Ancient Mathom
Northern Tracker

First round

Quest Stage 1A:
Revealed: Black Uruks

Quest Stage 1B:
Played: Nothing
Quest: Nobody
Comment: I find this quest to be all about patience and careful advancement. The two Sleeping Sentry copies discourage any questing with Heroes. I did not want to play Light of Valinor this turn as it is too important to lose to random Orc Raiders (3 copies in the deck) and wanted to wait to have multiple attachments on my heroes to give me an option to discard one of the less important ones. I wasn’t worried about my Threat due to Aragorn’s special ability.

Revealed: Sleeping Sentry: Exhaust all my characters
Quest resolution: 0 Will vs. 2 Threat, so Threat to 31.

Engagement: none (Black Uruks 32 vs. 31 Threat)
Comment: A good first round. One Sleeping Sentry was out without any harm, and I was just under the Uruks engagement value.

Threat: 32

Second round

Card drawn: Trollshaw Scout
Played: Trollshaw Sout, Light of Valinor (on Glorfindel), Miruvor (Glorfindel), Asfaloth (Glorfindel)
Comment about Miruvor on Glorfindel: Aragorn is the better defender and could quest with Miruvor attached, but I had only Spirit Cards on my hand.

Quest: Glorfindel
Revealed: Goblin Spearman
Quest Resolution: Will 3 vs. Threat 4, so Threat to 33.
Engagement: Both enemies engage
Black Uruks attack. Defender: Beorn. Shadow Card: Goblin Gate (no effect), 2 damage on Beorn.
Goblin Spearman attack. Defender: Beorn. Shadow Card: Goblin Spearman (added to Staging Area), 1 damage on Beorn (3 total)
Beorn attacks Black Uruks: 5 attack vs. 3 defense and 2 hit points: discarded
Aragorn and Glorfindel attack Goblin Spearman: 6 attack vs. 2/2: discarded

Threat: 34
Comment: Another good round. Beorn’s purpose in this deck is to defend against as many attacks as possible until I have some means to cancel shadow effects. There is only one more Sleeping Sentry in play, so the odds of getting any combination of Hasty Stroke, a Burning Brand or Landroval (to have Beorn around for longer) look good.

Third round

Card drawn: Vassal of the Windlord
Played: Vassal of the Windlord, Miruvor (Glorfindel)
Comment: I have now two less valuable attachments to discard if Orc Raiders are drawn (compared to Asfaloth and Light of Valinor).

Revealed: Chieftain of the Pit
Resolution: Will 3 vs. Threat 4, so Threat to 35.
Engagement: both enemies engage.
Goblin Spearman attack. Defender: Beorn. Shadow Card: Mountain Warg (+1 attack), 2 damage on Beorn (5 total).
Chieftain of the Pit attacks. Defender: Vassal of the Windlord. Shadow Card: Wild Bear (no effect), 8 damage on Vassal of the Windlord, discarded
Comment: Since Beorn does not exhaust to defend, I did not fear Sleeping Sentry. A 1 cost ally is essentially the same as Feint (although I don’t like to see eagles get hurt or killed, of course) ☺
Beorn attacks Goblin Spearman: 5 attack vs. 2/2, discarded.
Aragorn and Glorfindel attack Chieftain of the Pit: 6 attack vs. 2/4, discarded.

Threat: 36.

Fourth round

Card drawn: Eagles of the Misty Mountains
Resolution: 3 Will vs. Threat 2, so 1 progress token on 1B (1/20)
Engagement: Goblin Spearman engages.
Goblin Spearman attacks. Defender: Beorn. Shadow Card: Orc Raiders (no effect), 1 damage on Beorn (6 total).
Beorn attacks Goblin Spearman: 5 attack vs. 2/2, discarded.

Threat: 37

Comment: Two rather uneventful rounds, but I was beginning to worry about Beorn. I was glad to see one Orc Raider card leave play but hoped for a Test of Will to deal with the Orc Ambush card I had not yet seen. It would be impossible to overcome given the amount of orcs in the discard pile.

Fifth round

Card drawn: Radagast
Played: Radagast (using 3 resources from Beorn and 2 from Aragorn)
Comment: I wanted to keep the 2 resources on Glorfindel to play the Northern Tracker soon. I was tempted to discard the two Miruvors to give him 2 resources and play the ally now but was still more concerned about losing Asfaloth (I hadn’t seen many locations so far) or Light of Valinor.

Quest: Glorfindel, Radagast
Revealed: Pathless Country
Resolution: Will 5 vs. Threat 3, so 2 progross on 1B (3/20)
Travel to Pathless Country
Action: Exhaust Asfaloth to place 1 progress on Pathless Country
Threat: 38

Sixth round

Card drawn: A Burning Brand
Played: Ancient Mathom (on Pathless Country)
Quest: Radagast, Glorfindel
Revealed: Goblin Taskmaster (ambushed), engages. 2 damage on Glorfindel
Comment: I chose Glorfindel since I rarely use him as defender and intend to have Aragorn as my main defender from next round (Burning Brand) onwards.
Action: Exhaust Asfaloth to place 1 progress on Pathless Country
Resolution: Will 5 vs. Threat 0, so 3 progress on Pathless Country (explored) and 1 on 1B (4/20)
Cards drawn (Ancient Mathom): A Test of Will, Rivendell Blade, Hail of Stones
Comment: Very happy with these cards. Something against the Goblin Archer, another cheap and still useful attachment and finally something against a Treachery.

Goblin Taskmaster attacks. Defender: Trollshaw Scout. Shadow Card: Goblin Taskmaster (no effect), 1 damage on Trollshaw Scout
Beorn and Aragorn attack Goblin Taskmaster: 8 attack vs. 2/4, discarded

Threat: 39

Seventh round

Card drawn: Watcher of the Bruinen
Played: Eagles of the Misty Montains (2 Beorn, 2 Radagast), A Burning Brand (Aragorn)
Comment: It was looking good. Shadow Card defense in play, Treachery defense up and some useful allies out. I still didn’t quest with Arwen. There are too many Treachery cards that can kill her, and my threat was still under control.

Quest: Radagast, Glorfindel, Eagles of the Misty Mountains
Comment: Again? This was number 4. I was thinking of all the orcs in the discard pile. A Test of Will would be held back against Orc Ambush at all cost!
Resolution: Will 7 vs. Threat 2, so 5 progress on 1B (9/20).
Engagement: Goblin Spearman engages.
Goblin Spearman attacks. Defender: Aragorn. Shadow Card: Turbulent Waters (no effect), no damage on Aragorn
Beorn attacks Goblin Spearman: 5 attack vs. 2/2, discarded
Comment: Beorn was starting to feel like this guy: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/769807/the-most-powerful-her...
Threat: 40

Eight round

Comment: There are not cards with “Doomed” in this quest, and with A Test of Will on hand, I decided to let the threat level climb a bit higher before calling upon Aragorn’s special ability.

Card drawn: Light of Valinor
Played: Northern Tracker
Action: Discard Miruvor, add one Will and one Resource to Glorfindel
Comment: With another Light of Valinor on hand, I would choose this and Miruvor to discard if I had to; still keeping the more crucial A Burning Brand and Asfaloth in play. I discarded Miruvor to have one resource on Glorfindel in case I had to play A Test of Will.

Quest: Glorfindel, Radagast, Eagles of the Misty Mountain, Northern Tracker
Revealed: Wild Bear (engages and immediately attacks)
Wild Bear attacks. Defender: Beorn. Shadow Card: Followed by Night (Wild Bear returned to Staging Area), 1 damage on Beorn (7 total)
Comment: I did not want to defend with Aragorn since I would receive a second attack. Having the first on Aragorn would exhaust him and make him vulnerable to the Sleeping Sentry shadow card.
Resolution: Will 9 vs. Threat 0, so 8 progress on 1B( 17/20).
Engagement: Wild Bear engages.
Wild Bear attacks. Defender: Aragorn. Shadow Card: Crebain (canceled with Burning Brand), no damage on Aragorn
Beorn and Glorfindel attack Wild Bear: 8 attack vs. 3/5, discarded

Threat: 41

Ninth round

Card drawn: Quick Strike
Played: Rivendell Blade (paid from Beorn, played on Glorfindel)
Quest: Glorfindel, Radagast, Eagles of the Misty Mountains
Comment: Held back Northern Tracker since I couldn’t remember any card with a threat high enough to stop me from making 3 progress.
Revealed: Followed by Night. Chose the second option (no effect)
Resolution: Will 8 vs. Threat 0, so 8 progress on 1B (20/20)

Stage 2B: Goblin Gate from discard pile to active location.

Action: Exhaust Asfaloth: 2 progress on Goblin Gate
Threat: 42.

Tenth round

Card drawn: Northern Tracker
Action: Exhaust Asfaloth: 2 progress on Goblin Gate (4 total, explored)
Quest: Glorfindel, Radagast, Eagles of the Misty Mountains, Northern Tracker
Revealed: Orc Ambush (canceled with A Test of Will)
Comment: This would have brought 9 (nine!) orcs into the Staging Area.
Surge: Goblin Taskmaster (ambushed), engaged
Resolution: Will 8 vs. Threat 0, 8 progress on 2B (7/7)

Stage 3B: Revealed: Warg Lair (added Mountain Warg to Staging Area)
Comment: I chose a Mountain Warg from the Encounter Deck rather than the Discard Pile since I am not very fond of them. However, this slightly increased the chance of the second Sleeping Sentry or Orc Ambush to occur.
Travel: Warg Lair
Engagement: Mountain Warg engages.
Goblin Taskmaster attacks. Defender: Beorn. Shadow Card: Ruined Road (Goblin Taskmaster into Staging Area), 1 damage on Beorn (8 total)
Mountain Warg attacks. Defender: Aragorn. Shadow Card: Sleeping Sentry (canceled with A Burning Brand).
Comment: This could not have gone much better. The order of attacks was crucial (as in round 8) not to expose Aragorn to Sleeping Sentry. However, had that card been drawn during the first attack, I would have lost Radagast, the Northern Tracker and Eagles of the Misty Mountain (which would have been bad but not game-ending).
Beorn and Glorfindel attack Mountain Wargs: 8 attack vs. 0/4, discarded.

Threat: 43

Eleventh round

Action: Reset Threat to 29 (Aragorn)
Card drawn: Winged Guardian
Played: Winged Guardian (2 Radagast)
Comment: The only card that could stop me was Orc Ambush (I thought), and I didn’t want to commit too many characters since I had not way to cancel that card and needed defenders. I used Aragorn’s special ability for that same reason: many orcs would increase my threat close to 50, and having it limited might save me from at least some attacks (e.g. Black Uruks at 32 engagement).

Revealed: Orc Raiders(ambush, engage, discarded attachments: Miruvor, Light of Valinor
Resolution: Will 7 vs. Threat 2, so 3 progress on Warg Lair (explored) and 2 progress on 3B (2/13). Card drawn (Warg Lair): The Galadhrim’s Greeting
Engagement: Goblin Taskmaster engages (2 damage on Trollshaw Scout (discarded).
Comment: I chose the Scout since he was on his last hit point and Radagast had enough resources to keep the Winged Guardian around, while I had no cards to spare to make use of the Scout’s ability.
Orc Raiders attack. Defender: Northern Tracker. Shadow Card: Warg Lair (no effect, 1 damage on Northern Tracker)
Goblin Taskmaster attacks. Defender: Aragorn. Shadow Card: Black Uruks (cancelled with Burning Brand), no damage
Comment: Although I would miss Aragorn as attacker, I preferred him over the Winged Guardian since I was more concerned about Shadow Effects than combat damage.
Beorn attacks Orc Raiders: 5 attack vs. 1/3, discarded.
Glorfindel attacks Goblin Taskmaster: 3 attack vs. 0/4, 3 damage on Taskmaster.
Threat: 30

Twelfth round

Card drawn: Quick Strike
Played: The Galadhrim’s Greeting (Threat 24), Light of Valinor (Glorfindel), Watcher of the Bruinen (2 Beorn)
Comment: I wanted to play it safe (1 Orc Ambush still in the Encounter Deck) and wasn’t in a hurry with my low threat. Although I would have liked to improve my best score in this scenario, I will rarely take a gamble that would result in instant loss.
Revealed: Knees of the Mountain
Resolution: Will 7 vs. Threat 3, so 4 progress on 3B (7/13)
Comment: I did not travel since I could use Asfaloth and the Northern Tracker (next round) to explore the location before enemies would benefit from it.
Action: Exhaust Asfaloth, 2 progress on Knees of the Mountain
Goblin Taskmaster attacks. Defender: Aragorn. Shadow Card: Undisturbed Bones (cancelled with Burning Brand)
Beorn attacks Goblin Taskmaster: 5 attack vs. 2/1, discarded
Comment: I had two Quick Strikes on hand, but the Taskmaster is harmless given Aragorn’s defense and attachment.
Threat: 31

Thirteenth round

Card drawn: A Test of Will
Comment: Beorn roared and Arwen let out a sigh of relief.
Quest: Glorfindel, Aragorn, Arwen, Northern Tracker, Radagast, Eagles of the Misty Mountains
Comment: With A Test of Will and needing only 6 progress with nothing in the Staging Area, this was no gamble.
Northern Tracker Response: 1 progress on Knees of the Mountain, explored.
Revealed: Followed by Night (second option, no effect)
Resolution: Will 12 vs. Threat 0, 12 progress on 3B (13/13)
Victory!

Comment: I chose to write a detailed report since my last game against this scenario was extremely hectic, being ambushed by orcs, having Beorn defend four attacks in one round and brought back by Landroval, losing attachments and so on. In the end, I lost due to a second point of damage on Arwen in Stage 3B. Well, this game went extremely smooth, but I hope it was still an interesting read.

Final score: 12 rounds, no heroes lost, 10 wounds, no victory points, threat 31 = 161.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report

Quote:
Comment: I chose the Scout since he was on his last hit point and Radagast had enough resources to keep the Winged Guardian around, while I had no cards to spare to make use of the Scout’s ability.

I don't think Radagast can pay to satisfy Winged Guardian's Force effect, can he? Is that what you meant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
Great report

Quote:

I don't think Radagast can pay to satisfy Winged Guardian's Force effect, can he? Is that what you meant?

That's what I meant, and indeed, my thoughts were mislead as he can only pay to "heal creatures" or to "play creatures from hand". Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.