Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was disappointed to find out that the expansion has been delayed for an unspecified amount of time, except to those who picked up the expansion at GenCon. During my many searches to find out any update information on the expansion I found out much about the content of the expansion.

As an exercise to fill my idle time I went ahead and compiled the information and thought about putting the cards through their paces in my mind. I don’t claim to be a deck building expert but I have played Ascension and its available expansions well over a hundred times. I have my tendencies (habits) but generally try to keep my options open while playing. Please keep this in mind as you read my comments.

Any errors in the text (translation), counts etc. are mine.

Errata: Apparently a couple of the promo cards that I mention below are Storm of Souls promos. They were new to me so I thought that they were ties into the new set.

Rating system: (Not Worthy) to (Worthy)

Immortal Heroes Expansion Card Listing:

The Events:
General Comment: The addition of the event card place holders is a great solution to getting more event action. What I like most about the events is the universal effect. While they may appear randomly, you can control their appearance by seeding the center deck to space out events to reduce the random changes that happen sometimes too quickly. More events are a good thing regardless of the potency or usefulness of any particular one.

Name / Event Type

Annihilation / Void
Event Text: When a Player acquires a Void card, that player may banish a card in the hand or discard pile.
Event Trophy: +1 Power
Comment: Nice if it comes up early to increase the value of the Void cards otherwise just a filler militia to aid in cycling a fanatic.

My Rating:
-----
Cosmic Protocol / Mechana
Event Text: When a player acquires a Mechana Construct, that player may put it directly into play.
Event Trophy: You may pay 2 Runes less to acquire your next Mechana Construct this turn.
Comment: Very nice if the mechana constructs are flowing in your favor or if you already have mechana discounts. However, this can just as easily go the other direction. Having a fanatic ready to supply the needed runes to make a big purchase that your opponents are not ready for could get your engine going.

My Rating:
-----
The Great Eclipse / Lifebound
Event Text: When a player acquires a Lifebound Hero, that player may put it on top of their deck.
Event Trophy: Name a hero. That Hero is also Lifebound this turn.
Comment: This could entice you to get a lifebound hero that you might not otherwise consider. In my experience lifebound decks are very much a support faction instead of a game winner but generally interesting to play. But if this is not in your game then you might pass unless ... You setup for this event combo:
1. Discard your fanatic
2. Call a center row hero a lifebound hero (Adayu, Vedah etc.)
3. Purchase and top deck the hero.

Your hero is ready to go. Sweet. Having a fanatic at the ready has never been so important.

My Rating:
-----
Moment of Clarity / Enlightened
Event Text: When a player acquires an Enlightened card, that player may draw a card.
Event Trophy: Banish a card in your hand. If you do, acquire a Mystic without paying its cost; put it in your hand.
Comment: Spend runes to get an enlightened card and then you get to draw a card!? Not very strong in my mind because that one card is not generally going to get something going. The trophy effect is a bit stronger to potentially give a little boost to your economy in the early going.

My Rating:
-----
Souls Unbound / Monster
Event Text: Monsters in the center row are Unbanishable
Event Trophy: Discard a card. If you do, gain a Soul Gem.
Comment: An event that takes away a bit of the tactical strategy of Ascension. Not a fan of this one unless I am set up for the big kill and the other players are at a disadvantage. Discard to get a Soul Gem? I would need to be very desperate to think that this is my best option.

My Rating:
-----
¬____________________

The Factions

Enlightened
General Comment: I enjoy playing the Enlightened due to some of their diverse abilities adding much of the fun and variability to the game. Often I find they can grease the wheels of progress.

Name / Type / (Quantity)

Arha Medium / Hero / (3)
Cost: 2
Honor: 1
Card Text: You may Banish this card to acquire a Mystic or Heavy without paying its cost. Put it into your hand.
Comment: The “into your hand” is OK but the rest is just meh. If this is your only purchase possibility it could bail you out later or you could just pass.

My Rating:
-----
Arha Sanctuary / Construct / Promo
Cost: 3
Honor: 2
Card Text: When this comes into play, put the top card of your deck under this face up. Once per turn, you may swap a card in your hand for the card under Arha Sanctuary.
When Arha Sanctuary leaves play or the game ends, put the card under it into your discard pile.
Comment: This can grant a significant amount of flexibility even if it is just to store a card that has little purpose with the current center row cards. This could be a power card with no fresh meat to kill. This promo card is much like another, the Nethersnare, except with a power twist. Interesting and the price and honor is more than right. It may be a little underpriced.

My Rating:
-----
Wandering Askara / Hero / (3)
Card Text: Draw a Card, then you may banish a card in the center row
If you have played another Wandering Askara this turn, you may banish both cards to take another turn after this one.
Comment: Provides center row manipulation and replaces itself, both make this a useful card. Get a second Wandering Askara and then at some random point in the future you get a “bonus” turn. My luck they would never pair up to provide the turn bonus. However the gain may only be a couple honor since the 2 WAs occupy a good chunk of your hand to get the turn bonus. Guaranteed to connect with the Arha Sanctuary promo, however.

My Rating:
-----
Askara of Souls / Hero / (2)
Cost: 4
Card Text: Gain a Soul Gem
Comment: Get a random hero each time Askara of Souls appears. The key word here is “random” which is hard to plan for and the cards in your deck might be more suited for what you might need to do. If it said draw a card or gain a Soul Gem, it might be more interesting. Not to excited about this ability.
My Rating:
-----
Temple Guardian / Hero / (2)
Cost: 5
Honor: 4
Card Text: Defeat a monster with cost 5 or less without paying its cost. If the current event is Enlightened, draw a card.
Comment: Nice honor ratio, get a good kill and maybe draw a card to boot. I like this one all the way around as long as the monsters are flowing.

My Rating:
-----
Elan, Soul Marshall / Hero / (1)
Cost: 6
Honor: 3
Card Text: Gain a Soul Gem. Draw a card
Comment: It replaces itself and provides a random hero. This is much better than Askara of Souls due to the lower impact on your hand when the card is drawn.

My Rating:
-----
Aaron, the Godslayer / Hero / (1)
Cost: 7
Card Text: Defeat a monster without paying its cost.
Comment: For comparison, Adayu gives 6 honor for 8 runes and allows you to acquire any “card” in the center row. Aaron, the Godslayer provides 4 for 7 and only works with monsters. This is quite a step down but 7 runes is slightly easier to come by. I think that I would rather have Muramasa’s power (3P) every turn for the same cost. I would not prioritize this one for the expense.

My Rating:
-----

Lifebound
General Comment: The lifebound faction became more interesting to play after the addition of the unite mechanic. While they usually feel underpowered, with some exceptions, they give me a sense of strategic play and hand improvement providing additional options for your turn.

Name / Type / (Quantity)

Wolf Acolyte / Hero / (3)
Cost: 1
Card Text: Gain 1 Rune / Unite: Draw a Card
Comment: An apprentice that might draw a card, oh boy! It is worth an honor. Every set has to have its throw away card. Here is this one.

My Rating:
-----
Spider Witch / Hero / (3)
Card Text: Gain 2 Honor / Unite: Gain a Soul Gem
Comment: Nice honor ratio and provides a little boost to your end game and maybe a nice random surprise. Much like the Enlightened hero, Elan, Soul Marshall, except without a little deck turning help and always providing a mystic value but at half the price. The soul gem is just a bonus that I would not count on. In a lifebound heavy deck it gets sweeter.

My Rating:
-----
Beast Staff / Construct / (2)
Card Text: Once per turn, gain 1 Power. / Once per turn, you may pay 1 Rune to reveal the top card of your deck and gain an amount of Honor equal to it's honor value.
Comment: I like this ability much more than the Great-Omen Raven. One, because it is a construct and two, because it is a near guaranteed hit once you have thinned your hand of apprentices and militias. Since its cost is in the middle of the construct pack it will also be easier to protect. Combine this with the Askara of Fortune promo card which allows you to look at the top card of your deck and you will increase your odds of maximizing its potential.

My Rating:
-----
Moon Staff / Construct / (Promo)
Card Text: Once per turn, you may spend 4 runes to double your power.
Comment: This one seems to be a bit harder to get good use out of unless you get the perfect storm of cards ... or you get two of them in play. Depending on how you insert your promos into your decks this can be a potent piece of luck. Still, it feels more like a flavor card and likely just so-so.

Rating:
-----
Stone Circle Elder / Hero / (2)
Card Text: Acquire a Hero with a cost 5 or less without paying its cost. Put it on top of your deck. If the current event is Lifebound, draw a card.
Comment: The top decking of the card is the pay off here along with its honor ratio. The fact that it has a 5 or less restriction makes it sound a bit stronger than it actually is (most of the 4 heroes have just as much punch). Still, it is a nice card to pick up the possibility of a little free honor and if a lifebound event can hang around awhile a couple card draws along the way.

My Rating:
-----
Sabre, The Moonlit / Hero / (1)
Card Text: Gain 1 Rune, 1 Power, and 1 Honor. Draw a card / Unite: Gain 1 Rune, 1 Power, and 1 Honor. Draw a card
Comment In a lifebound deck there is some nice versatility here and it does replace itself which is what probably gave it the 6 cost. Still, to make it really work you have get that unite ability to trigger regularly to make it a true 6 value card. Otherwise, it’ll do.

My Rating:
-----
The World Tree / Construct / (1)
Card Text: Once per turn, you may pay up to 5 runes to gain that much honor. When you play a Lifebound Hero, gain 1 Rune.
Comment I like the “up to” part of the construct so that you have the ability to cash it out every turn. It won’t take long for it to make you 10 or more total honor which is not bad for one card. Very nice. This one will be a target to knock out.

My Rating:
-----

Mechana
General Comment: The mechanas are sorely in need of some new things to do. For the most part all of those included here do the same thing, destroy to gain something or gain something when put into play. It would be cool if the mechana could act as a bridge between the other factions or to a new faction that adds a little more to their primary purpose in rune heavy decks, honor. I find mechana strategies a little dull to play and those included here don’t change my opinion.

Name / Type / (Quantity)

Recyclicrab / Construct / (2)
Card Text: When you play a Mechana Construct, if this is in your discard pile you may return it to your hand.
Comment: It’s the “it doesn’t do anything” card. The 3 honor is of course a good value and if you have some mechana constructs that need some constructing and you have a way of destroying the crab then you can have quite the system. Seems like a lot of work. If you are running a lean deck which most mechana heavy decks are then your opportunities to use the ability seem somewhat limited. Maybe I am missing something. Three card combos are not a favorite of mine in Ascension. I guess that you can call this card unique.

Rating:
-----
Energy Monk / Hero / (2)
Card Text: Gain 2 Power. You may return a Construct you control to your hand
[b]Comment:
This is the “crab facilitator” and with a nice honor ratio for a hero. The limited action gain on top of the 2 power make it a good buy. Combining the Energy Monk with some of the constructs below can create a little 2 card synergy.

Rating:
-----
Hedron Pyromaniac / Hero / (2)
Card Text: Gain 2 Runes. You may destroy a Construct you control to gain a Soul Gem.
Comment: Ooh look another “crab facilitater”. This time you get runes and a random hero/action if you have mechana constructs in play. So get that crab into your discard to get a soul gem. My luck it would work with every other deck cycle.

Rating:
-----
Spark Sprayer / Construct / (2)
Card Text: Once per turn, you may destroy a Mechana Construct you control to gain 1 Power. If the current event is Mechana, gain an additional 1 Power.
Comment: Again with the mechana destruction except now we get the full value in honor and 1 power to add to your energy monk to trigger the fanatic each turn. I am not sure how much fun this would be to play only with these constructs as they add almost no “fun factor”. They are very mechanical. Yeah, I know ...

Rating:
-----
Astrolabe TRX / Construct / (2)
Honor: 5
Card Text: When you play a Mechana Construct (including this one), gain 1 honor.
Comment: Another dull construct masquerading as a permanent apprentice. Wow! This is one that you want to keep in play to maximize its value because cycling this is not adding much value to your deck.

Rating:
-----
Driller Mark IV / Construct / (1)
Honor: 6
Card Text: Once per turn, when you play a Mechana Construct (including this one), gain a Soul Gem.
Comment: To make this work you need to be cycling your mechana constructs (where have I heard that before) otherwise it is just a good value that needs to get out of your deck. This costs 6?

Rating:
-----
Repurposer / Construct / (1)
Honor: 7
Card Text: Once per turn, when you play a Mechana Construct (including this one), you may return a Construct from your discard pile to your hand.
Comment: And the “king” mechana for this set does very little just like its cousins unless you are turning mechana constructs like water. Perhaps if these mechanas are blended with a couple other expansions they would seem more multi-dimensional. Still the honor value cannot be denied if you are loaded with runes.

Rating:
-----
Assimilation Plant / Construct / (Promo)
Cost: 9
Honor: 9
Card Text: Your Mechana Heroes are constructs instead. You may use their abilities once per turn. If this leaves play, put all your Mechana Heroes in play into your discard pile.
Comment: Typical honor ratio for a Mechana Construct and a nice effect if you able to line up a few Mechana heroes. This is a situation where having a fanatic out when the Mechana event from Storm of Souls is needed to protect this construct. If you can get a couple of Mechana heroes “constructing” as well, look out. Still it is going to be a tough purchase and the other player(s) may be looking to knock you back once you lay it out there. I like the unusual effect. This is much more interesting than the Mechana constructs in this expansion or any other for that matter. It does something unique.

Rating:

Void
General Comment: The void faction is interested in giving you power and trimming your deck. This has not changed with this expansion. However, the little tweaks in this expansion to the actions give the void a little fresher feel. Gaining a few void cards early can get your deck moving quickly and for little cost to you. Overall, these add a significant amount to the set.

Name / Type / (Quantity)

Deathsworn Warrior / Hero / (3)
Cost: 1
FateText: Each player may Banish a card in their hand or discard pile
Card Text: Gain 1 Power. You may banish a card in your hand or discard pile. Then, you may banish this to banish a second card in your hand or discard pile.
Comment: A militia that can banish your starter cards and then get rid of itself. Not a bad little starter card to pick up. The 1 power is not the enticement here as you likely are not going to be needing it once your deck is tuned. It is also the only card with a fate text, odd.

Rating:
-----
Soulshaper / Hero / (2)
Cost: 2
Card Text: You may banish this or another card in your hand. If you do, gain a Soul Gem. If the current event is Void, you may banish a card in your discard pile to gain a Soul Gem instead.
Comment: Another deck tuner that provides a random benefit. It will lose its value in the mid to late game so this is nice early.

Rating:
-----
Trophy Hunter / Hero / (3)
Card Text: Gain 2 Power. You may pay 1 less the next time you defeat a Trophy Monster this turn.
Comment: If playing with many trophy monsters (not the base set), this hero can help a bit in getting the job done. However, since the impact only affects some monsters it is not quite as effective as lesser heroes. Within this set alone, it is decent since most of the monsters are of the trophy design. If it was a 2 honor hero and only a higher density of trophy monsters appeared would his potential be realized and get a higher rating (maybe 3 stars). Since it is not likely to happen outside of this set alone, I care for the Trophy Hunter less.

Rating:
-----
Void Avenger / Hero / (2)
Card Text: Gain 3 Power. The next time you defeat a monster in the center row this turn, gain a Soul Gem.
Comment: Now this is more like it. 3 power is much more tasty and likely to assist in taking down the stronger monsters. At least the fanatic will be easy fodder. Getting a soul gem is OK but getting one mid turn reduces the hero’s effectiveness if more than one card is needed to bring it down. The honor ratio is right so I feel that this is a solid card to add to your deck.

Rating:
-----
Belthar, Soul Collector / Hero / (1)
Card Text: Gain 3 Power. The next time you defeat a monster in the center row this turn, gain 3 Runes.
Comment: As with the Void Avenger, the 3 power is welcome and the 3 runes can be quite the boost. Imagine defeating a Doom Weeper or a Wind Tyrant and then buying a 6+ rune hero/construct in the same turn. Very nice.

Rating:
-----
Cobra, the Sordid / Hero / (Promo)
Card Text: Gain 3 power / the next time you defeat a Monster this turn you may take its honor reward from the player with the most honor instead of from the honor pool. Choose one in case of a tie.
Comment: Have you found your way down the wrong path and need a way back? Here can be your answer, a targeted attack on the player with the most honor. I always get a bad feeling when I start to go down the rune path and then the monsters start dropping from the skies and I fall back a bit. Cobra is a very potent “Sordid Asp (Storm of Souls)” that even works on the cultist and fanatic if you unfortunate not to have a target in the center row. The 3 power is a wonderful bonus. This is one of the best and most useful promo cards. Keep an eye out for this one.

Rating:
-----

Orb of Nyx / Construct / (1)
Cost: 8
Honor: 5
Card Text: Once per turn, gain 3 Power. When you defeat a monster in the center row, gain a Soul Gem.
[b]Comment:
So now we have a Void Avenger that is a construct which costs 3 more runes to acquire. Tough buy and likely to get banished. If you have the runes, you can’t go wrong with the orb. This is Muramasa with a bonus for an extra rune.

Rating:
-----

The Bad Guys, (Monsters)

Name / Strength(P) / (Quantity)

Cackling Jackal / 3P / (3)
Reward: 2 Honor
Trophy: Banish this to gain 1 Rune
[b]Comment:
Basic monster, nothing special other than it being a trophy, which most are.

Rating:

Growmites / 3P / (5)
Reward: 2 Honor
Ongoing Trophy: When you defeat another Growmites, gain 2 Honor.
[b]Comment:
This monster is something different if you are playing in a limited environment (Immortal Heroes only, for example). If you are able to get a second kill, then you are getting more honor than the power required to beat the Growmite. Other than a couple of older promo cards it is possible to get more honor than the power cost needed. Get a third and this is stellar and can’t be banished. It would have been nice to have a few more of these to include if playing with other expansions. With the number present they really only supply the expansion and therefore rates higher if playing a small center deck.

Rating: (expansion only) otherwise
-----
Nothing Man / 4P / (3)
Reward: 3 Honor
Trophy: Banish this to gain a Soul Gem
Comment: The 3 honor is nice but unless you are getting at least one other soul gem during the current turn the bonus is, well, “random”.

Rating:

Acidic Crawler / 6P / (2)
Reward: 5 Honor
Card Effect: If an opponent controls the most Constructs, destroy all Constructs that player controls. (If multiple opponents are tied for the most constructs, they all destroy them. If you control the most, do nothing).
Comment: Whoa! Defeat this guy and you can wipe out one or more construct player’s holdings in one turn. This is a nice come back mechanic in the event that you went power while others went runes/constructs. This is will buy you a little time to get going again. The 5 honor is icing on the cake. This is also one of many cards that make the mechana constructs less helpful as they can get sent packing and you have to deal with them again.

Rating:
-----
Akam, the Genie / 7P / (1)
Reward: 3 Honor
Ongoing Trophy: Put 3 Wish Counters on Akam. Once per turn, you may remove a Wish Counter to gain 2 Runes or 2 Power. When Akam has no wish counters, banish him.
Comment: This monster is unique with its ongoing trophy effect but the 3 honor reward is appalling for the 7 attack needed for conquest. If the ongoing was 3/3 it would fit a little better with the power needed. I like the new idea but too many of these kind of cards would quickly become unwieldy.

Rating:
-----
Kythis, Rebel Godling / 8P / (1)
Reward: 8 Honor
Ongoing Trophy: Once per turn, gain a Soul Gem.
Comment: 8 honor for 8 power and an every turn bonus is more like it. This is a monster worth powering up for. This makes the soul gems less random as you get one each turn without condition and worry that it will be banished. So if you can’t get it, banish it from the center row.

Rating:
-----
Ender of Days / 10P / (Promo)
Reward: 10 honor
Card Effect: Remove all honor from the honor pool. [The game will end at the end of the current round]
Comment: Crazy card but it can be banished which makes it less random. 10 power is not likely to occur without numerous trophy/construct effects, Adayu, Samael or a couple other random occurrences. More of a filler card that can permit a player who focused on power to overcome a construct deficit. It is nice for a change of pace but you might consider inserting the card into a predetermined position in the center deck. Not necessarily a game breaker unless every player stops what they are doing to try and beat this card. I have lost to this but the margin of victory was less than 10 points. This is a fun idea.

Rating:

Soul Gems: (the Immortal Heroes)

How Gained: Draw the top card when you are permitted to gain a soul gem. The action on the card must be used during the current turn and discarded at the end.

General Comment: Some don’t like the randomness of the draw and the variability but I do offer a suggestion after the list below. It is something different but why not a treasure card or something cool. I guess that would have changed the name of the set though.

Hero Name / (#) (hero ability – included for quick reference)

Master Dhartha (1) (draw 3 cards)
Landtalker (1) (gain 3 runes)
Ascetic of the Lidless Eye (2) (draw 2 cards)
Arbiter of Fate (2) (draw a card / may banish a card in your hand or discard pile)
Arha Templar (2) (defeat a monster of 4 or less power)
Askara of Fate (2) (draw 2 cards / each other player may draw a card / may banish a card in the center row)
Avatar Golem (2) (gain 2 power / gain 1 honor for each type of construct you control)
Demon Slayer (2) (gain 3 power)
Druids of the Stone Circle (2) (acquire a hero the costs 3 runes or less / place on top of your deck)
Reactor Monk (2) (gain 2 runes / +1 rune if you acquire a construct this turn)
Dimenson Diver (2) (gain 2 runes / may treat all constructs as Mechana this turn)
Runic Lycanthorpe (2) (gain 2 runes / if played a lifebound hero gain 2 power)
Shade of the Black Watch (2) (gain 2 power / may banish a card in your hand or discard pile)
Wolf Shaman (2) (gain 1 rune and draw a card)
Great-Omen Raven (2) (name a card, reveal the top card of your deck and put in your hand, if it is the named card +3 honor)
Seer of the Forked Path (2) (draw a card / may banish a card in the center row)
Spike Vixen (2) (gain 1 power and draw a card)
Arha Initiate (2) (draw 1 card)
Lifebound Initiate (2) (gain 1 rune and 1 honor)
Mechana Initiate (2) (gain 1 rune or 1 power)
Void Initiate (2) (gain 1 honor / may banish a card in your hand or discard pile)

Un-Official Variant: (lower luck) Turn the top Soul Gem card faceup. It can be banished by any player like it was a card in the center row. Turn the next card face up. If a player gains more than 1 soul gem they must all be drawn at once.

Overall Impression:

This is for the most part a “more cards” expansion which adds a couple minor twists on the play. Storm of Souls may have raised my expectations too high as it added the most to the game’s mechanics and gave it more of a gamey feel. I don’t mind the randomness of the center row and generally play with all of the sets mixed together which some say make it even more random. I like the word “varied” better. As it is, I give this set a 7 rating. I can’t imagine playing only with this set especially the mechanas which seem to be getting more and more useless (some/many have commented in the past that they were too powerful so maybe we are pulling back a little?) or more simply, boring to play. With many monsters now destroying some to all of your constructs in one swoop they now cycle your deck more and thus do more when put into play.

Now to the trivial to some (including me) but very important to others, the art. The art presented in the later expansions including this one is excellent and more importantly, unique. I find unique artistic styles more interesting and less distracting when it comes to this type of card play. There is nothing to be ashamed of. I do not use art as a reason to increase or decrease a rating unless it impacts the function of the game mechanics themselves. It simply does not here. So I say “well done” and “keep it coming”.

Promo Comment:
Had the promo cards that I mentioned above come with the expansion, I would rate the expansion a bit higher as a set, probably an 8. There are some very unusual ideas present that can make you change the way you play the game. They are “impact” cards. The promos that GG offers for Ascension are for the most part quite interesting to use and play with. I hope that they keep this going and please make them available on the website. Proxies are fine for a while but it would be nice to have the real things. Is a year 2 set in the works?

What I would like to see in future sets:
1. Different effects when attacking monsters in the center row, such as: Monsters that get enraged when attacked and lash out at the other players forcing them to defend themselves by discarding cards or revealing the necessary power. Perhaps this can be triggered by the player who does not have enough strength to take down the monster but can still benefit by antagonizing him.
2. New faction or “do something with the mechanas”: Either a new faction or work some fresh abilities into the Mechanas to bring factions together making them interact more. Most of the mechanas focus only on mechanas. There are other honor methods that could be employed to make them more interactive (kind of like a unite effect like the Combustion Idol provides). It would be nice.
3. Goal cards?: Perhaps some kind of goal card that provides some points for achieving something during the game. The card would be visible and other players could actively work to try and thwart your ability to achieve the goal. Tracking of the “hurdles” could be done by the honor tokens that are gained much like the Soul Collector promo.
4. New starting cards: The latest Dominion set added a little bit to the starting hand to mix things up at the beginning. I am not sure what they could be since some of the “1” heroes are taking up some of the design space that I am suggesting.

Whichever way Ascension goes in the future, the next expansion might be crucial to keep it in the gaming cycle. It needs another Storm of Souls kick to increase the tactical play and expand the dynamics to stay relevant in the current gaming climate.

Thanks for reading this. Here is hoping that we won’t have to wait too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mention the Wandering Askaras might not combine for much of a gain since they take up a good chunk of your hand... But they replace themselves by drawing you a card, so they don't take up hand space at all. I'd acquire them for an enlightenment heavy deck to increase the odds of seeing them together.

I second your wish for new starting cards. In the meantime, it might make a good variant to mix up some or all of the one cost heroes and deal them randomly to the players to add to or replace their starting decks.

Another idea for down the road could be identity/faction cards, to give each player a unique ability. Again, this could probably be tried out with a variant such as: instead of shuffling into the center deck, give each player an event card at random which only he may make use of during the game. Probably not very balanced though.

Might have to try these two variant ideas together soon... Srprised I hadn't thought of event thing before. Anyway! Good read. Nice way to fill time while waiting for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron W
msg tools
That's so interesting your analysis.

I have a completely opposite view to you on some cards.

Soul Shifter I feel is hands down the best card in the game. It's cheap, banishes, and has the potential to pull out a Master Dhartha. Meanwhile, the Souls Unbound ability to discard for a soul gem is fantastic! Use it off a militia or apprentice and you get a brand new card which is almost always useful.

I do agree that all the Mechanas are dreadful. The 5 point one is especially bad. It's a one-use Everbloom yuk it's even worse than in your analysis where you incorrectly assumed it gave runes, it gives 1 honor instead..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pirat Cristobal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi.

I don't understand how works spider witch. Is that right: when i play it from my hand on board I can gain two honor tokens and then I can draw soul game card?

I have hope You understand my poor english

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.