Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played with this kingdom card from Seaside once, but because I got burned with it. Drew three cards and had to trash a gold, but was going for some Ruins in my deck. It seems to be too risky, even for the +1 action. I played it later, but can't play it too early either. Has anyone else had better experience with Lookout, or know how you would play it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
You had only gold and province in your three cards? Seems like you were winning that game anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caltexn wrote:
I've only played with this kingdom card from Seaside once, but because I got burned with it. Drew three cards and had to trash a gold, but was going for some Ruins in my deck. It seems to be too risky, even for the +1 action. I played it later, but can't play it too early either. Has anyone else had better experience with Lookout, or know how you would play it?

It's not an impressive trasher, but it's decent enough. The risk of destroying a good card is actually pretty limited. It's a risk, but then again, every poor card you didn't trash is a constant risk that you won't draw a better card.

I will usually only go for lookout if there are no better early trashers out there, and I really need trashing. But that's more because it's mediocre, and less because of the risk of drawing three good cards.

Oh, and on the 'how I would play it' part: If I need to trim my deck, and have no better tool, I buy the lookout as early as possible and use it on every opportunity. I try not to worry about the risk, because the numbers almost always favor playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time, by the point you have three very good cards in your deck (Gold or above) you've probably reached the point that you won't want to play Lookout any more. It's great for trashing Estates early game and sifting for your next hand, after all, of the three cards on deck, you get rid of the worst and leave the best, which both improves your next turn slightly and your entire deck for the rest of the game, albeit only by a small amount.

Everyone's that's played for a while has probably seen the nightmare cases of drawing Gold, Province, Colony or similar, but it's not common, and by the point you might be drawing that hand, your Lookout has already thinned your deck and done it's job amicably already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
You had only gold and province in your three cards? Seems like you were winning that game anyway.

I drew two Gold and a Pirate Ship with 4 coins. I lost a close game.

Good comments all. I guess I got a little unlucky, could happen.

Didn't think about thinning the Estates early, nice thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
Most of the time, by the point you have three very good cards in your deck (Gold or above) you've probably reached the point that you won't want to play Lookout any more.

And even then, the potential benefits from slimming even further outweigh the (small) risk of losing a gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll King's Court a Lookout and not worry about it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
It is also a pretty good counter for attacks that try to hit your next turn like Sea Hag, Rabble, Bureaucrat or fortune teller albeit those last 2 attacks are pretty weak anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I had a bit of success recently playing Lookout with Tunnel. I was able to thin the junk out of my deck (Copper, Estate) and was often able to find a Tunnel to discard in the top 3 cards. That also helped keep the Tunnels from getting drawn into my hand, where they would otherwise just become a junk card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had the choice of trashing a bunch of coppers, estates, and a gold vs. keeping them all in my deck, I'd choose the former. For the cost of losing a gold, you improved almost every other hand you drew.

Lookout is much better early game when most of your deck is expendable. It's also great in games where you expect to keep getting stuff to trash, like curses, ruins, rats, and coppers from mountebank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Green
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The keys to using Lookout keeping track of your cards and knowing when to stop.

The standard play with Lookout is to focus on trashing and not to play it unless you know for sure that you will not have to trash anything good. This can happen very often early on when you have a higher proportion of trashable cards and few enough good cards to keep track of easily.

- If you have 2 or fewer good cards in your draw deck, Lighthouse Lookout is a safe play because the 3rd revealed card will always be trashable.
- If you have 3 good cards, Lookout is only safe if you've got at least one of them in your hand or discard.
- If you have 4 good cards, Lookout is only safe if you've seen 2 of them, etc.

Sometimes it can be a good idea to buy more than one Lookout to defend against Curse Attacks, or if you need an engine to come together more quickly. Lookout is best paired with a draw-chaining strategy which chiefly allows you to immediately draw the best-of-three card that you laid on top of your deck with the Lookout. A draw chain also lets you see a lot of your cards at once, which gives you a better picture of how many trashable cards you have left. Lookout is riskier with high Treasure density strategies like Big Money types.

The risk of playing Lookout rises during the endgame with the possibility of forcing you to trash VP. The reward also rises, as Lookout gains the ability to discard VP cards and top-deck something strong for next turn or immediate drawing. Gambling on Lookout in the endgame is risky and addictive, but sometimes it gives you just enough tempo boost to keep up in a close game. You must be willing to burn a few of your points if you think your top-decked card will end the game faster.

For online players, a game log has a perfect memory if you're willing to take the time to read through it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
KernTheGerm wrote:
For online players, a game log has a perfect memory if you're willing to take the time to read through it.

Booo!!! I was going to thumb your post until I read this last line.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Green
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, I would have thought you'd stop reading at the point where I started calling it "Lighthouse" instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caltexn wrote:
I'm not wild about Lookout either. I lean much more towards it when going up against Seahag. The +1 action is nice with a card draw. Nothing beats knowing ahead of time that your next card draw will get you that Province/whatever for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.