6 Posts

Fireball Island» Forums » General

Subject: This is probably a stupid question but.. 5 or 6 player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Casson
Wales
flag msg tools
I have recently bought this after drooling over it in the Cinemassacre review. I am from the UK so there is not the emotional attachment our American cousins enjoy when discussing and playing it. In fact the game as i write this is still in the post. I have a boardgames night after Christmas every year for 8 years! And wonder how difficult or even conceivable it would be to add pawns and/or custom cards and create another player or two as nobody likes sitting out!

Thanks for your time
www.Thomascasson.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game will take a bit longer, but there's no reason it wouldn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have played it several times with more than 4 players! It's awesome! It actually helps keep everyone together even more, as the leader gets fireballed a bit more often, and makes the cards (especially "go again" and "magic talisman") even more valuable. It may take a bit longer, but the extra chaos and fun is totally worth it IMO.

I only have one of the original pawns, and I use Star Wars Micro Machines figures (about the same size as the pawns) for the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
We have played up to like 7 I think, maybe even 8. We use pawns from some version of Risk that are guys on horses. They are the right size and weight for the most part.

We do two things differently with more than 4 players:

1) No fireballs until everyone is past Witchlord Step/The Ruin (just move 1 space if you roll a 1). This just speeds up the early game (where not much is happening and everyone is constantly in a leapfrogging line) a lot and keeps the playing time reasonable with that many players.

2) With that many players, there are just way too many fireballs if you use the RAW (statistically with 6 players, someone is gonna roll a 1 every full rotation). Our house rule is that if you roll a 1, you roll again. Depending on the number of players the result of the second roll will determine if you move 1 or roll a fireball. I'm not sure we've ever actually codified it, but it's something like, on your secondary roll:

5 players: If you roll less than 5, fireball, otherwise move 1 space
6 players: if you roll less than 4, fireball, otherwise move 1 space
7 players: if you roll less than 3, fireball, otherwise move 1 space

Note that playing a fireball card still always allows you to roll a fireball, and you may use "reroll the die" to affect either an initial or a secondary roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Casson
Wales
flag msg tools

Could you tell me why if they have re-rolled a high number why not just move the adventurer the number on the dice shown? So.. in a 5 player game if someone rolled a 1 and then re-rolled a 5 or 6 why not move the pawn 5 or 6 spaces? I must be missing something which is probably obvious in your custom rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
Thomas Casson wrote:

Could you tell me why if they have re-rolled a high number why not just move the adventurer the number on the dice shown? So.. in a 5 player game if someone rolled a 1 and then re-rolled a 5 or 6 why not move the pawn 5 or 6 spaces? I must be missing something which is probably obvious in your custom rule.

No real reason except then you would have a lot more 5-6s in the game (any 5-6 rolled, plus 1/3 of all 1s rolled). Not sure that is actually a problem though, as it would speed up the game. If you want to play it that way, I say go for it! The rule is really just to control the number of fireballs being rolled on the die with more than 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.