Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that most of us have the game and are thinking about scenarios... I thought it would be helpful to float a thread where some of us can get paper models to build bigger ships or special ships for scenarios or in case anyone REALLY wanted to fly bigger ships against the starfighters.

This is actually an excuse to share my find of a paper model of the BFF-1 Bulk freighter from the X-Wing and TIE fighter computer games. As some of you may know, in X-Wing the developers got creative with combinations of containers and bulk freighters to make all sorts of bases and installations for the player to attack or defend or whatever, and I thought we could do the same here, with the same BFF. One example is stacking two of them on top of one another to serve as an imperial refit dock.

I haven't assembled the freighter yet to check scale, but it's easy to scale if you have image-editing software and can print it on multiple sheets of paper. Then you have an objective craft to fight over and it would be something more attractive than that flat cardboard Senator shuttle!

Since this is intended to be a resource thread, I thought I should lump in the paper turbolaser turret nightbomber mentioned in another thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://3dpapermodelbrasil.blogspot.com.au/2009_03_01_archive...
Scroll down for goodies such as Lancer frigates, Strike Cruisers, Carrack class cruisers etc

There are older posts which you can navigate to from that page which have even more ships

Edit: not sure on the scale of things though, some of the smaller ships were done for WoTC SW-SSB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
squallgoku wrote:
http://3dpapermodelbrasil.blogspot.com.au/2009_03_01_archive...
Scroll down for goodies such as Lancer frigates, Strike Cruisers, Carrack class cruisers etc

The Tie-Bizarro is indeed bizarre, the weapon pod could be blasted off and the pilot would have no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
This is actually an excuse to share my find of a paper model of the BFF-1 Bulk freighter from the X-Wing and TIE fighter computer games. As some of you may know, in X-Wing the developers got creative with combinations of containers and bulk freighters to make all sorts of bases and installations for the player to attack or defend or whatever, and I thought we could do the same here, with the same BFF.
Problem is, to be in scale with the ships, a single one of those containers has to be almost 1 foot long, making the whole freighter around 2 feet in length... a bit big for the play area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would have to be the length of 9.68 X-Wings.

Unfortunately my ships haven't arrived yet so I don't know how long an X-wing miniature is currently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For objective ships I don't think accuracy is entirely essential, especially in cases like the BFF-1. Having it big enough to mass several X-Wings would be just as effective as it was for full scale... probably make it easier for maneuvers too.

What would really be great is if someone could dig up models of the containers or lighter freighter craft from TIE fighter. Even with the 3D models in some format there are probably people here who could run the conversions and make them available to other players who want them.

The Cargo Ferry might be a nice alternative if someone could go get it. 33cm, right? A little over a foot long?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the card model links. Interesting looking projects.

One thing i learned about printers is that they aren't all created equal when it comes to printing up square. Test out your printer by printing up a square and than measuring it. It's a wierd effect but some printers compress images slightly, which makes them impossible to card model with

There are shit tons of free card modelling sites on the web, you just have to search. For about the cost of one boardgame you can get a cutting mat, blades, steel ruler etc and have a whole setup. Definitely worth it.

check this out for a mindblower... http://www.digitalnavy.com/ wow these are tough models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Bulk Freighter model, and what I did discover (in trying to scale it), is that if it is printed on A0 paper instead of A4 (which is what is comes as), you get the right scale.

Downside is that you need to find someplace that does poster printing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, has anyone thought about settling for two scales of ships?
One for the fighters and one for the really huge Star Destroyer type ships?

I've seen ships from the Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles and they're pretty nice. (It's been awhile though, there was a box of the as singles at my flgs) It seems to me that during the movies that the fighters just swarm in and around the huger cruisers so quickly that it's like the bigger ships aren't even moving.

For X-Wing, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me to use ships from Star Wars Starships as objective markers on the table. "OK, here's where the Star Destroyer is at, here's where the Cruiser is at..." There just needs to be rules for such a system. I don't really see how else they're going to get the big ships into the game.

Or how about plundering Battleship Galaxies for ships to create convoy scenarios? hmmm....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.