Subject: I need a fantasy RPG type map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Zumwalt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey all,

I am looking for a map that I can print or purchase, or perhaps a photo of a good map from a game that I can buy. I want to use this map in a prototype fantasy RPG style board game.

Ideally, this map would have one large city marked and several types of terrain including fields, hills, mountains, forest, lakes or rivers, ruins, a mage tower, perhaps an island somewhere. If there were deviding territory lines, like counties, that would be great too.

This is just to make a first prototype I would not copy anything from the map into my game.

If you know of a map that might be appropriate can you post a picture or link me to a picture please? Thanks for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

#1, try Google images.

#2, search around on deviantart.com

#3, there are piles of maps and floor plans at the wotc D&D page.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
you could always quickly make one yourself using tilesets from videogames like dragonquest or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a free program called Hexmapper, which is here.

However that's designed for maps which are divided into 'hexes' (hexagons).

If you want a map like a Risk board, where the 'spaces' are irregular and might represent counties or even countries, maybe you could use a map from fantasy fiction, for example Middle Earth or Earthsea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian White
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPG blog The Labyrinth (http://rpglabyrinth.blogspot.com/search/label/Free%20Maps) comes out with free blank maps (mostly) every Monday that are all hi-res and free for download. With a quick bit of photo editing on any map that has the kinds of geography you want, you could easily add in political divisions, landmarks, or whatever else you'd like. The blog has an impressive back catalog of maps, so you can likely find something you like there. If not, you might try the random map generator Dave's Mapper (http://davesmapper.com/), in which you can set certain basic parameters for map size, tile sets (e.g. dungeon, caverns, etc.), whether the map is bounded, and so on. You can also just waste a lot of time making maps and imagining the kinds of encounters with which you'd fill them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a prototype . . . use a marker?

Or pay me and I'll use some markers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use a real map. Perhaps pick somewhere obscure and/or turn it sideways or upside down, or swap land and sea so that islands become lakes and vice versa.

Apparently the earliest D&D campaigns used world maps of this type.

I also have a random hexmap generator: www.apolitical.info/webgame/map
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you look at http://rpgmapshare.com/ ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My avatar is a fantasy RPG map. But probably too smallscale for your purpose as you only want one large city...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zumwalt
United States
California
flag msg tools
I will look into those resources thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, you might find that a modular map (ie several small sections that can fit together in lots of different ways) makes for a more varied and interesting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about, get a risk board and draw on it or use the board tiles for settlers of catan. It is a first prototype, so don't spend too much money or time on it until you know the rest of your game works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zumwalt
United States
California
flag msg tools
I got it figured out. I bought the Small World Realms expansion and pieced together something that will work for starters. I also populated it with monsters from Paizo's Beastiary Box. This is swift progress so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.