flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Vikings hit the tables.
Good luck at the tourney this weekend.

Played Race for the Galaxy -- 2 expansions
I pulled out a close win 66-62

Alien Frontiers was up next.
This win went to the Kuub.

Any advice on "setting up" in a four player game.
I find that with this game in four player mode there is very little you can do to help yourself in the next turn so you play your best and move along. There doesn't seem to be the ability to "set up" anything.
If there are some Alien Frontiers experts that disagree, let me know.
There must be something you can do, other than the holograph that you can do to plan.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it's hard to say.

Give us an example of what you expected to be able to setup?

Example, your 'best move' may look like grabbing the 'ore' while it is unblocked, but if you don't plan to use the ore anytime soon, perhaps that isn't really the best move. Perhaps moving that colonist 1 more space along the hub is.

Doesn't grabbing the stuff you need prior to whatever you want to do on the following turn count as 'setting up' your next turn? What about taking control of that one area on the planet to gain it's special ability that goes hand in hand with your master plan? Doesn't that count as 'setting up' your subsequent moves?

I do realize that due to the extreme amount of player interaction in Alien Frontiers, anything you setup for can be foiled by another player, but this is what sets this game apart from other Euro's. It's definitely NOT multilayer solitaire and what you can and can't do on any given turn highly depends on what the other player's do. You can't just come up with a plan at the start and work towards that for the end game. You need to be flexible and adapt to what's happening. It could very well be that this is what you mean by only being able to "make the best move" on your turn. This is more of a tactical game rather than a stategic game.

I'm also far from an expert, but thought I'd give my 2 cents, typos and all.

It's not for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerAtom wrote:
it's hard to say.
I do realize that due to the extreme amount of player interaction in Alien Frontiers, anything you setup for can be foiled by another player, but this is what sets this game apart from other Euro's. It's definitely NOT multilayer solitaire and what you can and can't do on any given turn highly depends on what the other player's do.

It's not for everyone.

I think you hit on it right there.
You are right, it isn't multiplayer solitaire.
I guess the challenge is making the best decision, for the best move, for that turn, but not really any further than that.
So I guess it is a question of depth.

Thanks.
goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrZoz wrote:

I guess the challenge is making the best decision, for the best move, for that turn, but not really any further than that.

And that's why this game can be a bit of a drag with AP prone players. They can't really plan what to do before their turn comes.

With that said, I'm more a tactical player than a strategic one and also do not suffer from AP, so I enjoy it quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no expert, but that's pretty much what I found with AF.

Just bash the leader, and hope you're in a position to win when it gets back to you again. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.