Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the fourth of the sneak previews leading up to the release of the game at Spiel 2012.

For the earlier previews, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

For my previews on the other new games...
Goblins Inc.: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
Dungeon Lords Festival Season: Part 1 , Part 2, Part 3
Galaxy Trucker: Another Big Expansion: Part 1, Part 2

Exciting times ahead.... Today I am going to cover the 3 other gears in the game and roughly what they do.

Note: In all the images below, the imaged used for the central gear is not what the final one will look like, although it will be very similar.

This is the Tikal gear (prounced "Tee-Cal" I think, but some people will no doubt keep saying "Tickle" and sniggering.

There are three main abilities on this gear.

Technology
Positions 1&3 allow you to develop some kind of technology. More on this in the next preview, but basically there are 4 technology tracks, which all change the way that certain other actions work for you in the game. Position 1 allows you to move one of your markers on one technology track to the right. Position 3 allows you to do this twice.

Buildings
Position 2 allows you to construct one building.
Position 4 allows you to either construct two buildings or one monument. The extra icon above one of the buildings shows you that if you do construct two buildings, any special bonus you get for constructing buildings does not apply to both.
More on buildings in a later preview.

Temples
Position 5 allows you to pay 1 resource (wood, stone or gold) to advance upwards on two different temples.
Guess what.... more on temples in a later preview (if there is time before Essen)

This is the Uxmal gear and offers a whole variety of things to do.

Position 1: Pay 3 corn to advance up one temple
Position 2: Go to the market, swap resources for corn, or vice versa. Wood is worth 2 corn, Stone 3 and Gold 4.
Position 3: Gain an extra worker
Position 4: Instead of constructing a building yourself using wood/stone/gold, pay someone else (the bank) to do it for you! Instead of spending resources, pay corn instead.
Position 5: Spend 1 corn to use ANY action space on any of the gears we have covered so far (Palenque, Yaxchilan, Tikal and Uxmal). Sooooo many opportunities.

Finally, the Chichen Itza (which I have my own pet name for it, but the CGE guys would kill me if I told you what I call it)

This gear is special in a number of different ways
1. It is bigger and has more teeth
2. When you take your worker off an action space, you need to pay 1 skull (which is placed in the oval space)
3. That space is then locked for the whole game and cannot be used by anyone else.
4. It's name reminds me of an italian type of food with a form of white meat on it.

All the action spaces do something similar. They all give you a certain amount of VP. They also advance you up one of the temples (shown by the god icon). And some of them give you a resource of your choice.

A lot of points can be gained by placing skulls on these spaces.

Next preview:

Technology, buildings and the temples. Although its going to be tricky to fit this all in before Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember the Chichen Itza gear being very interesting when I played this in playtest at UK Games Expo. Send a worker out there, with a view to leaving them there about 6 turns, and start trying to pick up a skull in about 3 turns. But then another player takes the spot you wanted (green temple + resource, say), and a turn comes where you really don't want to pick up any other workers so you have to spend corn to move back anticlockwise around the gear to a less-good spot.

I think the flavour I was told was that you were venturing deeper and deeper into some spooky caves, with the aim of leaving a crystal skull there as an offering to some gods, and the deeper it goes the more pleased the gods are. I'll be interested to see how well that'll come across from the printed rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
alextfish wrote:
I think the flavour I was told was that you were venturing deeper and deeper into some spooky caves, with the aim of leaving a crystal skull there as an offering to some gods, and the deeper it goes the more pleased the gods are. I'll be interested to see how well that'll come across from the printed rules.

I think thats what I got told when I was first shown the game, so I carried on with that story. However, back then, this gear was called something different entirely, although it did the same thing. I think this gear now represents a sacred location. No caves any more I'm afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For position 4 on Uxmal (Pay someone else to build) Is that the bank, or another player? I assume it is pay to the bank and not force one of your opponents to give up resources to build (in excange for corn)

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniele tascini
Italy
Macerata
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
N9IWP wrote:
For position 4 on Uxmal (Pay someone else to build) Is that the bank, or another player? I assume it is pay to the bank and not force one of your opponents to give up resources to build (in excange for corn)

Brian

Yes. It is as you guessed. Paul likes to bring you deep in the set of the game... but basicly you pay corn to the bank to get a building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming gears 6/7 and 10 (on chicken pizza ) let you use any previous spot for free without paying extra corn cost for moving forward/back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. The last space (or spaces) are the same rules as I mentioned in the earlier preview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bruni
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
...Finally, the Chichen Itza (which I have my own pet name for it, but the CGE guys would kill me if I told you what I call it)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
'Chicken Pizza'?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Weeks
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the edition being released at Essen multi-lingual or at least have English Rules?

Thank you

Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
joelbear wrote:
Is the edition being released at Essen multi-lingual or at least have English Rules?

Definitely english rules, currently proofreading them The board however, and all the components are all multi-lingual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Weeks
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and the English rules will be included with the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Weeks
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess what I'm asking is, will it be game rules with the game art on it. It seems like its cutting it close to be proofreading them 2 weeks ahead of Essen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be english rules, in the game. CGE always cut things fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Weeks
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Paul, hopefully my friend who is working at another booth will be able to snatch me one before they are all gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-H Boudje
France
VENSAC
Gironde
flag msg tools
mb
Is there a way to move thoses gears? Or is it only a cosmetic way of ajusting rewards from one round to the other one?
I mean, is it a dynamic gears, or a static one for ergonomic purpose, like in Ora&Labora?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
again, is this likely to get sold out at Essen Paul or is it a large enough print run that we won't have any trouble getting it from the UK/European online stores?

You can see which companies are publishing the game within Game Information here at BGG. The game will be available shortly after Essen in German and English versions, other versions will follow.

As any year we're selling some games at our stand but majority of production goes to the publishers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Boudje wrote:
Is there a way to move thoses gears? Or is it only a cosmetic way of ajusting rewards from one round to the other one?
I mean, is it a dynamic gears, or a static one for ergonomic purpose, like in Ora&Labora?

You mean whether they move? Yes, they move

The gears are attached to the board by fasteners and then sticked over so you don't see the fastener anymore. The board itself is comprised of 4 interlocking pieces. You don't have to remove the gears anymore, as all the pieces fit in the game box with the gears attached.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-H Boudje
France
VENSAC
Gironde
flag msg tools
mb
I mean: did they move 1 step each round, or can you choose to move them sometimes during your action turn, choosing when to move, and how much field you move?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boudje wrote:
I mean: did they move 1 step each round, or can you choose to move them sometimes during your action turn, choosing when to move, and how much field you move?

They have to move in a predictable fashion or no one could plan ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-H Boudje
France
VENSAC
Gironde
flag msg tools
mb
Predictable is one thing, but if it move one step each round, it's just a cosmetic thing to skip the preparation phase where player move their pawns one step right on a classic track.

I don't say it's not good: the wheel may be good to avoid to manipulate lots of pawns, but at first I was thinking moving the wheel (the correct way)was part of the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boudje wrote:
Predictable is one thing, but if it move one step each round, it's just a cosmetic thing to skip the preparation phase where player move their pawns one step right on a classic track.

I would say slightly more than "cosmetic", when you're moving potentially dozens of pawns, moving them all individually is somewhat error-prone.

But sure, of course the game could exist without the physical gears. That would be true even if the gears moved irregularly, you could just move everyone's pawns by hand every time it's required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
H-H. I recommend reading my sneak previews from the start. I'm pretty sure (I hope) I've covered how and when the gears move.

Could the gears be removed? Well, yes. What you could do is replace the entire gear system with a set of five horizontal tracks for each gear, and then instead of turning the central gear one step, you could painstakingly pick up every worker on each track and move it one step to the right, which would take absolutely ages and be prone to errors. So fiddly in fact, that I don't think I'd want to play the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-H Boudje
France
VENSAC
Gironde
flag msg tools
mb
I'ld like to say that you didn't cover that aspect, but that was your second sentence of the first preview.
I was so existed that I didn't noticed it, ages ago when I read it for the first time.

I understand the ergonomic choice of the gears, and even if the connection of several gears is not exploited in the gameplay, this rotation system is a clever design, allowing to track more option, and provide more choices.

Thanks for the entire preview series, for answers, and for all the appealing pictures of that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniele tascini
Italy
Macerata
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a case where you can rotate the gear covering a double step....
in the developing of the game this aspect was larger, you could move the gear any time for more then one step... but we dropped this for balancing purpose, and to make the game more predictable, helping the strategic aspect of the game over the tactical one already well developed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-H Boudje
France
VENSAC
Gironde
flag msg tools
mb
dizzark wrote:
There is also a case where you can rotate the gear covering a double step....
in the developing of the game this aspect was larger, you could move the gear any time for more then one step... but we dropped this for balancing purpose, and to make the game more predictable, helping the strategic aspect of the game over the tactical one already well developed.

I undestand the choice of strategic aspect over the tactic one.

It's just that thoses gears has so much gameplay potential that I was a bit disapointed that it was not fully exploited...I assume that's why on the early developpement stage you tryed to play a lot with them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.