Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Zembrzuski
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, just wondering if Ares will be posting a .pdf of the rule book for WW1. I have this pack on order but it's nice having the manual on my iPad as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As the rulebook is a major component of the game, Ares does not have plans to release it as a PDF at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
As the rulebook is a major component of the game, Ares does not have plans to release it as a PDF at the moment.

I understand that, but why is 'Wings' WWII any different?

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We posted on the 'net the WW2 Starter Rules (we'll also post WW1 Duel Packs rules), which are not the same as the full compendium included in the Rules Pack (which we don't plan to post at the moment, but maybe that will change in the future).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Stepakistanski
United States
Metro Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
cybernex wrote:

I see this is a couple year old query/response, so would like to address again.

Pardon my cynicism, but that mentality is a scam and a half. Does Ares realize one could simply find a person who had the rules already and scan/photo copy them?

Perhaps this is what FFG realized when they decided to completely publish ALL X-WING MINIATURE REGULATIONS completely free of charge for their faithful patrons. That and possibly avoiding alienating patronage with unnecessary milking tactics.

Walk with a minute through the train of thought. . .

I can buy 1-2 more planes for the cost of buying just the rules. Consider a person who has bought the Duel Packs. They advertise being everything you need to run a game of WoG WWI.

This is true. Until you go ahead and buy a separate single plane booster pack which may have some special features that pertain to special rules that you are not going to find in your Duel Pack.

So now you are left with planes you cannot use, until you purchase another $20 rule set. Which as stated, interestingly, you can look to other companies who market nearly identical concept games and they offer complete comprehensive rules for free.

When you buy an X-Wing ship, if that ship has special abilities, all regulations for those special abilities are included with that ship. It is only the BASE regulations that pertain to all units in general that are part of the intially required Purchase of the Core Set. . and even still, I'm not aware of FFG marketing a Rule Set that isn't also part of a Core Set which includes ships to use.

It seems a bit.. scheming in a way, for a company to put out something like the Duel Pack, which states that it contains all components necessary to play, but then when it comes to additonal planes I might purchase, (ex: planes with gunner turrets for diff arcs etc), I'm also forced to purchase a separate rules set to use with it?

I don't really mean to be accusatory, but I dump tons of my hard earned money in to these hobbies, and this just completely rubs me the wrong way. It seems FFG is confident enough in it's patrons faithfulness to supply the rules at no cost. The regulations for X-Wing are no less integral than for WoG.

It's a shame, because the parts of this game I have been able to play have been incredibly fun. I'd like to buy more planes, but now knowing that first I have to invest another $20? It's definitely a discouraging thought.

If I were to advise a person on this game based on my thoughts and discovery right now, it would be to only buy a Duel Pack for the fun of that exchange, and then never buy another Wings of Glory piece until the Comprehensive Rules are provided to the community at not cost.

So now, two years later, is it still Ares policy to keep the COMPLETE COMPREHENSIVE Wings of Glory WWI rules under a strict $20 viewing charge lock and key when competing companies such as FFG provide their COMPLETE RULES PDF compeltely free of charge?

Feel free to shoot me down (pun intended). This is just my opinion as one individual and one eager gamer with a finite budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my understanding, each single plane booster that requires special rules has them included.

Taken from the Wings of Glory: WW1 Special Packs description;

"The first WW1 products for Wings of Glory are two extra-large models: the WW1 bombers Caproni CA.3 and Gotha G.V. Each Wings of Glory: WW1 Special Pack contains one painted and assembled 1/144 model with the flight stand and the maneuvre cards related to that airplane, the special rules leaflet, the plane consolle, and counters required to play with these models. The WWI bombers are featured in two different color schemes each.

Wings of War players can add these new models and their rules to the game without any problem."

I took the liberty of bolding the relevant part.

From my understanding, the Rules and Accessories Pack is not necessary to play the game. It's simply a convenient package for all the rules of the system, as well as adding extras such as trenches and other stuff that are not required to play the game.

If you enjoy the base game and simply want to keep it at that level, you're fine just buying the single plane boosters. If you want all the optional rules, bells and whistles to expand your game into something else, then you're invited to purchase the Rules and Accessories Pack.

I'm fairly certain that if other miniatures gaming companies put out campaign books or other materials, they wouldn't be expected to provide them for free downloads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not quote X-Wing as a good example of a complete basic set. I bought it, I played it, and at least three times during my first game session I had to roll more dice than there were in the box. Rolling the same die more than once is not an option, since all dice thrown must be compared against all dice thrown by your opponent. Oh yes, there is a pack of dice sold separately - good to know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Stepakistanski
United States
Metro Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
I rescind my grievance and strike them!

Apologies, my own oversight is to blame! I have since discovered online PDFs containing my needed information that are indeed supplied by Ares, I will smack myself on the wrist, when no one is looking. I promise. shake

angiolillo wrote:
I would not quote X-Wing as a good example of a complete basic set.

I was mistaken in levying my complaint about a lack of product company support on that front, and apologize for my hastiness.

Dice count for XW is very valid concern I cannot dispute. I too felt it should have at least 4/4. However, also a noteworthy observation along that track is core contents and value.

If you look at individual MSRP prices for XW ships (14.95) and WoG planes (13.90), and then you compare them to what comes with the respective Cores (XW 39.95US, WoG WWII 69.90US), you are actually paying for counters and rules if paying MSRP for WoG WWII Core, while with XW, you are getting the counters, rules, and rulers/game pieces for free, plus $5 less than what you'd pay for buying those 3 ships in boosters.

WoG WWII Core - 55.60 worth of planes -69.90 MSRP = -14.30
XW Core - 44.85 worth of ships. -39.95 MSRP = +4.9

That better be some really sweet cardboard for $14. Not that I blame you for the pricing or think anyone should be paying MSRP. Just a hawkish consumer watching my back is all. If I bought everything someone told me I needed I wouldn't be able to barely afford gaming.

Gracias for WoW/WoG though! Great game and loads of fun! Again apologies for the faulty complaint in my OP. It is stricken to reflect the irrelevance.

Onward to clear skies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please do not consider WW2 Starter Set as meaningful - it has been out of production for long, prices are not reliable any more.

Let's take the first shop I find with Google:

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/table-top-miniatures/wings-of...

WGF Duel Pack has a MSRP of 29.90 dollars, a discounted one of 20.93. The miniatures there included, at the price they had when released (now standard price for miniatures is 1 dollar more), have a MSRP of 13,90 each, a discounted one of 10.99. So cardboard has a MSRP of 29.90 - 27.80 = 2.10 dollars, discounted at 20.93 - 21.98 = -1.03 dollars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit I don't understand why the rule book is not must be purchased, I understand the rest of the contents, but I own 3 boxes of WOW and the booster card sets and now have about 8 fighters 2 bombers and two game mats.
I really think I should have access to the new rules due to my loyal customer status.
Don't get me wrong I love the game.
I think that Andrea Angiolino involvement in the forums is great, I thank him for his hard work.
I understand that the rule book is part of the profit but I feel that with all I have purchased so far I should not have to pay for an update to the rule set, if we own it we should get any updates made so we can keep up with the games progression.
Its like asking people to pay for the update of a smart phone.
I just think there should be a way for those who have bought so much WOW/WOG to has access to the rule changes, and rewriting of the rules.

And remember this is coming from a big fan of the game, I am not attacking it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any way to just buy the rulebook itself?
I have every WOW set so I don't really need the cards or counters, just the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:

cry What if we ask nicely and say pleeeeeeeeeeease?

In all seriousness. I would prefer to have both the hard copy and a PDF of he rules and expansions such as my new really awesome Giants of the Sky.

I tend to both keep them on my tablet to take with me and also they are nice to print out the relevant sections. Sticky fingers ruins a good rule book. It makes it so much easier.

I use tend to keep the original put away safely. And the printed copy is easier to share and no harm if someone spills something. I use the tablet pdf for myself. A handy reference where ever I got even if I don't have the rule book with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.