Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Lady Parts Justice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lizz Winstead wrote:
Look, it’s time to stop being polite and start asking, “What the fuck do you think you are trying to pull here?”

It is time to ask, “Why the fuck are men and women who are inexcusably incompetent continually being elected into statehouses, governorships and THE UNITED STATES CONGRESS? [...]

ENOUGH.

Women are not faking rape and they don’t have magical powers to deactivate rape sperm. We are not pregnant before we are pregnant, we can’t have an abortion if we are not pregnant, and I think we can all agree, women shouldn’t be forced to carry stillborn babies.

Abortions don’t cause mental instability and the HPV vaccine doesn’t make girls mentally retarded. No woman’s boss should be able to demand information from her to decide if her reason for wanting birth control is moral enough to grant permission.

OH Yeah, and Planned Parenthood isn’t turning Girl Scouts into Commulezzies




ladypartsjustice.com

I think she has a point. We make Supreme Court Justices take a written test and submit to a grueling public 'interview' process. Why not require the members of congress appointed to committees to pass a written and oral test on the subject of that committee?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Who guards the guardians? Somehow I think in an Xian-majority chamber would come up with a test that could only be passed by spouting Xian dogma. Anyone who faked it, easy enough, would be denounced as a liar and a flip-flopper.

On the particular issue, it seems to me the putative free market party is ignoring the complete lack of free market activity to stop or reduce abortion. That says to me these are not dedicated life defenders, but only hypocrites who want to run other people's lives.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be great if there was a way to create a shared consensus on actual science-based facts and stop treating them as simply opinions that reasonable people can choose to disagree on acording to taste.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, the consensuses are still ignored.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
hsquid wrote:
It would be great if there was a way to create a shared consensus on actual science-based facts and stop treating them as simply opinions that reasonable people can choose to disagree on acording to taste.


The differences are ones of definition and values. Science is useful for a lot of things, but there is no scientific "answer" to the abortion debate.

If you're simply referring to the use of science to dispell misinformation, then I'm right there with you and fully agree with your point. I just don't think that agreeing on that facts will lead to a resolution of issues surrounding abortion.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But there is about magic uteruses and legitamate rape.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
hsquid wrote:
It would be great if there was a way to create a shared consensus on actual science-based facts and stop treating them as simply opinions that reasonable people can choose to disagree on acording to taste.


The differences are ones of definition and values. Science is useful for a lot of things, but there is no scientific "answer" to the abortion debate.

If you're simply referring to the use of science to dispell misinformation, then I'm right there with you and fully agree with your point. I just don't think that agreeing on that facts will lead to a resolution of issues surrounding abortion.


I totally agree that you can't "scientifically" decide straight values questions, and, at it's core, abortion is one of them. But there are an awful lot of statements made about abortion or just about any other emotion-laden issue that are simply demonstably wrong. Science doesn't necessarily provide direct answers, but it at least should constrain the range of reasonable opinions and create a viable framework for debate, allowing the true values differences to be fleshed out.

As it is, there is all to often a false equivalence between so-called sides of a scientific/politcal debate. For example, global warming is real, it's only a "debate" because it's politically controversial. The political system seems to have created an implicit understanding that you can choose your reality by just tracking down a seemingly well-credentialled person to put on a bow tie and echo a convenient opinion.

This often goes hand-in-hand with the so-called "principled" approach towards dealing with controversial issues.

Sex education and availabilty of contraceptives are pretty effective ways to reduce abortions, but you don't hear that passionately argued very often
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There is no Dana, only Zuul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


I think it's starting to get passionately back on the agenda, and talked about. This is an excellent talk, and one of the most important points brought out, I think, is that contraception is about giving families the choice of when to become parents. It's not abortion - it's giving the power of choice, and allowing families to have more control over their lives.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, people do argue that point. But why isn't it at the centre of the pro-life agenda? In terms of low-hanging abortion-preventing fruit it should be the main focus, way ahead of trying to force abortion underground by making it illegal.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hsquid wrote:


Sex education and availabilty of contraceptives are pretty effective ways to reduce abortions, but you don't hear that passionately argued very often



All of which are available in New Zealand and yet the abortion rate keeps going up, so I an inclined to think your statement applies
to the wishful thinking universe and not the one we actually live in.

Technically it's illegal here, but that does not seem to stop anyone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fascinating reply in the context of this thread.

muntmeister wrote:
hsquid wrote:


Sex education and availabilty of contraceptives are pretty effective ways to reduce abortions, but you don't hear that passionately argued very often


All of which are available in New Zealand and yet the abortion rate keeps going up, so I an inclined to think your statement applies
to the wishful thinking universe and not the one we actually live in.

A lot of things can affect the abortion rate and having sex education is no guarantee that the rate will continue to go down. If it has been implemented consistently for many years the existence of sex education says nothing at all about the change in abortion rate, just that it would be higher without it- which is not just conjecture but has been demonstrated with as much certainty as a social idea can be.

Quote:
Technically it's illegal here, but that does not seem to stop anyone.

Which is pretty much my point that pushing for crimininalisation is not a great use of resources if what you really want is fewer abortions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.