Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THE HOTEL FROM HELL
[A difficult mission for 6 Survivors with an extra tray of zombies (e.g. the Abomination Package)]

We climbed out of the subway to find ourselves in the courtyard of the One Star Hotel. I thought this hotel was seedy before Z-day, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that it's full of walking corpses.

The only way out is in. We just need to find an electronic key-card to get through one of the exterior doors. It sounds simple enough... so why do I have a really bad feeling about this?

You will need the following tiles for this scenario: 2C, 4C, 1B, 4E, 7B, 4D, 2B, 4B & 1C.

OBJECTIVES:

Accomplish the following tasks in this order:
• Kill the abomination that starts in the courtyard.
• Reach an Exit Zone with the surviving characters.

SPECIAL RULES:

• Place an abomination in the zone marked (1).
• Eight objectives are visible on the map. First, randomly choose between a blue and a green objective token, placing the chosen token face down (e.g. red side up). Put the other objective token away without looking at it; it will not be used in this scenario. Then, randomly mix the chosen objective with 7 "neutral" objective tokens (red on both sides) and place them as shown on the map. Players should not know which objective token is "marked" nor what colour it is.
• The green door cannot be opened until the green objective has been taken.
• The blue door cannot be opened until the blue objective has been taken.
(It will only be possible to open one of these doors, and you will not know which until the marked objective is found)
• Each objective token (regardless of colour) gives 5 experience points to the Survivor who takes it.
• Exterior walls leading to the courtyard (tile 7B) are considered impassable; the only way to enter or exit the building interior is via doors.
• You may search the staring location; however, you may not close the starting location's door (e.g. with the Lock It Down skill).

ZOMBIES IN A HOTEL

The big building with Spawn Zones in it is going to generate a lot of different ways for Zombies to get out, no matter where they want to go. It will get even worse with the opening of the first door, since all Zones will receive Zombies. Marked below are the shortest routes from the Spawn Zone to each door.
Inside a closed building, Zombies move as usual. They follow the shortest route to the noisiest Zone but stop behind the doors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this mission 3 times, each time employing a different strategy. The first two times I got slaughtered. The third time, I successfully got all 6 survivors to the exit without taking a wound... but I also got insanely lucky with item draws. At the end of the game, the team was sporting: dual sawed-offs (Ned), katana + shotgun w/PoA (Nick), dual pistols w/PoA (El Cholo; he had both machetes in reserve), chainsaw + sniper rifle (Josh), dual SMGs (Wanda; given to her by Doug because he was getting too high in XP), katana + sawed-off w/PoA (Doug).

Basically, if you make any mistakes or get particularly unlucky early on, then you'll realize you're going to lose within the first 15-20 minutes. Also, it is possible to have extra walker activations while at BLUE (due to running out of walkers or fatties), even when using 3 trays of zombies, due to all the splitting! You have to be very careful about what you intend to do and where you'll end your turn (e.g. open the building and fight your way in vs. open the building and stay in the courtyard / head for the other door; move to a zone to make it the loudest so zombies don't split; etc) while killing enough zombies to keep the population under control.

Another point of advice: When opening the first door, it saves time if you deal a spawn card to each room in the building, then resolve them. Since you will do this at Blue, the order in which you resolve the spawn cards won't matter; i.e. extra activations don't happen at Blue... unless you run out of zombies, in which case you're going to lose anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Dysart
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I had the exact same idea for tile layout, but with the survivors starting on the outside and fighting inward (assaulting a necromancer's citadel). I may still write it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome set up, I love the idea about trying to find the green/blue key but don't know exactly where it is. I will try this scenario out with the wife today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Kucera
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
static
badge
static
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! This looks like a fun scenario, but what I'm most amused by is the thought of a hotel which requires a keycard for you to get OUT.  :) Will have to give this one a try...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sekhmet wrote:
Ha! This looks like a fun scenario, but what I'm most amused by is the thought of a hotel which requires a keycard for you to get OUT.  Will have to give this one a try...

LOL, you caught that, eh?! If somebody can come up with a better reason for needing to find something before being allowed to exit, and then only being able to use one of the exit doors (but don't know which until you find that "something"), I'm all ears. Until then, this hotel remains a health-and-safety nightmare...
(e.g. perhaps the fire exits are only unlocked when the fire alarm goes off (backwards!), and you have to trigger a fire alarm... which you can't seem to find?!?)

P.S. Five spawn points makes this one really tough to beat, and combined with such a huge building (and zombie mitosis), leads to a lot of extra activations via all walkers (or fatties) in play. The reason for the 5th spawn point (in the middle) was to prevent Nick from breaking the game by pinning down the abomination while everybody else looks for the key + molotov components. Even if the abomination starts with a few walkers (or even runners), you can just kill the walkers (runners) and then pin down the abom. So I stuck a spawn point there to encourage everyone (including Nick) to move along.

An option I am considering is having the 5th spawn point be blue, and having it become deactivated after you open both doors in the courtyard area. Once the building is opened up like that, it becomes more difficult to safely pin down the abomination with Nick. However, it forces a particular starting strategy (you'd always want to open both doors to cut down on spawning), and I'd rather leave the players with more options - e.g. preserving a possible strategy of opening only one door and fighting your way in.

Thoughts?

Shadow25 wrote:
Awesome set up, I love the idea about trying to find the green/blue key but don't know exactly where it is. I will try this scenario out with the wife today!

The inspiration for only one key that opens one of the doors was to discourage a particular strategy.

If one key opens both doors, or if both keys are out there somewhere, then it might be possible for Wanda, Josh, or another slippery/fast survivor to run around collecting objective tokens while everybody else stands in front of an exit, attracting/killing zombies. As soon as the marked objective is found, the others exit and win the scenario.

But not knowing which door will be available discourages this. Now if you do this, you only have a 50% chance of being in front of the right door. That's a big risk if it means you might have to travel all the way across the building late in the game - and after one or two survivors have gained a pile of experience from picking up objectives, which might push the spawn level into orange prematurely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaronopie aaronopie
United States
des moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have an idea for the story of the scenario that is a bit more plausible...

Security National Bank has been locked down due to suspicious (zombie) activity outside. Unfortunately for those inside, one of the tellers was bit earlier in the morning as still came to work. Now all the employees have been turned, except for the Survivors who snuck away to the basement to have a coffee. Upon hearing the security alarm, they head back upstairs to find all their former colleagues are zombies! Worse still, Doug let the door to the breakroom close and lock. Now the only way out is to find a keycard to disengage one of the security doors.

The board itself looks fun and particularly brutal, cant wait to round up some friends and try it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neil rumary
msg tools
This is an awesome set up by the way. i had great fun playing through it a few times. I've been creating a few of my own tiles and this setup influenced the design of my stadium set. I haven't had a chance to play your mission on it yet, but I hope to soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.