Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Hollebeke
Belgium
Gent
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Is there any way of copying a geeklist item into another geeklist.
Ex. You put some games in a math trade list and when the next math trade comes around you would just like to copy your personal entries of the first math trade geeklist (that weren't traded of course ;-) ) into the new math trade geeklist.

thanks,

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely that wouldn't save clicks from a straight up copy/paste?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately copy/paste doesn't retain any formatting, images, or any other special things done on the GeekList entry.

As far as I know, there isn't. When a Math Trade closes, the GeekList is locked and you can't see your original code and formatting for the post (which normally you could by clicking edit). I've had to relist several items from time to time before they traded, so I've looked into some work arounds that you might consider.

First, before a Math Trade ends, you can copy/paste your Geeklist item into a Word document so that for a new math trade, you can copy/paste from word to create a new list item.

Another option is to create a private/unpublished GeekList with an entry for each of your games. Whenever a new Math Trade comes up, go to your GeekList. Click 'edit' for each list item, and copy/paste into the Math Trade.

Of course, sometimes you'll need to remember to change a few things based on the rules of the math trade or what kind of math trade it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a math trade specifically, the OLWLG will more or less do that for you - follow the add item to geeklist link for the current trade and follow the instructions to get your item from the older trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VolcanoLotus wrote:
For a math trade specifically, the OLWLG will more or less do that for you - follow the add item to geeklist link for the current trade and follow the instructions to get your item from the older trade.

I really need to try this out sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
VolcanoLotus wrote:

I really need to try this out sometime.

It's a huge timesaver. Excellent feature. Downside is that it's easier to replicate mistakes (shipping/condition/edition omissions, etc.) from one trade to the next, so it still pays to read it over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
Unfortunately copy/paste doesn't retain any formatting, images, or any other special things done on the GeekList entry.

As far as I know, there isn't. When a Math Trade closes, the GeekList is locked and you can't see your original code and formatting for the post (which normally you could by clicking edit). I've had to relist several items from time to time before they traded, so I've looked into some work arounds that you might consider.

First, before a Math Trade ends, you can copy/paste your Geeklist item into a Word document so that for a new math trade, you can copy/paste from word to create a new list item.

Another option is to create a private/unpublished GeekList with an entry for each of your games. Whenever a new Math Trade comes up, go to your GeekList. Click 'edit' for each list item, and copy/paste into the Math Trade.

Of course, sometimes you'll need to remember to change a few things based on the rules of the math trade or what kind of math trade it is.

Um, not even when you copy paste it from the editing box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
'moi' shall wholeheartedly concur with the previous 'reply' upon using their EDIT-'feature' in order to accomplish just THUS too! Along with having TWO 'windows' open with these as well on garnering the desired result, to go "back & forth" betwixt them also!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Dolus wrote:

Um, ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
How about these: "SAVE as a 'draft'-item"; here within BGG then? It'll 'preserve' everything "as is" so they could PREVIEW and REVISE/ALTER whatever also for that even.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
Dolus wrote:

Um, ?

Sure I guess if people are going to go out of their way to make the process harder for you . . . it's going to be harder for you. Very simple fix. So yeah. Um.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hollebeke
Belgium
Gent
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Surely that wouldn't save clicks from a straight up copy/paste?

I was thinking along the lines of a feature where you just click one of your items in a geeklist and then fill in the nr of the new geeklist in a pop up window. This would save me quite some time and clicks. (not to mention that I do not need to select the correct image anymore)

I will try the OLWLG tip next time.

Thanks for the answers.

Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Dolus wrote:

I can't open an editing box from old Math Trades. Whenever I've trade, it says I can't. I assumed it was because the Math Trade has closed and the GeekList is locked. So no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
I can't open an editing box from old Math Trades. Whenever I've trade, it says I can't. I assumed it was because the Math Trade has closed and the GeekList is locked. So no.

You could ask the owner to unlock the list for a bit so you can copy stuff out, or ask him to copy and GM the entries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.