Subject: October Baseball rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another season is in the books. Some craziness at the season which came down to the last game. A's overtook the Rangers by sweeping the last three games after Texas was in first for almost the entire season and Oakland was 13 games back mid-season. The Yankees barely stayed ahead of the Orioles after not being ahead by more than 2 games for over a month. Detroit coming from behind to knock off the waning White Sox.

AL East: Yankees
AL Central: Detroit
AL West: Athletics
AL Wildcard: Orioles, Rangers

NL East: Nationals
NL Central: Reds
NL West: Giants
NL Wildcard: Braves, Cardinals

Who you got in the playoffs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone else watch the Wild Card one-off playoff games?

Baltimore a mild upset over the Rangers who blew it at the end of the season. Congrats to the Orioles who haven't been in the playoffs since the 90's.

Crazy game in Atlanta where the Braves lost in Chipper Jones last game to the Cardinals. This was the first game I've ever seen with a dispute in the Infield Fly rule.

Crazyness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
As a non baseball follower, I looked up the infield fly rule when people kept linking that video. From my perspective, it was certainly against the spirit of the rules and possibly the letter as well.

*In cricket the Spirit of the rules is sometimes more important than the rules themselves: People can be called back to continue an innings, players retract appeals and everyone gets on splendidly. Mostly. Except when Pakistan are involved.

I think most people would agree with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orioles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
One questionable call isn't a big deal to me. They will happen in any sporting event with human judges.

The problem I have is with one game playoffs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
One questionable call isn't a big deal to me. They will happen in any sporting event with human judges.

The problem I have is with one game playoffs.

I actually don't have a problem with these one game playoffs, because it rewards the division winners and punishes the wild card teams. But I think I am in a small minority here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a good weekend for Bay area baseball.

San Francisco and Oakland are both down 0-2 in their division series.

The wild card teams also didn't fare that well. Baltimore and St. Louis losing to the East champs.

(Go Yankees)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanthi Gonzales
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am Boogie, the world's cutest dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
All my teams had a bad weekend: the A's, the Orioles (lived in the Baltimore area for several years) and the Packers (just love them). cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jazgonz wrote:
All my teams had a bad weekend: the A's, the Orioles (lived in the Baltimore area for several years) and the Packers (just love them). cry

Well Baltimore did better last night. They evened the series against the Yankees.

Also the Cards tied up the series with the Nationals.

Tonight two games that could both eliminate Bay Area teams. The Giants and the As can both be eliminated tonight against the Reds and Tigers respectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't believe Yanks wasted that Pettitte start. Should be 2-0, they're wasting too many opportunities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luds wrote:
Can't believe Yanks wasted that Pettitte start. Should be 2-0, they're wasting too many opportunities.

They left 10 men on base and were 2 for 10 with runners in scoring position. Two dead spots in the line up seem to be Granderson and A-Rod. When you have runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs you have to score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the bay area wants to stay in the playoffs.

Both the Oakland A's and the San Francisco Giants managed to stave off elimination with wins today.

4 games scheduled for tomorrow.

A's @ Tigers (Tigers lead 2-1)
Giants @ Reds (Reds lead 2-1)
Orioles @ Yankees (tied 1-1)
Cardinals @ Nationals (tied 1-1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
The A's and Giants are probably gone after tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Neill
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GO CARDINALS!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was wrong about the Giants...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarc wrote:
GO CARDINALS!!!!!!

Can they pull off the upset. They came into last years playoffs as a long shot wild card to win it all. If they can beat the Nats anything is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A-Rod = Not clutch

Raul Ibanez = Mr Clutch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A fun wild and crazy day in playoff baseball yesterday.

San Francisco Giants and Oakland A's won their respective games to tie up those series after they were both down 0-2.

St. Louis Cardinals shock the Nationals with a blowout win to go up 2-1 in the series.

The Yankees come back on the bat of Raul Ibanez to go up 2-1 on the Orioles coming from behind on an Orioles team that is known for not allowing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlieturtle wrote:
A-Rod = Not clutch

Raul Ibanez = Mr Clutch

Ya this ain't 2009 anymore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another MLB playoff quadruple header today:

Cardinals @ Nationals (Cardinals lead 2-1)
Giants @ Reds (tied 2-2)
Orioles @ Yankees (Yankees lead 2-1)
A's @ Tigers (tied 2-2)

Both the Oakland A's and the San Francisco Giants managed to tie up their respective series after being down 2-0.

The aging Coco Crisp seems to be the hero for the youthful A's.

Raul Ibanez came in for the hapless A-Rod to single handedly win the game for the Yankees. Well he and some great pitching.

Nationals fall to 1-2. Wonder if Strassburg was in if things would be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yanks have not excuse. All 4 starting pitchers did an outstanding job, no one's hitting! What happened to the hot streak Cano, Suzuki, Swisher were all riding? Cano's swinging like he intends to just ground to 2nd every time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Scott
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a huge Reds fan, it was a disappointing end to a great season. Hopefully they'll be back next year. On the other hand, lots of teams to root for that are still in it. Would love to see a Washington-Baltimore world series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luds wrote:
Yanks have not excuse. All 4 starting pitchers did an outstanding job, no one's hitting! What happened to the hot streak Cano, Suzuki, Swisher were all riding? Cano's swinging like he intends to just ground to 2nd every time!

Yup, no excuses. When you have players getting more than 8 strikeouts in 4 games you have no one to blame but yourselves. We'll see if they step it up tonight with CC on the mound.

magi210 wrote:
As a huge Reds fan, it was a disappointing end to a great season. Hopefully they'll be back next year. On the other hand, lots of teams to root for that are still in it. Would love to see a Washington-Baltimore world series.

I think this result surprised everyone. Up 2-0 with 3 games at home to go you should win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every single series went to game 5 this year. A's losing a heartbreaker to the Tigers in game 5. The Reds getting torched at home in a 3 game home losing streak to the Giants.

2 game 5's tonight:

Baltimore at NYY
St. Louis at Washington

It's for all the marbles tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baltimore goes down in a game 5 that saw A-Rod ride the bench, Ibanez get another RBI, Granderson redeem himself with a great night, and Sabathia pitch a complete game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.