Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are archipelago and clash of cultures similar/different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgard Massot
Spain
Borrassà
Girona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhm I have both of them on my Essen list and I find them to be quite different. I haven't played any of them but I've read the rulebooks.

Clash of cultures has a military aspect and a heavier technology tree. It's a longer game and I think the game will be more about expanding and creating your combo with technologies to beat your opponents including fighting over cities and the barbarians.

On the other side, I haven't seen any direct conflict in Archipelago maybe some cards that let you destroy opponent's ships but the focus in the game is more economic. You try to discover regions to get resources, and use them both to expand and to fulfill the demands of the local market and external market. You should keep in mind that the game is semi cooperative, so all the players have to be careful not to cause a revolution (unless they have that victory condition).

So the common point for me is that we have exploration and we develop new settlements but other than that I feel the play style will be very different, Clash of cultures being more about civilisation and war while Archipelago being more about planning and economics.

I will pick both of them probably if the price of Archipelago in Essen is 50€ or less. Currently is at 60€ with free shipping.

See ya.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Bassiaux
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the publisher I recently contacted, Archipelago should be on sale at Essen for 55 €.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Roijen
Netherlands
Sittard
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wraith75 wrote:
According to the publisher I recently contacted, Archipelago should be on sale at Essen for 55 €.

I really think that is too expensive this is off my want list now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgard Massot
Spain
Borrassà
Girona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Domo wrote:

I really think that is too expensive this is off my want list now!

To be honest, if the difference with the Essen price and the free shipping to almost all Europe countries it's only 5€ either they have a really cheap shipping company or they are selling at a loss over the net and they want to compensate with a higher price at the fair.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the game design and all the effort that the designer and the publisher did and the fun that it can provide sure will be worth the price, but component wise I find it a bit overpriced. Comparing it with clash of cultures that costing 5 euros more comes with over 250 detailed minis.

Probably someone will tell me that:
a)It's a small company.
b)The print run is small so the price is higher

And I can understand that but that does not make the game feel less overpriced.

Anyway let's wait for the final price at the fair and then we'll talk about it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about (c) buy the game, not the components? I'm sure you can find a couple of bags of plastic figures to toss into the box.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Wegner
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If nobody would buy the game for 55 or 60 EUR, the price would drop within short time.

Unfortunately, enough geeks have enough money to spend to pay such high prices. This, combined with some hype here on BGG, sells the game like sliced bread. The publisher would be brain dead, if he doesn't try to maximize his profit.

And yes, I do respect the intellectual work that has gone into this game and I am willing to pay for it.

But sometimes, enough is enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
weserkiesel wrote:
If nobody would buy the game for 55 or 60 EUR, the price would drop within short time.

Unfortunately, enough geeks have enough money to spend to pay such high prices. This, combined with some hype here on BGG, sells the game like sliced bread. The publisher would be brain dead, if he doesn't try to maximize his profit.

And yes, I do respect the intellectual work that has gone into this game and I am willing to pay for it.

Hi. Without having played this game, I think the second poster nails it.

But I would like to comment on the price comments (since I have seen it repeated here and there a few times). I dont know if it is aimed only at Archipelago or also Clash. But I can tell you that Clash is definately not ovepriced. By that I mean that I know that the game is amongst the most expenssive to produce that Zman/Filosofia has done, and that the profit margin is far lower than what they normally are comfortable with - almost to the point where its not worth it to produce. Even if its a massive success it will still generate less money for the company than a cheaper moderately successful game. So while people may find that €60 is a lot of money, it can never in any meaningful way be called overpriced.

Just wanted to clear that up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Wiels
Belgium
Chatelet
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weserkiesel wrote:

Considering the amount of material you get in the box, I tend to think Archipelago is not overpriced.

Compare to, say, Catan, which is a game that is printed in many more copies, or even to 7 Wonders, or to Race for the Galaxy... Sorry, but I don't feel I'm robbed with Archipelago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.