Subject: Newbie Recommendations? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to try to play this but nobody has played before.

I plan to play a simulated 2-player game or two ahead of time to learn the rules, I have already printed out some nice reference material, and I am not planning on using the Brood Wars Expansion.

Given that, does it seem OK to play with 3 or 4 players for a first game? Any other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Going to try to play this but nobody has played before.

I plan to play a simulated 2-player game or two ahead of time to learn the rules, I have already printed out some nice reference material, and I am not planning on using the Brood Wars Expansion.

Given that, does it seem OK to play with 3 or 4 players for a first game? Any other suggestions?

I think playing with new people is fine as long as you have the time. It's a heavy game and explaining all the orders and combat and everything takes time, especially if you do it at a slow pace so everyone can really understand how it works.

Playing a solo game ahead of time is a good idea, definitely. It's also good that you leave Brood Wars out (although add this back in as soon as you feel your group understands the game, it rocks).

Play will probably be slow as people try to search through their technology decks and decide what units to buy/research towards. I'd recommend they not spend too much time overthinking things and just try and have fun while learning the game. It's a game that heavily rewards repeated play and it's pretty deep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way you have to place orders in reverse order is what messes with the noobies heads the most I have found. Then searching for techs. Helps if they've at least read them but there's a lot of data on each card to process. Tell them to attack their neighbor's stuff. Go from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think playing with 3 or 4 players is fine. I think when we first played this game, we had 4 or 5 players. Sure it was slow, but we recognized that we were all learning and having a good time.

I would recommend that everyone take on different species so that everyone can have a taste of everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a pretty deep game, are you and your friends familiar with the first StarCraft computer game?
Because that will help a lot with knowing what different units are capable of.

The reserve order stack does throw people initially but once you get your head around it, it works fine.

The other rule that is easy to forget is that you place your Mobilise orders on the planet that you are moving TO, not the planet you are moving from.

EDIT: clarification on video game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the friends are fairly new to board gaming but have played tons of the video game in the past. I, on the other hand, have never played the video game, but have tons of board gaming experience. I guess between all of us we should do OK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.