Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, we have X-Wing, Y-Wing, even the A-Wing is already sheduled for Wave 2. What about B-Wing?

According to Wookeepedia:

"The B-wing starfighter was one of the largest and most heavily armed starfighters/bombers in the Rebel Alliance's fleet."

So, what would be the stats for the B-Wing?

Weapons : 3
Agility : 1
Hull : 2
Shields : 4

Upgrades:
- Astromec
- Torpedos (2)
- Ion Cannon

Actions:
- Target
- Focus

For the pilots:
Captain Merrick Simms:
Pilot Skill value:
Pilot Ability:
Squad Point Cost:

Ten Numb:
Pilot Skill value:
Pilot Ability:
Squad Point Cost:

Palso Tern:
Pilot Skill value:
Pilot Ability:
Squad Point Cost:

Keyan Farlander:
Pilot Skill value:
Pilot Ability:
Squad Point Cost:

Ibtisam:
Pilot Skill value:
Pilot Ability:
Squad Point Cost:

Bowman Gavin:
Pilot Skill value:
Pilot Ability:
Squad Point Cost:

Blue Squadron Pilot:
Pilot Skill value:
Pilot Ability:
Squad Point Cost:

Suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing that the B-Wing will come out in the 3rd wave along with the TIE Bomber.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
I'm guessing that the B-Wing will come out in the 3rd wave along with the TIE Bomber.

I'm hoping as well, but I have a ton of B-Wing that I *need* to use right now! (still have to play my first game... tonight!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure we'll only see 4 Pilots:

Ten Numb
Another Unique
Blue Squadron Pilot
Another Generic

# of Generics = # of Uniques, based on how they do the ship base tiles.

The B-WING is ridiculously huge (closer to a light freighter than most fighters in size), so I suspect it will have more Hull than a Y-Wing but less than a YT-1300. That puts it around 6-7 probably.

I doubt it will have an astromech upgrade option (the A-Wing doesn't) but will probably have a new icon for BOMB upgrades (the TIE Bomber will likely come out at the same time and will also have the BOMB upgrade). It may or may not have TORP and/or MISSILE upgrades.

Who knows how Bombs will function in non-mission games? In missions they'll make plenty of sense for hitting stationary targets. In tournaments and simple dog fights, I have no idea how bombs will work, if they even work at all (I suppose we may seem similar things like MINES coming out with Slave-1/Falcon, so maybe we'll get a hint).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The B-Wing is more sluggish than the X-Wing, but definately more maneuverable than a Y-Wing.

Giving it only Agility 1 doesn't feel right.

Anyway, the B-Wing will probably come with a secondary weapon in the main mix already (like the Ion Canon) but will lack Astromech support and 360 degrees firing arc that makes the Y-Wing Ion Canon the monster it is.

There'll be a higher shield rating than on any other Rebel fighter so far I'd guess but no more Hull points than a Y-Wing has. That's my take anyway.

That said I'm still looking forward to the final fighter of the Wing-Family

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kirchin
Canada
flag msg tools
a B wing with 2 hull is crazy talk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B-wing will be wave 3 for sure.

The thing is big, but not that big. From top to bottom it isn't much taller than an X-wing is long, so it will still be a 'small' ship I bet.

I'd predict 3 attack, 1 def, and 1 more hull/shield than the Y-wing. It's sturdy and powerful, but not much of a dog fighter. I'd guess movement similar to the Y-wing.
It'll likely have 2 protons, no astromech droid, and possibly a built in forward firing arc ion cannon.
I'd suspect focus, target lock, and evade for actions.

Evade simply due to the design where the cockpit stays locked and the rest of the craft rotates around it. That would make it somewhat harder to hit.

It would likely be the most expensive base rebel ship short of the Falcon.

I too believe the Tie-Bomber will be wave 3. Not too sure about the bomb thing though. The Y-Wing is traditionally a fighter/bomber and it wasn't given any special bomb capabilities. I assume the Tie-Bomber will be a cheaper Y-Wing. A cheap multi-missle carrying tie with a target lock ability.
Right now if the Imps want missles they have 1 choice, which wave 2 isn't going to help much. The Tie-bomber being a missle boat of sorts will bridge that gap a for the Imps. The Tie-bombers can carry missles, torpedoes, or bombs...since this is a dogfighting game, I'm guessing they'd go with missles or torps.
I'd guess stats like 2,2,4,0. Focus, target lock, evade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard van der Haak
Netherlands
Boerakker
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
I'm pretty sure we'll only see 4 Pilots:

Ten Numb
Another Unique
Blue Squadron Pilot
Another Generic

# of Generics = # of Uniques, based on how they do the ship base tiles.

The B-WING is ridiculously huge (closer to a light freighter than most fighters in size), so I suspect it will have more Hull than a Y-Wing but less than a YT-1300. That puts it around 6-7 probably.

I doubt it will have an astromech upgrade option (the A-Wing doesn't) but will probably have a new icon for BOMB upgrades (the TIE Bomber will likely come out at the same time and will also have the BOMB upgrade). It may or may not have TORP and/or MISSILE upgrades.

Who knows how Bombs will function in non-mission games? In missions they'll make plenty of sense for hitting stationary targets. In tournaments and simple dog fights, I have no idea how bombs will work, if they even work at all (I suppose we may seem similar things like MINES coming out with Slave-1/Falcon, so maybe we'll get a hint).

Where did you get the idea that a B-Wing is huge ? It's only 1/3 longer than an X-Wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhaak wrote:

Where did you get the idea that a B-Wing is huge ? It's only 1/3 longer than an X-Wing.

Someone posted in a different thread that the B-Wing is really long (from cockpit to edge of the "bottom" cannon being close to M. Falcon length). The B-Wings in SSB were also uncannily large, but those minis weren't done to scale of course.

But yea, looks like according to Wookiepedia it's about 33% longer than an X-Wing (looking at the longest point of both ships). So, presumably it won't be that big after all.

Still, big enough that I suspect comparable or more hit points than a Y-Wing. Possibly 4 Shield and 4 Hull. And it doubt it should have Agility > 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole point of the B-Wing was more guns than anyone else. It *should* get more attack dice than the X-Wing - which would be a beastly Attack 4.

It would probably be somewhat less of a tank than the Y-Wing, so maybe Hull 4 and Shield 3 - maybe even less. Not any harder to hit though, so probably still Agility 1.

I think two Torps, Target Lock and Evade sound right for the actions. I actually would NOT add Focus, as it was supposedly hard to fly.

Probably the same maneuver selection as a Y-Wing. No turret or R2 unit.

Bombs would be sweet - even better if you could replace them with mines in a dogfight scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyJ wrote:
The whole point of the B-Wing was more guns than anyone else. It *should* get more attack dice than the X-Wing - which would be a beastly Attack 4.

It would probably be somewhat less of a tank than the Y-Wing, so maybe Hull 4 and Shield 3 - maybe even less. Not any harder to hit though, so probably still Agility 1.

I think two Torps, Target Lock and Evade sound right for the actions. I actually would NOT add Focus, as it was supposedly hard to fly.

Probably the same maneuver selection as a Y-Wing. No turret or R2 unit.

Bombs would be sweet - even better if you could replace them with mines in a dogfight scenario.

It was meant for taking on capital ships, hence the ion cannons and torpedos...but it didn't pack a primary attack greater than an xwing. It only had a twin blaster by the cockpit and a single heavy laser cannon at the bottom of the large wing. That's 3 blasters (1 heavy) to the X-wings 4. I think a 3 attack is plenty.

The reason that it was so beefy was that it also had 3 ion cannons and carried 10 more torpedoes than the x-wing.

There was a version that had a dual cockpit that allowed a gunner to ride along also. With gunners being implimented in Wave 2, maybe this could be an option.

The thing was large and slow, so 1 agility is perfect. Hull should be probably be a 4 as it was a little weaker than the Y, but it had much better shields than the Y, so a 4 or 5 to shields would be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd like to see both B-wing and Tie-bomber to have both missiles and torps. As I recall from the X-wing games they both had the ability to carry multiple kinds of warheads.

Allso, perhaps a new kind of upgrade allowing for targeting computers or things like that. Could allow you to lock multiple ships at once... Or just make an astromech that can do that, but then it wouldn't work for the B-wing since it didn't have an astromech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knowing FFG, I would imagine Bombers would be the theme of the next boxed set. Possibly even another Y-Wing expansion with bomber variant cards and bits included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe keep it a 3 attack, but add an Ion token on every hit without the "1 damage then cancel all dice" rule from the Y-Wing Turret. That would beef up the scary firepower significantly without getting too far away from the X-Wing baseline, and stay true to the fact it had lots of Ion weaponry in addition to the lasers.

And depending on what source material you read, the Rebels could swap the load outs on their B-Wings. This one gets two chin mounted blasters, this one replaces an ion cannon with a laser, etc. So it doesn't even need Ions, and could instead have all Lasers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rule
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MF was almost 27meters... a B-Wing was 16.7 meters and an x wing was almost 13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyJ wrote:
Maybe keep it a 3 attack, but add an Ion token on every hit without the "1 damage then cancel all dice" rule from the Y-Wing Turret. That would beef up the scary firepower significantly without getting too far away from the X-Wing baseline, and stay true to the fact it had lots of Ion weaponry in addition to the lasers.

And depending on what source material you read, the Rebels could swap the load outs on their B-Wings. This one gets two chin mounted blasters, this one replaces an ion cannon with a laser, etc. So it doesn't even need Ions, and could instead have all Lasers.

What I listed was the default manufactured build. They were modifyable, but it was usually modified to something similar. The heavy laser was replaced with a heavy ion. Or the double blaster was replaced with a different type of laser weaponry. The basic setup was pretty similar though.

I'd say you'd either attack with primary or the built in Ion. Maybe if you had a gunner attached you could fire both main weapon and ion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You can't have a Blue squadron, the squad colors will turn transparent in the chromakey compositing process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zach hacz
United States
ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
I learnd the art of sudection from James Brown in a hot tub.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my what i think the b-wing should look like and please be gentle its my first post

attack 1
agility 1
hull 4
shield 5
comes with a forward firing arc ion cannon similar to the y wing card for 0 points
three missile/bomb spots

my reasoning is this
it has better shields then the y wing and while it has stronger hull ratings then the y wing where is a lot more of the ship to shoot at so a slightly weaker hull rating on the card. the agility of the b-wing is less or at best comparable to a y wing. this would make it a 0 or a 1 and no one would be no fun... ya that wasn't even close to funny... sigh... while it did sport 2 lasers one was a weaker auto fire so it only gets a value of one

one of the cards that would come with it would be to improve the laser ratting from a 1 to a 2 but this would be expansive costing around 5 or six points if not more

also because of the design of the b-wing and and its Geo stable cockpit it would have trouble making sharp turns and if made to many it ran the risk of the pod getting locked in position so if the b wing makes 2 (maybe 3 it would have to be tested or it is a special character ability) red turns in a row it loses all red turns ability but can still do a straight red

the movements starting at one is easy left green straight easy right
two red sharp left easy left straight easy right red sharp right
three red easy left straight red easy right
four red straight red koiga (or what ever a imilman is called i played a lot of wow) each red still gives you a stress token as normal

I also apologize in advance for all spelling and grammatical errors, but its late, its hot, and I have a bad headache
will write more later
tell me what you think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking:

Attack: 3
Agility: 1
Hull: 4
Shield: 3
Actions: Evade, Target Lock
Special: If you get at least one hit, also give the target an Ion token
Upgrades: Torpedos x2, Missile

Not quite as much of a tank as the Y-Wing, but the signature wing-rotating-around-the-cockpit means you can get an Evade. But the difficulty in flying the craft prevents Focus. You basically have to pick: offensive action or defensive action.

While they get the same base attack as an X-Wing, they get a nice little cookie by getting to add an Ion token without reducing damage like the Turret. The trade off is that they will struggle once combat is joined without the ability to focus. They're made to hit hard on the way in (for fighting capital ships), not dogfight.

Since they're more of a bomber, give them lots of capacity for secondary weapons. I was just thinking go with the Y-Wing movement dial for simplicity.

I like what fredderf was thinking about upgrading the Primary weapon. We'll have to see if FFG takes upgrades in that direction in the future. I think tracking movement in addition to the rules is just going to bog things down though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here is my first draft of the 4 pilots I'm proposing on testing. Note that I've "guessed" the cost, and will have to figure out if they make sense with their power or not.

The image have not been doctored, so it's really "raw", at this stage.

I'm waiting on feedback.

Ten Numb:

Merrick Simms:

Blue Squadron Pilot:

Nova Squadron Pilot:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get that they should have an ion cannon...but an ion cannon turret doesn't make sense. They'll have to come up with something else for that.

My only other comment is that they are horribly under priced. Like big time. The base cost should be around 28-29 points following the current formula. Need to add pilot value on top of that. And that seems really high for a ship that is going to have so many flaws. Sure it hits like an X, but is going to die easier than a Y. Lots of missles, but it's likely going to die with those in the tubes, and that will only further jack up the price. The ion upgrade also will jack up the cost. A pilot skill of 5 and fully decked out would be a 50 point ship. No way in heck I'd field that monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the points above: it'll be a tricky ship to price.

As for the ships you've suggested, they have some issues in wording/timing.

Simms: When/How do other ships get the Evade token? Is it an Action for Simms? Is it whenever his ship is within Range 1? If he flies past an ally at Range 1 but then he flies further away, do they get a token? To be even remotely balanced, would need to be something like: Action: Give one friendly ship at Range 1 an Evade token. Even then, it'd probably be too good if paired with Biggs. Giving potentially all ships in your squad a free Evade token just for being within Range 1 of them at sometime in the movement phase is far too powerful--like ridiculously more powerful than any ability we've seen. Just think of how restrictive Garven's passing along of a Focus token is in in comparison. And that's nowhere near as good as an Evade token for Rebels.

Ten: Ability would have to read something like "When a Friendly ship within Range 1 attacks with Missiles or Torpedoes, it may convert all EYE to HIT." This would be the simplest and clearest way to word what you intend, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffry Welfare
Australia
Guildford
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cut_ wrote:
That said I'm still looking forward to the final fighter of the Wing-Family

The V-Wing?

Whatever the B-Wing could be described as, I think fighter might be a bit of a stretch. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Dave - there are no rotating turrets on the B-Wing, so the "upgrade" can't be the existing turret. But fixed Ion Cannons were an integral part of the B-Wing armament, so that's why I was thinking just give them special text about handing out an Ion token if there is at least one hit.

I like the ships and ideas for actions. Nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyJ wrote:
I agree with Dave - there are no rotating turrets on the B-Wing, so the "upgrade" can't be the existing turret. But fixed Ion Cannons were an integral part of the B-Wing armament, so that's why I was thinking just give them special text about handing out an Ion token if there is at least one hit.

I like the ships and ideas for actions. Nice work!

This could be interesting. Allow the B-wing to do a normal attack, and do damage normally, but also provide the ion effect to the target if hit. This might make the ship worth it's price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.