Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » QLD (Brisbane)

Subject: Brisbane Independent Gamers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Harley and I went along to the monthly meeting of B.I.G. this morning. Although we had never been before, and most of the guys who play board games were unable to make it, Harley played Pirates of the Spanish Main for 3 hours and I had a game of Sumo! and a game of Domaine. I'm grateful for *any* game of Domaine, and in the past week I have played 2 at QGG and one at BIG. I guess it pays to search the city for gamers...

Anyway, here's a quick summary of what happened at this particular BIG meeting. There was one table of Lord of the Rings miniatures, two games of Warhammer 40K, one game of Warhammer Fantasy (I think). There was one table of Pirates of the Spanish Main and Other Places, and me with my board games. The Pirates game was mostly young boys, aged 9-11, who were an absolute credit to the club and their parents. Harley was invited to play and had a really good time and we had to buy some packs because he intends to play regularly. There were a couple of little girls who occupied themselves colouring in and didn't disrupt anyone. One of the dads is a WizzKids Envoy, which means he has a serious PoSM addiction and WizzKids get his help to spread the word about the game :-). So there can be no rules arguments, because he knows everything. There was also one guy selling cast resin terrain, which looked very nice. He usually plays WW2 15mm miniatures, don't know what rules.

At lunch time, the club sold us hot dogs and drinks at perfectly reasonable rates. Harley didn't want to leave, but I had made a commitment to be elsewhere for the afternoon. I had such a good time that I joined the club - and also, BIG membership gets you a discount at Mind Games.

Umm, what else do you need to know? Meetings are 2nd Sunday of every month, at a church hall near the Mater Hospital. Here's the link for more details:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/brisbanegamers/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you had a good time. I don't think I'll ever be able to make this one. I probably won't be around here very much longer.

Would Harley like some ships? I have got a handful of them, and I don't think I really want to hold on to them anymore. So if he wants, I can just pass them along to him.

Except for my Enterprise. It's my only 5-masted ship, and I want to keep that one. He's free to take whatever else I have though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I mentioned on my GeekList, you're one of my favourite Sings. Yes, Harley would love that, thank you. When do you go back? BTW, be careful of that Latria chick, she's a werewolf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latria is a guy. And I will be very careful of him. ninja

I'll be going back on 19 Dec. But my parents are coming earlier to attend my convocation, so we'll be doing a little bit of sightseeing around Southeast Queensland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wong
Singapore
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes ... and I was the first to leave soon after Critical Mass was formed and everytime when I check the forum, I really wish I was back in Bris playing games with you chaps. Thankfully Ken is coming back, so I'll have another gaming buddy soon.

Hope things are good for Harley and you. And send Andrew my regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harley and I attended the meeting on 8 January. Still no sign of other board gamers, but there are usually a few people hangin around aimlessly. I played a couple of games of Memoir '44 with Glynn from Fernvale Specialty Scenics, while Harley played Pirates of the Spanish Main and then a similar game with rocket ships. Other guys played LotR Miniatures, De Bellis Napoleonicus, and some 6mm WWII miniatures game that didn't seem to have any name. Ray brought along his terrain for that, and settled for a table about 3m x 4m for the first game. Afterwards, he doubled that, but there was no time to play a game that big. The DBN game was huge as well, and went all day with 4 players. After some of the miniatures guys finished, we played Zombies with the mall and military base expansions, which went for about 2 hours. Although I got badly beaten, I was able to cause some trouble for the leaders. Overall, a good day which can only be improved by the addition of more board gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Verburgt
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi All
Just sign up I game at BIG I am into miniatures my self they are

* DBM 3.1, DBA -15mm
* DBV, DBA - 1/72 scale
* Hordes of the Things.
* Napoleonic games - DBN rules from Military Simulations - 1/72 scale.
& looking in to ACW 1/72 scale
* WW2 - Flames of War. 15mm
* Wizkids - Pirates.
* Lord Of The Rings.

But thank's to John & Harley Farrell for bring there Board Game every month.I have seen games that I did not now about before have try some hope to try more.
I have Honor of the Samurai And Shogun hope to play them one day.
Have fun all hope to see you at big some time for a game.

Cheers
Glen Verburgt

Brisbane Independent Gamers Inc or B.I.G

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Brisbanegamers/

Club meetings: 9am to 4pm
2nd Sunday of the month.
Venue:Serbian Hall
(Cnr of Vulture St & Stephens Rd Highgate Hill
(Opposite South Bank Railway Station & South Bank Busway.)

"All Gamers Are Welcome to have a game or two with us "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.