Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Campbell
United States
johnson city
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my sets in today and gonna play a game Sat, I read the rules and I have a couple questions.

Does deploying use the stack? Does the triggered dmg from terrain use the stack? I ask this because of the example in the rulebook.

What exactly uses the stack?

Can you avoid dmg that you couldnt otherwise prevent?

Can you prevent some dmg and cower the rest?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RapidDash wrote:
Can you avoid dmg that you couldnt otherwise prevent?

I think you mean by cowering? No. Cowering prevents damage, so any effect (like Piercing Strike) that stops damage prevention also prevents it when cowering (I guess you could still cower and lose morale but still take the damage on your creature, if you really wanted to for some obscure reason).

RapidDash wrote:

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Campbell
United States
johnson city
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I havent got to play yet but these questions are ones that I dont think can be figured out as we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
RapidDash wrote:

Yes.

I don't think so. I distinctly remember this was a mistake we made in our first game. You have to cower all or nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I don't know whether deploying itself uses the stack, but I can't think of any reason why it would matter. Any deployment that you might want to respond to probably has another effect triggering on the deployment. Effects that are triggered by other events are actions (rulebook p. 8) and thus use the stack, so you can definitely respond to whatever might be going on as a result of the deployment.

As for triggered damage from terrain, yes, I believe it uses the stack, so you can respond and prevent it. I'm not sure if the example you're considering is deploying a creature into hazardous terrain. If it is, note that the damage from entering a square of hazardous terrain only happens during activations. The deploy phase of the turn is not any creature's activation, so the damage won't trigger. However, the end-of-turn damage still applies.

Hope this helps! I might be able to be more clear if you were more specific about the kinds of situations you are wondering about. But I'd say don't worry too much about this stuff until you actually get to play and see what questions come up in practice.

EDIT: Oh, and now that there's a post contradicting DarkAngel's answer about cowering, I'll add that yes, you can prevent some damage and cower the rest. When you decide to cower, you lose morale for the damage coming at your creature at that point: you can't split between cowered damage and damage that actually gets to the creature. But you can prevent some of the damage before you choose to cower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfiniteNutshell wrote:
EDIT: Oh, and now that there's a post contradicting DarkAngel's answer about cowering, I'll add that yes, you can prevent some damage and cower the rest. When you decide to cower, you lose morale for the damage coming at your creature at that point: you can't split between cowered damage and damage that actually gets to the creature. But you can prevent some of the damage before you choose to cower.

Ah, I read it wrongly - yes, you can prevent some damage before deciding to take or cower all the remaining damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Campbell
United States
johnson city
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! My "need to make sure I remember every rule before playing" tendencies are awful. I seem to overthink things alot, lol. I appreciate the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.