fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/ruined-spanish-fresco-m...

Quote:
‘Ruined Spanish Fresco Monkey Jesus’ costume makes rounds on Internet

In what could be called a Halloween costume work of art, "Ruined Spanish Fresco Monkey Jesus" is buzzing as one of this year's top getups.
Inspired by the gaffe of an elderly woman who failed to restore a 19th-century work of the face of Jesus called "Ecce Homo," Reddit user Spinjump crafted his masterpiece, which he debuted at Anime Weekend Atlanta.

The creative mask captured perfectly the tilted and blurred face of the restored work, which some have renamed "Monkey Jesus." The costume's face even diminishes the nose and mouth of Christ, as in the botched restoration.

Images of the Halloween guise are making their way through the Internet today with the headline "2012 hot Halloween costume." On Twitter, some of the myriad of comments include:

"Put away your Avengers outfits and Honey Boo Boo costumes. Best Halloween fancy dress this year, hands down" — @RyanJohnNelson

"Excellent Restored Jesus Fresco Costume Game over. Can't top this. I'm going as a ghost." — @princessstomper

"The Hottest Halloween Costume for this year is clearly 'Monkey Jesus'. Though Steve Job's Ghost is still in the top 10." — @RGPphotog

The failed restoration has caused a spike in visits to the church. So much so that the artist who blurred the face of Christ wants royalties.
Now, her handiwork has inspired a top costume this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Hopefully moving back to Colorado again soon. Here we go family, next new adventure!
mbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Quote:
So much so that the artist who blurred the face of Christ wants royalties.

I just want to get this last part correct. The lady messes up a picture of the Christ and thinks she "deserves" royalties from the Church? Really, so she figures she can just come in a take a dip in the poor box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yeah! since I've already 'mentioned' about "such" within there before: Halloween Costume whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeRm! wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

Quote:
So much so that the artist who blurred the face of Christ wants royalties.

I just want to get this last part correct. The lady messes up a picture of the Christ and thinks she "deserves" royalties from the Church? Really, so she figures she can just come in a take a dip in the poor box?

That's like hitting someone with your car and expecting a cut of the insurance money they wouldn't be getting if you hadn't hit them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand, she did the work for free. And botched it horribly. And now tourists are flocking to the church in droves to see the botched job. So many tourists in fact that the church has had to begin charging them to limit access by reducing demand.

And to be clear, it is the botched painting that the tourists are coming to see.

Whether or not she "deserves" royalities is in question, but the fact that the church is making money now that they were not making before due entirely to the botched restoration gives her an argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If I was truly the product of “Intelligent Design,” I’m pretty sure my fingers would be smaller or my nose would be bigger.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an interesting article about this at "Lowering the Bar", a legal humor site. You can find it at this elegant and finely-crafted link. I love the last line of the article:

The [woman's] claim seems to be based on copyright, and I know something about that but not enough to know whether you can claim royalties if your spin on the original work involved destroying the original work.

(Lowering the Bar is an interesting website. Besides the humorous things he finds in the legal realm, he is also concerned about the current erosion of civil liberties and individual rights caused by the "War on Terror".)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.