Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently own 2 core set, and one copy of each expansion (so far). I'm wondering the merit of multiple expansions (X-Wing/Tie) vs Core set?

The ability cards are not random (as far as I know), so is there a good advantage to select 2 Tie Expansion with a X-Wing expansion over a core set?

The only advantage I see is that you'd be getting more of the possible pilots and abilities, so more of your ships could be equipped with those abilities.

Does anyone really use these benefits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided to buy enough fighters to run all the unique pilots at the same time. So that is 6 TIEs, 4 X-Wings, 2 TIE Advanced, and 2 Y-Wings. To get that I bought 2 base sets and 2 of each expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The non-unique pilots are the same in the expansion as they are in the core set. The only benefit to buying the expansions would be if there was a non-unique valuable droid or pilot ability, and frankly I just don't remember where each card came from.

I've been making sure to buy at least 2 of everything...that way I have spare copies of unique cards in case something happens.
I got 2 of everything, but picked up a couple extra ties so I could do the 8 tie swarm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kmanweiss wrote:
The non-unique pilots are the same in the expansion as they are in the core set. The only benefit to buying the expansions would be if there was a non-unique valuable droid or pilot ability, and frankly I just don't remember where each card came from.

I've been making sure to buy at least 2 of everything...that way I have spare copies of unique cards in case something happens.
I got 2 of everything, but picked up a couple extra ties so I could do the 8 tie swarm.

Base game has Determination (also found in the TIE expansion), Marksmanship (also found int eh X-Wing Expansion) and 1 copy of the Proton torpedoes (also found in X-Wing and 2 in Y-Wing expansions).

Unique to the X-Wing expansion is Expert Handling (also in the TIE advanced) and the generic R5 astromech (truly exclusive)

Unique to the TIE expansion is Swarm Tactics (also in the TIE Advanced).

Unique to the Y-Wing is the generic R2 Astromech and Ion Cannon Turret (and the previously mentioned stuff).

Unique to the TIE Advanced is the Cluster and Concussion Missiles (and the previously mentioned stuff).

This is just the non-Unique stuff. Obviously the expansions have unique pilots and astromechs but one copy covers you (unless you want spares as mentioned).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kmanweiss wrote:
I just don't remember where each card came from.

The inserts in the expansion packs have a list of components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It means to me that if I only want to play at home, I can easily proxy everything with 1 copy of each expansion.

The biggest issue would be the wheels and maybe extra tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aljovin wrote:
The only advantage I see is that you'd be getting more of the possible pilots and abilities, so more of your ships could be equipped with those abilities.

I wouldn't let the lack of having multiples of cards dictate whether or not a ship could have the upgrades/abilities. I see the cards more as a convenience factor, but if I only have one card of a certain type, and it's not unique, I'll certainly assign it to multiple ships if I want them to benefit from the effects (creating a ship console will be one of the first game aids I'll probably make).

With that said, and back to the main thrust of your question, the Core Set is ideal due to the price point and extra dice (unless you wanted more X-Wings than TIEs). The only exception, and this is also a borderline convenience issue, are the cardboard inserts that slip into the base since they're double sided. If an expansion has more than one unique pilot, and you find you must choose between one side of the insert or the other, then grabbing another of those expansions might be worth it to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not totally positive about this, but I think all the unique pilots have generic pilots on the flipside of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Fox
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I purchased exactly the same items as Mundane did above for 3 reasons:

1) To get all the ships I wanted

2) To get one set cheap (online) and to get one set from my FLGS (to help support them)

3) To get some pieces immediately and not wait for my pre-order to ship.

I'm very happy with this assortment of ships and have used every ship in combat during various matches. I have played several combinations from 1 v. 1 to 3 v.3 and feel like this number lets everybody have fun playing and allows them numerous options.

The real question to ask yourself is this: Do I want to play with several friends on a regular basis and/or in any upcoming gaming tournaments? If the answer is yes to either of these, I would strongly recommend getting multiple expansions. I was surprised just how many of my friends were adamant about what vessel they wanted to control (i.e.- two friends really wanting to play a Tie Advanced or Y-Wing at the same time). Having at least two of each has proved very beneficial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rogue Squadron wrote:
I purchased exactly the same items as Mundane did above for 3 reasons:

1) To get all the ships I wanted

2) To get one set cheap (online) and to get one set from my FLGS (to help support them)

3) To get some pieces immediately and not wait for my pre-order to ship.

I'm very happy with this assortment of ships and have used every ship in combat during various matches. I have played several combinations from 1 v. 1 to 3 v.3 and feel like this number lets everybody have fun playing and allows them numerous options.

The real question to ask yourself is this: Do I want to play with several friends on a regular basis and/or in any upcoming gaming tournaments? If the answer is yes to either of these, I would strongly recommend getting multiple expansions. I was surprised just how many of my friends were adamant about what vessel they wanted to control (i.e.- two friends really wanting to play a Tie Advanced or Y-Wing at the same time). Having at least two of each has proved very beneficial.

I got 2 core set and one of each expansion. We're going to play at home, and I'm going to provide the pieces for the whole group (me and my sons), so I'm thinking of using some proxy for the couple of times we may want a bigger combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
magadizer wrote:
I'm not totally positive about this, but I think all the unique pilots have generic pilots on the flipside of the card.

The cards are one-sided. it is the ship tokens that are double-sided with a named character on one side and a generic on the flip side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
magadizer wrote:

The cards are one-sided. it is the ship tokens that are double-sided with a named character on one side and a generic on the flip side.

Sorry that's what I meant by card. Wrong terminology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Keep in mind, by late 2013, it will be laughable to really talk about the core set whenever there will likely be 24 unique ships floating around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jtabler wrote:
Keep in mind, by late 2013, it will be laughable to really talk about the core set whenever there will likely be 24 unique ships floating around.

I don't know. With that many ships, you are going to want more damage decks, maneuver templates, range rules and dice. Core set is the only place to get them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
jtabler wrote:

I don't know. With that many ships, you are going to want more damage decks, maneuver templates, range rules and dice. Core set is the only place to get them.

Sorry, I meant this "great debate" over core set vs x-wing tie fighter packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex M
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It all comes down to the non unique cards and if you will only play with as many as you have.

If you do not mind using the same non unique card multiple times don't bother with buying 2 Tie and 1 X-Wing expansion and buy the core set a second time.

The non unique extra crads are:
R5 Astromech
Expert Handling
Determination
Swarm Tactics x2

Now if these 5 cards are worth about 5$ and missing out on the exta stuff from the core set (markers, dice and stuff) to you then go ahead and buy the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.