphon says the runner MAY force the corp to lose credits, he can still just access cards as normal and not be stuck with 2 tags and no money to show for it.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I like to think about hypothetical situations like this. In the unlikely event that a situation like this arises, I try to think about what I would do. Like maybe spend 4 credits on corporate troubleshooter and leave 1 credit in my pool to force the runner to choose to take 2 credits + 2 tags or access cards and leave me with 1 credit. Even leaving 2 credits in my pool and forcing the runner to decide whether 4 credits is worth 2 tags. Baiting the runner into a snare in HQ wouldn't work because you wouldn't have the credits to pay for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes. In fact,that's the only way I'd use the Troubleshooter - I won't rez it until the moment I use it.

2. The runner cannot jack out against the first ICE they encounter, so they're stuck with that. After dealing with the ICE, they may jack out as normal. If not, and the run is successful, I'm pretty sure they still have the option to access cards from HQ instead of the money you no longer have. The wording seems a bit clumsy, but ideally the word "may" makes the entire action optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Corp can rez cards at TWO times during a run: when the runner approaches a piece of ICE and during step 4.3 of a run, after the runner has decided not to jack out after approaching the attacked server but before accessing cards. I believe you can rez Corporate Trouble Shooter in this way during step 4.3. There are no conditionals Corporate Troubleshooter's ability.

This would happen after the runner has past his last chance to jack out, so, while he could choose to access cards instead of drain credits, he'll still get the tags.

(I edited this from my original post because, duh, you don't have ICE in front of HQ. It was early and I was very sleepy when I started typing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually, the point at which you could rez and use Corporate Troubleshooter, (4.3) comes after the decision by the runner to jack out or not (4.2). But, as you said, the ability is optional, so if you drain your money they can always revert to a normal HQ run and access a single card from your hand to avoid taking those 2 tags.

You could absolutely use Corporate Troubleshooter in this way, yes. I think I'd leave 2 credits if I did that. Gaining 4 credits isn't that attractive when it'll cost all of them + 2 actions to get rid of the tags. They'll be paying 2 actions to rob you of two credits in essence in addition to giving up the chance to access a card. So they'll almost certainly choose to access and you'll get to keep your 2 credits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gardner
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Quote:
This would happen after the runner has past his last chance to jack out, so, while he could choose to access cards instead of drain credits, he'll still get the tags.

Are you sure about this? The account siphon wording is a little bit clumsy but I interpret the tags to only come if you decide to take the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syncitia wrote:
Quote:

Are you sure about this? The account siphon wording is a little bit clumsy but I interpret the tags to only come if you decide to take the money.

I agree with you. If you don't take the money, you don't take any tags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Butaman551 wrote:
If you don't take the money, you don't take any tags.

This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make a run on HQ. If successful, instead of accessing cards you may force the Corp to lose up to 5 [Credits], then you gain 2 [Credits] for each credit lost and take 2 tags.

I would interpret that as gaining the tags only if you drained money.

If the Runner accesses a card instead, all they did was cause the Corp to panic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I guess in response to Account Siphon you shouldn't just use Corporate Troubleshooter to go broke, but maybe leave one or two credits in your pool. If the runner wants to trade a few measly credits for two tags, fine by me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.