Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It would be awesome if users could add custom fields to the play-logging interface for specific games. I think this would be most useful for games with variable player powers (i.e. Cosmic Encounter, Dominant Species) but I'm sure it would be nice in a lot of situations.

What I mean is that users should be able to add fields, just like they can add games to the database. A user could add an optional field to each player for Dominant Species that adds a dropdown with the 6 available animals so you can specify which player played which animal.

I realize there is a freeform comments box and I currently attempt to use this (sometimes) to track this sort of information. But having the ability to create actual fields that all users could use would have some benefits-

1. More convenient- you can have a nice clean dropdown restricted to the only 6 options for easy selection and clean data

2. Aggregable- if all users have access to the field then you can track statistics in the aggregate and answer questions like "among BGG play loggers, which side wins more often, Russia or USA? Sauron or Free Peoples?" or "which end game condition are players hitting more often, running out of colonists, or running out of space for buildings?".

I'm sure it would be a pain in the neck to implement but it would be pretty awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a reason you can't record such ideas in the "comments" section?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mylittlepwny wrote:
Is there a reason you can't record such ideas in the "comments" section?

As I said in the OP...

"I realize there is a freeform comments box and I currently attempt to use this (sometimes) to track this sort of information."

However, I list reasons why having actual fields would be a significant improvement over each user developing their own personal system using the freeform comments box. Really, it's the same reason why we have any of the other fields. Technically, game length, number of players, who played, etc...could all be tracked in the comments box. The data would be significantly less useful and significantly less convenient to record. For these same reasons, custom fields would be a very nice feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.