Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew McGrath
United States
OLYMPIA
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friend and I were playing a game. He cast chain lightning with his lightning ring equipped; rolling 6 attack dice. I had aegis 1 decreasing his dice by 1 to 5. It hit doing damage so he continued the chain. On the next attack, he reasoned his original 6 dice attack would decrease to 5; I reasoned his actual 5 dice attack would decrease to 4. Who had the correct ruling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just my opinion, but I would say 5. His original attack did indeed have 6 dice, but the unfortunate targeting of an Aegis creature. I think of it this way, if the Aegis creature was the second target hit, the third would still be 4, even though the Aegis creature was also 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6 goes to 5 you still have 6 dice you just roll less of them from aegis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville gsghs
Sweden
Stockholm
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I kinda agree with you but still... The aegis would weaken the spell and since the chain lightning travells through only the rest should travell with it. Kinda weird that the electricity gets stronger after it jumped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geremy
United States
SoCal
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, I think you are correct "... Each successeve attack rolls 1 fewer attack dice, and..."

Chain lightning attacks:
Target 1 (5 dice), Target 2 (4 dice), Target 3 (3 dice), Target 4 (2 dice), Target 5 (1 die).

Chain lightning attacks with ring:
Target 1 (6 dice), Target 2 (5 dice), Target 3 (4 dice), Target 4 (3 dice), Target 5 (2 dice), Target 6 (1 die).

Chain lightning attacks with ring vs. Aegis 1 (B):
Target 1 with Aegeis 1 (6-1= 5 dice), Target 2 (4 dice), Target 3 (3 dice), Target 4 (2 dice), Target 5 (1 dice).

Chain lightning attacks with ring vs. Aegis 1 (A):
Target 1 (6 dice), Target 2 with Aegis 1(5-1= 4 dice), Target 3 (3 dice), Target 4 (2 dice), Target 5 (1 dice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K K
msg tools
I think you are all wrong.

Chain Lightning with Lightning Ring does 6,4,3,2 Dice of Damage

Check official Forum. Range +1 applies only to the first of many muliattacks from the same object.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McGrath
United States
OLYMPIA
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Konzik wrote:
I think you are all wrong.

Chain Lightning with Lightning Ring does 6,4,3,2 Dice of Damage

Check official Forum. Range +1 applies only to the first of many muliattacks from the same object.

Is this specific example provided in those forums? Card text supersedes rule book.

My interpretation of the rule comes from the card. Each successive attack rolls one fewer dice. For the people who say aegis only affects the first attack, it doesn't matter. 6-1(aegis)=5 dice rolled. 5-1(chain lightning roll 1 fewer dice)=4. The player needs to choose his targets carefully and deliberately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Pope
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow! Great question guys!

For those who did not know, there is a typo in the rulebook Codex for the Ranged +X trait, which we are posting online.

Ranged +X should say: This creature gains + X attack dice when it makes a ranged attack. Has no effect on zone attacks. Does not grant a ranged attack if this creature does not have one. If the attack makes multiple attacks against the same or different objects, it gains this bonus only for the first attack it makes.

This is how all similar traits work, including Bloodthirsty +X, Mana Drain +X, Mana Transfer +X, Melee +X, etc.

So, the actual attack is 5 dice, then 4 dice, then 3 dice, etc. The card text which says each attack rolls 1 less die is not referring to any outside bonuses or subtractions. It is only referring to the original unaltered attack dice. In other words, if you gain a die for the first attack, it is a bonus only for that first attack, and will not add to all the other dice. If you lose a die for Aegis, you lose it only for that one attack roll, and not successive ones. The bonuses or subtractions to the dice are counted independently, and after determining, the base # of attack dice for Chain Lightning.

So, in the example given, assuming the attacking Mage has the Lightning Ring, and the first target creature has Aegis, here is how it should work:

Target 1: 5 dice (5+1-1), Target 2: 4 dice, Target 3: 3 dice, etc.

If the third target has Aegis (instead of the first), the dice would be:

Target 1: 6 dice (5+1), Target 2: 4 dice, Target 3: 2 dice (3-1), Target 4: 2 dice, etc.

We apologize for the confusion and hope this helps! Whenever possible we try to rule in favor of what is realistic, or what the spell's true intention is. In this case, Hawkeye was never intended to give more than 1 additional die for any ranged attack.

We will re-word Chain Lightning with errata to help make it clearer. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bryan, I had forgotten about the rewording of Ranged + X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K K
msg tools
Told you: 6,4,3,2,1
-1 for Aegis

The official forum is the place to go for rules explanations since it even has a section for Reworded rules.

The same example was in the forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McGrath
United States
OLYMPIA
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification! We played according to my interpretation, so yay us, but had the situation been a little different, we would have played incorrectly.

It's great to be able to get the answer from the designer himself, thanks internets!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.