Subject: should I roll? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After one rolls, uses some dice, keeps some others, does he need to roll used+remaining dice, before using some of the kept?

For example, I'm playing a solo game. I roll my 7 dice. I use 2 adventure results to reveal a chamber. I also like 2 key results and 2 more adventure results I made, so I put these aside.

I'm left with one die. Do I use some of my kept dice for my next action, or do need to first roll my remaining+used, even though I have what I need?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Amundsen Østby
Norway
Langhus
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You only NEED to reroll dice when you acctually use them. And you MAY of course also reroll your unused dice as often as you like (unless it is black).

It's a good habit to always pick up used dice as you perform each action, or else it can be difficult to remember which ones were used and which ones are saved for later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anaesthetic wrote:
You only NEED to reroll dice when you acctually use them. And you MAY of course also reroll your unused dice as often as you like (unless it is black).

Kristian, I'm sorry, I still don't get it. In my above example would I reroll my 2 used dice immediately or make an extra action (since I already have the needed dice) and then reroll everything?

It kinda makes a difference, since in a solo game, one can perform up to 3 actions without rolling. I'm thinking, if I have what I need, I don't want to be rolling for nothing and risking making black mask results.

Vefy fun game btw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Trimby
England
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put the two green dice you've just used to reveal the chamber to one side. Now do whatever you like with the others; take actions (putting them aside as you do so), or reroll some or any of them (except black masks of course). You can reroll that one leftover die as many times as you like, without using the others. Eg you need five keys, you've rolled four, they can sit there unused while you keep rolling the fifth die to get a key.

Does that help?

Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx for the feedback Simon. I'm still a bit in the dark.

Let me rephrase, see if I can make that clearer: after I take an action, am I allowed to immediately take a second action using dice I just rolled (besides the ones I already used), without first re-rolling used + remaining (if any) dice?

As I said, in a solo game this method allows one to make up to 3 actions without rolling and thus without risking black mask results, provided he had a good roll the first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Grant
Scotland
Windsor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
You can use those dice before rolling again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Amundsen Østby
Norway
Langhus
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do several actions before rerolling if you have the needed symbols. Just make sure that you do not use one die for more than one action!

What I generally advice players to do, is picking up dice as you take actions. For instance you could pick up 2 green dice with one hand, and move your pawn with the other hand, then pick up 2 blue dice to discover a treasure, and then finally reroll all four dice that you picked up. This helps to avoid using one die for several actions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx everyone, everything's crystal clear now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
So just for a tiny bit more clarity, since the english rules specifically state:

Quote:
After a player has performed one action, he must re-roll all dice used for this action

That seems at odds with the feedback given here. According to the rules, immediately after I do any of the five actions (move, discover, activate, escape, fate), I *must* reroll the dice I just used. That seems completely contrary to "you can do several actions before re-rolling"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Geens
Belgium
Langdorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
So just for a tiny bit more clarity, since the english rules specifically state:

Quote:
After a player has performed one action, he must re-roll all dice used for this action

That seems at odds with the feedback given here. According to the rules, immediately after I do any of the five actions (move, discover, activate, escape, fate), I *must* reroll the dice I just used. That seems completely contrary to "you can do several actions before re-rolling"...

Actually it's kindof funny since all the different language rules (English/German/French...) indeed state what you just quoted but the Dutch rules say that you re-roll all the used dice after you've done ALL your actions. whistle
By the way I don't believe that it makes any kind of difference: you're rerolling 'used dice'. The only distinction is whether you roll them as soon as you've used them (you decide to 'keep' all unused ones) or you re-roll them after you've 'used' as much of them as you can. The 'end result' is the same, you'll just be rolling a little more often with less dice but with the same probabilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerg wrote:
By the way I don't believe that it makes any kind of difference: you're rerolling 'used dice'. The only distinction is whether you roll them as soon as you've used them (you decide to 'keep' all unused ones) or you re-roll them after you've 'used' as much of them as you can. The 'end result' is the same, you'll just be rolling a little more often with less dice but with the same probabilities.

Well, as I pointed out before, it makes quite a difference. If you've already rolled the results for 2 actions, you want to avoid rolling for nothing, since you risk getting black mask results.

Richard, the rules section you mention is what caught my eye and made me post the question in the first place. Since Kristian cleared that up, I guess it's a matter of poor translation(?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Geens
Belgium
Langdorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
NasosP wrote:
you want to avoid rolling for nothing, since you risk getting black mask results.

But that's exactly were the confusion comes from since there is no 'rolling for nothing': those dice were used so whether you roll then immediately or you wait until you've used up more dice doesn't make any difference. I just noticed that in the original post it said
NasosP wrote:
After one rolls, uses some dice, keeps some others, does he need to roll used+remaining dice, before using some of the kept?
. That is of course something completely different: reroling all dice once you've used a few to do a single action would indeed be a big change.
Anyway... happy that it's clear for everyone and quite funny that the Dutch translation is the correct one (it seldom is).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Grant
Scotland
Windsor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anaesthetic wrote:

What I generally advice players to do, is picking up dice as you take actions. For instance you could pick up 2 green dice with one hand, and move your pawn with the other hand, then pick up 2 blue dice to discover a treasure, and then finally reroll all four dice that you picked up. This helps to avoid using one die for several actions

Unless you have the hand on head curse!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Geens
Belgium
Langdorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Frasergrant wrote:
Anaesthetic wrote:

Unless you have the hand on head curse!
It's really A Good Thing that you can't have the same curse twice... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread really helped me clear things up in my head regarding the reroll rules. I had a lot of the same questions that Thanasis had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.