Subject: Albuquerque in Flames - part 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Harned
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after getting advice off of this board a friend and I are playing our first game on Vassal. We've play WiF several times over the years and have decided to play the Delux campaign game. I'm the Axis and he's the Wallies (so if there's an Axis slant to these reports you know why). We're excited to try pilots, CV planes and the Sif counters.

Rules: Most optional rules in play, but due to our noobie-ness no Cif/Pif/Aif/Lif/factories/food. House rules: no Japanese allowed in European maps and CW pays a penalty (1BP) if it removes it's fleet from the Pacific maps.

It's been a while since the last report (life does intrude). We've played two more turns:

N/D '39: Cold, wet, rainy, short turn.

This one was a while ago so I'm a little fuzzy on the details. In short the Wallies had initiative and the weather was storming/raining/snowing most places.

Germany: Takes Belgium and advances to the Antwerp/Brussels/resource line and can't get any further. Moves as many troops as possible from Poland to the west. Does sortie some uboats but searches turn up nothing.

Italy: Shuttles troops to eastern Libya. Nothing going on with the build up on the western Egyptian boarder. Just peaceful maneuvers. Pay no attention.

Japan: Moves troops along the northern flank of the Chinese, but can't take advantage of initial comm. Chinese weakness due to not having the initiative. Has to settle for bombing 2BP out of existence.

CW: Reinforces Malta with a corp. and puts a corp and fighter into Egypt. Moves the BEF to hold the northern end of the French line. Strat bombs innocent civilians and causes Germans to lose 2BP.

French: Supposedly moves troops into Belgium as reaction to German "invasion". But we Germans can spot imperialistic aggression when we see it.

Russia: Rails troops to Siberia to threaten Japanese, prepares to take Bessarabia, but is thwarted by poor weather and lack of knowledge of rules (possible that Rumania could have kept them out of the country for a turn)

China: Moved comm. Chinese to prevent Japanese flanking operation in the North.

USA: Could care less about the annexation, err, emancipation of Brussels. Deeply troubled by Chinese efforts to build aircraft.

J/F '40 Luftwaffe reign o'er me

The weather was snow/rain/snow in N. Temperate which is the only zone experiencing combat currently. Wallies gain initiative - again.

Germany: Luftwaffe has a banner turn destroying a French fighter, a CW bomber and flipping almost everything they bombed despite the highest ground strike being a 3 (mostly 1s and 2s due to weather/terrain) - and suffering no losses. This allows the complete emancipation of Brussels, Lille, 1 French resource and the destruction of 3 corp, 2 div and 1 French HQ. Only thing stopping the advance to Paris is bad weather and limitation of 2 impulses for the Axis.

Italy: In typical Italian fashion do very little but ship a motorized unit to Libya, then passed to try and end the turn on the second Axis impulse (setting up potential Axis double move) - no luck.

Japan: Moved troops to prepare for possible assault on Si-an when the weather turns. Strat. bomb 2 BPs from China.

CW: Shift BEF (Gort, Mech corp) around the ruins of Lille to support new northern end of French "line". Suffer no losses in BPs or resources due to German pre-occupation with land combat.

France: Wondered what's got the Germans all riled up. Plugged holes in lines as best they could.

Russia: Took Baltic States. Seeing the rapid collapse of France thought better of a Manchurian adventure and started railing troops back to the east.

China: Sat like Buddha and watched the Japanese harmlessly swarm around the defensive perimeter.

USA: Appalled by Russian aggression in the Baltic. No further news on this front as of the writing of this report because game was wrapped up before US Entry Options - cranky child influence....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rober Khan
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Germany is running fast! You have plans for a long summer of evilness if France falls early?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Harned
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got very lucky this past turn (J/F '40). Given the weather and the Wallies getting the initiative I expected to basically re-org the front lines and hunt convoys. I tossed two Stuka's at a stack but needed to roll either a 2 or 3 just to flip. Ended up flipping the entire stack (2 corp, 1 div). Threw my troops against the stack (it was snowing) and got a */2B result. The break through threatened his line and cut-off Lille (which only had one corp flipped from rail move). Snow turned to rain and he could not seal the breakthrough very well and a counter stroke by the Germans netted Lille and another kill on a French stack.

So to answer your question I'm guessing the Germans can find things to do during the summer of 1940 to keep things interesting.

I'd tell more, but my opponent might read this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.