Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
40 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Supreme court to hear case that could stop us from reselling our board games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Case is Supap Kirtsaeng v. John Wiley & Sons. A guy was having family members buy textbooks overseas legally and ship them to him. He then resold them.

The problem is the publisher is suing for copyright infringement because the were "Manufactured" overseas. not purchased overseas

So our most of our games.

I heard about this from Ebay. Obviously it would shut auction sites down.

If you want to sign the petition Google Citizens FOR OWNERSHIP RIGHTS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
This would have no impact on individuals reselling their boardgames.

If you have a business importing cheaper versions of copyrighted items to resell in the US, it may affect you. It appears to be what Congress intended to do, so take it up with them if you can compete with the publishing lobby.

http://newsandinsight.thomsonreuters.com/Legal/News/2011/08_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
like this there is a big stink about people being sued for selling legitimate copies of the pdx90 workout dvds....seems the manufacturer is sending vero notices to anyone and everyone they can find on amazon and ebay.

i hope the first sale doctrine wins out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks messy, and I don't think basing it on point of manufacture is a good idea at all. Lots of things manufactured for and sold in the USA are made in other countries.

I could easily see this negating most of "First Sale" for many types of products that are easy to outsource (or already are).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Making something a crime doesn't stop it from happening. Sometimes it has the opposite effect, e.g., prohibition and the war on drugs. Granted board games aren't booze or heroin, but I would argue board games are just as addictive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Whatever the effect on board games positive or negative, I hope this comes down on the side of the reseller here. The textbook industry is positively insane. It's not an overstatement that you can get identical materials [save for ink / paper / binding; identical content] in an "international edition" for 10-20% of the cost of the US-produced editions. I did this [bought international editions on eBay through guys just like this] throughout my entire graduate degree and easily saved a few thousand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they rule for the Publisher this is gonna get real bad over here. Talk about small business taking a hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
Granted board games aren't booze or heroin, but I would argue board games are just as addictive.

They really, really aren't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dale-not-Chip wrote:
If they rule for the Publisher this is gonna get real bad over here. Talk about small business taking a hit.

Given their track record, I'm pretty sure they will. They threw over 100 years of precedent when they said minimum advertised prices were OK.

But even if I don't agree with it, I don't see it having a major effect in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
dboeren wrote:
This looks messy, and I don't think basing it on point of manufacture is a good idea at all. Lots of things manufactured for and sold in the USA are made in other countries.
With such a ruling functioning as a fairly attractive lure for certain industries to move manufacturing out of the USA in order to gain perpetual resale rights.

I would think that a court would understand that many things are practically indeterminable when it comes to point-of-manufacture. Do you know where everything in your house was made? "Oh, sorry, Mr. Federal Regulator, I had no idea that wasn't made in America, my bad..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:
Granted board games aren't booze or heroin, but I would argue board games are just as addictive.

I was being facetious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
dboeren wrote:
With such a ruling functioning as a fairly attractive lure for certain industries to move manufacturing out of the USA in order to gain perpetual resale rights.

I would think that a court would understand that many things are practically indeterminable when it comes to point-of-manufacture. Do you know where everything in your house was made? "Oh, sorry, Mr. Federal Regulator, I had no idea that wasn't made in America, my bad..."

I don't think that is what the ruling is about. Copyright holders want to be able to enforce distribution limitations when they label products where they can be sold. I don't see any perpetual resale issue here, just one where a US customer can't get a cheaper version of a book made overseas and intended for sale overseas.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but it doesn't seem to be what was represented here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently we don't have this situation with boardgames. There is no publisher that is selling the same games in another country cheaper than in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
Currently we don't have this situation with boardgames. There is no publisher that is selling the same games in another country cheaper than in the US.

That seems incredibly wrong, but I'm not sure a counter-example comes to mind immediately. Japon Brand? Haba?

Regardless, price doesn't seem to be at issue in this case... just point-of-origin and intended distribution locale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athos
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about other grey markets? I remember buying Leica camera equipment grey market for much less than the official ones. Exact same thing, but but when Leica sells the cameras overseas they are like 25 to 40% less than what they charge here... In a global downturn economy these corporations need to realize they can no longer rip off Americans to pad their bottom line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
ralpher wrote:

That seems incredibly wrong, but I'm not sure a counter-example comes to mind immediately. Japon Brand? Haba?

Regardless, price doesn't seem to be at issue in this case... just point-of-origin and intended distribution locale.

Those companies don't have publishing agreements in the US. They'd be happy if OLGS buy directly from them and import the games to the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There is definitely a HABA USA branch that operates separately of the European arm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:

It all depends how they rule. If they rule that you can't resell something manufactured overseas. It matters not where you bought it anymore. the new precedent would be where it was manufactured. Because of the suit they are claiming it's the Manufacturer location not the purchase location that is the copyright infringement.

If that becomes the new legal precedent game publishers could stop us reselling in order to buy their new game.

They might not do it because we are a niche market and you generally don't want to make your limited customers mad. But they could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Hornung
United States
Mission
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:

I was being facetious.

I need my fix of Mice and Mystics reallly bad. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The First Sale Doctrine is incredibly important and it's absolutely absurd that the courts have not made it apply to copyrighted items. But this is a topic suited for RSP so I won't get into it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bhorn62 wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:

I was being facetious.

I need my fix of Mice and Mystics reallly bad. whistle

They bust all the Mice and Mystics suppliers, man!
You could get a Monopoly, and some Settlers of Catan for the comedown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:

I think it depends on the person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:

Ummm. I think I read somewhere that admitting you have a problem is the first step toward recovery ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is unbelievable. Us and EU are going in opposite directions.

In EU the European Court of Justice ruled (basically) that you should be allowed to resell digital goods and that DRM preventing you from using them should be removed. I guess this will be extremely hard to enforce, but at least we have this ruling.

I really hope the superme court won't stop resale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, what does Disney say? They've essentially been writing US copyright law for the past 80 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.