Subject: Dungeon Generator? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Carbone
Australia
Elizabeth Vale
south australia
flag msg tools
Just got Descent in the mail today.... looking forwards to the first game!

I bought Descent on the back of playing Doom: The Boardgame with some mates.

One tool that they used which I thought incredibly awesome, was a Dungeon generator which removed the need for an OverLord (or whatever its called in Doom).... it built a random map with small amounts of flavour text, allowing the players to simply have fun slaughtering monsters co-op, while progressing towards the exit.

Is there any such tool for Descent? Otherwise, I fear I'll eternally be the OverLord in my game group cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm aware of no such tool. I for one wouldn't mind a simple hack-n-slay variant for D2e. It's probably not too hard to implement, except that you'd probably still need someone to control the monsters in order to provide a reasonable challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the Variants forum. Monster AI is the tricky bit. Some people don't mind playing both sides -- even running solo. Then again, some people just seem to enjoy the role of Evil Overlord ... so many monsters, so few heroes to eat. YMMV.

Another interesting idea that one couple suggested, if you aren't tied to playing the pre-made quests, is what they called a Skirmish variant. Two parties of heroes race from opposite ends of a map to reach a central objective. Each side controls the monsters the other side is fighting through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Triu wrote:
Monster AI is the tricky bit.

Actually, IIRC, the D&D dungeon crawlers (e.g., Wrath of Ashardalon) have a semi-intelligent AI. Each monster moves and/or attacks based on certain conditions (example).

This could probably adapted for D2e. I wonder how well (or poorly) that'd work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Carbone
Australia
Elizabeth Vale
south australia
flag msg tools
That's the sort of house rules we implemented in Doom to make the AI work.

Monsters:
- Spawn at the point which places them as close as possible to any hero, while still being out of LoS (obviously this rule would need to be amended for Descent)
- Target the hero nearest to themselves
- Play any special abilities at the earliest opportunity

It worked really well in Doom... I'm pretty sure it could do with this game too.

Also, I'm not sure if this is part of the official rules of Doom, but we only unveiled the map as doors were opened.... that made for a really good "random" encounter map too.... because we had no real idea what path to take to achieve our objective

If nobody knows of an app that exists, I'll probably have to put one together myself at some point. Just need to find a few days free time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiduz 99
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While it is probably possible to AI the monsters movement and attacks I cannot see how you would tackle the Overlords deck?

The cards allow for tactics and in some cases it is not in the Overlords best interest to play every card he/she can each turn.

Part of the fun for me is when the Overlord is sneaky and plays a card to out run us to the objective. Also during a close game suspense builds up for the Heroes as a card draw could give the Overlord a chance to pull off a win.

I was originally put off playing the Overlord due to a bad experience on another game where my options were just to push figures around a board. This game gives the Overlord alot of room to be cunning and devious! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it would be very easy to convert the existing quests to co-op, since the overlord often has objectives other than just "kill the heroes". However, I could imagine a variant quest (possibly a full campaign) that's balanced from the ground up around an AI-controlled overlord. You'd be able to balance everything around the assumption that the monsters are on auto-pilot, removing the need for an overlord deck (or possibly creating a modified one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Neufeld
Canada
Port Alberni
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One idea for a simple hack and slash for D2e would be for the overlord to plot a medium sized map (at least 3 large rooms and some hallways), and have the hero's try to escape out the exit. The overlord could even conceal the map layout (just have it on paper) so that the hero's are wandering about. Have about 3 open groups or something close to that with 1 respawn per group at the end of OL turn. Groups aren't activated until the hero's enter the room.

For the overlord to win the game he has to kill all the hero's, and to do that you could do a 2-3 knockdown rule (then removed) or if the hero has have 3 monster's adjacent to him when he is knocked out he is devoured! gulp

All this is quite flexible obviously.

I've played this before with my brother when I first bought the game, just so that we could experiment with different skills and such. The game took a while, but it was still a lot of fun.

Maybe somebody could come up with a quest like running the gauntlet so-to-speak I would but between kids/work I don't have much time for game playing cry

My 2 cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.