Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb

This image should never have been approved... What the hell geekmods?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't bother me. Gives me a good idea of what mid-game Power Grid looks like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
ianoble wrote:

Did you fail to see the big blurry hand on the left hand side???

Guidelines for the Game Gallery

Quote:
Rule Scans: Please don't upload scans of the rules pages.
Permission: Images for which you don't have permission.
Offensive: Image contains inappropriate material.
Corrupt: Image does not display properly.
Too small: Image resolution is too low. (Images should be at least 320x200) Company logos are an exception - they are allowed at any resolution.
Duplicate image: Image is already in the database.
Too similar: Image is similar to an existing image and is not of significantly better quality.
Please do NOT submit individual images for every mini or every card in a minis heavy or card heavy game. This is especially true for collectible minis games and CCGs.
Blurry: Image is not well focused.
Under/Overexposed: Image is too dark or bright or obscured by a reflection from the flash.
Badly cropped/rotated: Image has too much white space or is sideways or upside-down.
Wrong item: Image is submitted for the wrong item.
Painted miniatures and custom components shouldn't be upload to this gallery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarashi wrote:
Did you fail to see the big blurry hand on the right hand side???

Yes. I did however see one on the left. And it totally didn't bother me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarashi wrote:
ianoble wrote:

Quote:
Too small: Image resolution is too low. (Images should be at least 320x200) Company logos are an exception - they are allowed at any resolution.
Too similar: Image is similar to an existing image and is not of significantly better quality.
Please do NOT submit individual images for every mini or every card in a minis heavy or card heavy game. This is especially true for collectible minis games and CCGs.
Under/Overexposed: Image is too dark or bright or obscured by a reflection from the flash.
Badly cropped/rotated: Image has too much white space or is sideways or upside-down.

It's not out of focus and I see no white areas and it appears to be the right way up. Perhpas you would care to give an example of the picture it's too similar to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
It's not out of focus and I see no white areas and it appears to be the right way up. Perhpas you would care to give an example of the picture it's too similar to?

Shall I continue? There are plenty of images on BGG of games of Power Grid being played. I would have no problem with image if it weren't for the giant fuzzy arm on the left hand side.

Allowing any image to be posted on the geek makes for clutter. Why do you think the limit the number of images on VGG? For this very reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Quarashi wrote:
ianoble wrote:

Quote:

The geekmod system is set up on the basis of "if in doubt, reject" and that image is worse than several I have had rejected. As pointed-out the photographers carelessness with getting their hand into the shot is the basic problem. That is out of focus (inevitably) and should have been cropped (OK, it is pink-space rather than white), but then that would also have cropped a bit too much of the game board.
It should only have been accepted if it showed something really interesting (admittedly, someone winning PG on the basis of mainly eco-plants is extremely unusual)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyholt wrote:
The geekmod system is set up on the basis of "if in doubt, reject" and that image is worse than several I have had rejected. As pointed-out the photographers carelessness with getting their hand into the shot is the basic problem. That is out of focus (inevitably) and should have been cropped (OK, it is pink-space rather than white), but then that would also have cropped a bit too much of the game board.
It should only have been accepted if it showed something really interesting (admittedly, someone winning PG on the basis of mainly eco-plants is extremely unusual)

Well put. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyholt wrote:
The geekmod system is set up on the basis of "if in doubt, reject"

If only it were true.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks to be a player's arm to me on the left side, and while it's out of focus, it's not the primary subject of the photo. I can see the argument for cropping though. I probably would have rejected on that basis (for god's sake, stand up or get your buddy to move or something, or step back, get everyone in the shot and submit to the people gallery).

That said, I've seen way worse offenders get through, and this seems like an awful big deal to be made of a somewhat borderline case.

On the subject of "there's enough pictures of Power Grid being played"... yeah. There is. Same is true of an awful lot of games. Have you ever browsed the pictures for a war game? Users apparently feel that moving one of these square chits from this hex to that one is worthy of uploading a picture. I try to weed out as much as I can using the "Similar" reason, but they usually just go straight through. Maybe we can get a PSA for that or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fastlane wrote:
That looks to be a player's arm to me on the left side, and while it's out of focus, it's not the primary subject of the photo. I can see the argument for cropping though. I probably would have rejected on that basis (for god's sake, stand up or get your buddy to move or something, or step back, get everyone in the shot and submit to the people gallery).

I have no problem with the rest of the picture. Two seconds of "Hey can you move your arm?" would have resolved this.

fastlane wrote:
That said, I've seen way worse offenders get through, and this seems like an awful big deal to be made of a somewhat borderline case.

I wish there was a way to remove an image after it makes it through geekmod if enough people down vote it.

fastlane wrote:
On the subject of "there's enough pictures of Power Grid being played"... yeah. There is. Same is true of an awful lot of games. Have you ever browsed the pictures for a war game? Users apparently feel that moving one of these square chits from this hex to that one is worthy of uploading a picture. I try to weed out as much as I can using the "Similar" reason, but they usually just go straight through. Maybe we can get a PSA for that or something.

Once again, I have no qualms with the subject matter of this image. My point was that there are plenty of 'good' images of Power Grid being played that this image has no right being approved until it is at least somewhat presentable. In its current state it should have never been approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the photo perfect...No. Is it is good enough for inclusion on site. Sure, and obviously enough people agreed that it did pass the mod system.

I have a bigger issue with a relatively new member (only 2 months but already a patron)of the board posting their pictures of their first play of a particular game and getting it absolutely blasted by a long time member. I don'think of our community typically being characterized by such behavior. You may have intended to be focusing on the mods but by implication your also attacking the person posting it. New users should be encouraged to participate and if you feel strongly that they were in error then contact them privatally on ways to improve their contributions rather than public blasting away with both barrels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarashi wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Shall I continue? There are plenty of images on BGG of games of Power Grid being played. I would have no problem with image if it weren't for the giant fuzzy arm on the left hand side.

Allowing any image to be posted on the geek makes for clutter. Why do you think the limit the number of images on VGG? For this very reason.

First off the bottom three are people playing shots not game specific. and every popular game has tons of relatively similar pictures.

What made this the straw the broke the camels back?

I've seen tons of individual cards and Individual miniatures.
Box picture after box picture.

I personally like more pictures than less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yoren wrote:
Is the photo perfect...No. Is it is good enough for inclusion on site. Sure, and obviously enough people agreed that it did pass the mod system.

I have a bigger issue with a relatively new member (only 2 months but already a patron)of the board posting their pictures of their first play of a particular game and getting it absolutely blasted by a long time member. I don'think of our community typically being characterized by such behavior. You may have intended to be focusing on the mods but by implication your also attacking the person posting it. New users should be encouraged to participate and if you feel strongly that they were in error then contact them privatally on ways to improve their contributions rather than public blasting away with both barrels

Sigh....

If I was blasting the person who posted this I would have commented in the image comments.

ALSO! If this had been a "veteran" who posted this, I would have said the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thread number 12983 in the "What Were They Thinking When They Approved This?" series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes mods why should two identical pictures be allowed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Yes mods why should two identical pictures be allowed?

Clearly you are not a wargamer.

Second of all. Read my posts please. I have repeatedly said my problem is with the composition of the image not the subject matter.

Also, if you look at all the other images posted for that game, those are the only two images of the actual game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyholt wrote:
As pointed-out the photographers carelessness with getting their hand into the shot is the basic problem. That is out of focus (inevitably) and should have been cropped (OK, it is pink-space rather than white), but then that would also have cropped a bit too much of the game board.

As a photographer, I just want to point out a couple of possibly pedantic things:

* The arm on the left side of the photo is clearly not the photographer's. It's the player's to the left of the photographer.

* The arm is motion blurred, not out of focus. Okay, that's not completely true. With focus on the game board, the depth of field is such that anything that close to the camera would be somewhat out of focus. But the obvious blurriness is due to motion.

On the second point, motion blur is not always a bad thing because it implies motion and can be used to suggest activity in an otherwise static shot. While I do think it distracts in this particular photo, saying that all photos with motion blurred elements should be rejected is short-sighted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
andyholt wrote:
The geekmod system is set up on the basis of "if in doubt, reject"

If only it were true.

+1. I see new mediocre and redundant images being added every day that add no value at all.

In truth the system is based on "if you want geekgold, upload pretty much any pic and even if it gets rejected at first someone will eventually approve it".

Then the rest of us can enjoy wading through pages of crappy images to find the few really nice ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fastlane wrote:
On the subject of "there's enough pictures of Power Grid being played"... yeah. There is. Same is true of an awful lot of games. Have you ever browsed the pictures for a war game? Users apparently feel that moving one of these square chits from this hex to that one is worthy of uploading a picture.

To be fair, it should be noted that some of these photos are a holdover from the days before there was a personal photo gallery to hold images for the purpose of illustrating game replays, for instance.

I agree that users should be somewhat sensitive of uploading very similar photos especially for older/popular games which have so many photos. There is now a place (the personal gallery) for photos that users may wish to post to BGG to make some point in a forum post, for example, whereas before the inception of gallery the only recourse may have been to post it in the game page. In this case maybe there was justification as noted above. But I do think perhaps more is better with photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to say GeekMod gets my approval today as a whole bunch of single components (cool though they were) just got declined thumbsup

If people wish to criticise the geekmodding system then this is welcomed but I'm not keen when we end up criticising individuals who have acted in good faith.

Firstly, I think it's really important to highlight that the photographer did the right thing by adding a picture that he/she felt could be good enough for the game's gallery. No criticism should be directed towards them at all.

Secondly, if there is to be any criticism then it should be aimed towards the system and not the modders, in my opinion.

Geekmod works like a Jury and if the majority of good geek citizens pass an image, well then that image is good enough. Geekmoding is based on subjective interpretations of the guidelines and subjective analysis of the image; we are never all going to agree.

All this said I would like to see more constructive and fun ways to get modders to better interact with the guidelines and to help make geekmod more consistent and fair on all. I can think of some fun competitions that might bring us together rather than pull us apart. Finally if someone can come up with a better system or ways to improve geekmod then do add them via the suggestions forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
we are never all going to agree.

Well put...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarashi wrote:

This image should never have been approved... What the hell geekmods?

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
From Stop paying geekgold for image modding

dkearns wrote:
Octavian wrote:
chearns wrote:
Geek gold for image modding is flawed.

That depends on what you think the purpose of GeekMod is. It's primary function is to provide a quick review process for images that prevents corrupt and spam images from entering the galleries. It does that very well.
-MMM

If the primary function of geekmod is prevent corrupt and spam images, what are all these instructions for? (see below for geekmod instructions)

Quote:

Too small: Image resolution is too low. (Images should be at least 320x200)

BGG is sending two different messages to people and I feel that this leads people to complain about geekmod.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Rokkr wrote:
Thread number 12983 in the "What Were They Thinking When They Approved This?" series.

Yeah, this thread should have been rejected for being too similar to other threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.