Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Play-By-Forum #1 has just finished, and if there's one bit of strategy I've learned from this game it's this: Deimos is the most valuable real estate in the solar system.

If you can hit on a claim on Deimos and turn it into a factory, you've got the perfect refueling stop. It's only two burns and two turns to Deimos, and it's a size one site so it's easy to land on or take off from. Heck, if you need the WT it's relatively easy to run missions back and forth from Deimos to LEO for extra income.

I'm of the opinion that the first target for anyone operating either the Flywheel Tractor or the Z-Pinch Fusion Torch should be Deimos. Yeah, you've only got a 11/36 chance of a hit, but if you do, you've got a huge leg up. Plus, it's a D site. Pick your best card for ET Production on a hit.

Plus, if you're mounting a quick mission to Deimos that fails, you can easily parachute down to Arisa Mons and claim all of Mars.

This leads to an interesting thought: If you're not running a buggy robonaut, do you take a swing at Deimos to bust it and thus deny it to another player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pilnick
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am by no means an experienced player, but in my plays, someone always uses Deimos as a refuel stop and usually tries for the claim at the cost of one operation. If you get lucky and hit, it's a gamechanger. If you fail, at least you ensure no one else gets it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
STRAP IN » BURN ON » BLACK OUT
badge
HIT 'EM FROM ORBIT
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the one game where I tagged Deimos super-early and built the Zubrin there was a total blow-out. That was an amazing game, though I'm the only one who thinks so...

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually aim for deimos for a lucky shot or refuel if it fails. Anyways, I always house-rule Deimos as "C" site instead of "D" to devaluate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
This leads to an interesting thought: If you're not running a buggy robonaut, do you take a swing at Deimos to bust it and thus deny it to another player?
It's such a great jumping-off point for the rest of the map that it seems like it's worth prospecting no matter what type of robonaut you're carrying.

If you're successful you can drop a factory and be in a great position for running missions the rest of the game, not to mention it's close enough to make a few freighter runs back to LEO for big piles of WT.

If it's a bust you've still got a decent place to fuel up, and perhaps more importantly you'll be assured that no one else can drop a factory there and block you out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
HiveGod wrote:
Yeah, the one game where I tagged Deimos super-early and built the Zubrin there was a total blow-out. That was an amazing game, though I'm the only one who thinks so...

whistle

But wouldn't that make the moon the most powerful piece of real estate? It's an auto success, whereas Deimos only has a 1 in 6 chance of hitting. There are obviously other challenges to claiming and building a factory on Luna that offset the auto-success of the claim, but if I had the Zubrin in hand I'd argue that it's much easier to get a rocket together that will ensure a success there rather than a plan that involves the gamble of Deimos.

The way I'd treat it is, if I am heading to Mars and have the extra power to make a stop off on Demos, the extra stop is totally worth the 1 in 6 chance, but I can't see building an entire plan off of the 1 in 6 chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're building the Zubrin, then yeah. But if you've got just about any other thruster combo then the Moon's got an awfully deep gravity well that you have to claw your way out of. That's the biggest problem with Luna: The depth of the gravity well. All that lander fuel gets expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
STRAP IN » BURN ON » BLACK OUT
badge
HIT 'EM FROM ORBIT
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, we were playing with three, so Luna & Mars were scrubbed. Also, it was one of those one-two things that just kind of fell together—I was going to refuel on Deimos anyway, so why not prospect on the way out? Then BOOM it hits (I threw double ones for both Deimos and Phobos) and the next turn the Mirror Steamer fell into my lap. So, no plan, just dumb luck.*

*A debt the game has been punishing me for ever since...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
That's the biggest problem with Luna: The depth of the gravity well. All that lander fuel gets expensive.

Perhaps worth repeating the science note on the bottom of the first page. At 5.6 km/sec, the delta-v LEO to Deimos is less than the 5.7 km/sec to get to the surface of Luna. And of course, the thrust requirements to the surface of Deimos are far less. I treasure the "Deimos Filling Station" T-shirt that Phirax gave me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.