Popular Tags: [View All]
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to plan ahead for games to play with my kids when they're older (and possibly with my game group in the meantime). I like the idea of games where the outcome of the early matches impacts the later ones, but am unsure where to go.

I may dabble in RPGs someday, but for now I'm just looking at board games.

I have Gunslinger already, but I have to admit it's a little intimidating for a lot of people, between the math involved and the very sparse graphic design. Perhaps I'll be able to get my kids interested, but I've had a hard enough time convincing my gamer friends due to the lack of eye candy (and I don't really have the talent to spruce it up myself).

Here are some of the ones I've looked at:

-Memoir '44: Campaign Book Volume 2 (And #1 if the prices ever come back to Earth). I already have and love Memoir, and I've heard these are great. Downside is 2 player only.

-Risk Legacy I like (but don't love) Risk. Concern is the replayability (of course), the potential of a runaway leader (my perception, could be wrong) and the fragility of the game state (hard to ask questions without spoilers, but I am aware, for instance, that you can handicap Australia, and I know people I play with who would be certain to take the opportunity to make Australia impregnable and just turn the game into a battle for that continent).

-Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) It sounds like this one is more or less designed to be played as a campaign. I don't love the theme, have minor concerns about the random bits, and more concerned about the play time for each session (which is why I basically never even looked at 1st edition).

-Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel I was at one time looking at this, but I'd read some things about balance issues that kind of scared me off.

Any opinions about any of the stuff I listed? Any games I'm not aware of that I should consider? Any games with a really bad campaign mechanism I should know to avoid should I happen upon them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Genders
United Kingdom
Woking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Bowl (Third Edition) best played as a league

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B M
United States
Redford Charter Twp
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Risk Legacy it's not to difficult to balance out the continents stuff that comes in later definitely takes care of any concerns you might have.

The issue of a runaway leader is dealt with in one pack that is opened.

The issue of Australia is dealt with even before the first game starts and as other packets are opened. Unless you have everyone putting the good stuff into Australia you should be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d3sp41r wrote:

Thanks for the answer and keeping it spoiler free!

d3sp41r wrote:
Unless you have everyone putting the good stuff into Australia you should be fine.

See, that's my concern. I know that virtually any game can be broken if people play against the spirit of it, but when I heard in the early reviews that you can self-balance, it implied to me that you could also use that to throw the map pretty out of balance if you've got people so inclined to play like that. I suspect a lot of my friends would put everything into Australia, some because they genuinely think that the Australia strategy is the only way to go (and that they can be the ones to hold it), others because they just want to watch the world burn.

I guess it sounds like one of those games that would be either incredibly fun or incredibly painful, and it's a lot of money to shell out to find out, given that if I don't like it I'm still pretty much stuck with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B M
United States
Redford Charter Twp
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can offset that with some of the coin distribution at the beginning and then just telling people that playing defensively makes it so you lose.

We didn't have a winner out of Australia til Game 3 before that it was South America in Game 1 and then Europe in Game 2.

If you have people that just want to watch the world burn find different people I thought about who I wanted ahead of time and got people that I knew got along outside of game time.

Also you get some stuff at the beginning that can make a territory harder to hold you can easily drop some of those in there which is what I did much to the chagrin of the person trying to use the Australia strategy. devil

Edit: forgot to mention that the way you win also offsets those two issues as well since you're playing for victory points not territory control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
d3sp41r wrote:
For Risk Legacy it's not to difficult to balance out the continents stuff that comes in later definitely takes care of any concerns you might have.

The issue of Australia is dealt with even before the first game starts and as other packets are opened. Unless you have everyone putting the good stuff into Australia you should be fine.

I would warn you though, if you "like, not love" Risk, beware. I was fascinated by the concept and bought the game--even "forced" to play it just one time per month, I've grown to LOATHE, DETEST, and BITTERLY HATE Risk. Hadn't played since college, and I've been radically spoiled by actual good gameplay and mechanicsin the decades since. I am SO sorry I ever gave this game a chance. We still have three or four more games to go before we finish the 15 games...ugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
VolcanoLotus wrote:
d3sp41r wrote:

d3sp41r wrote:
Unless you have everyone putting the good stuff into Australia you should be fine.

See, that's my concern. I know that virtually any game can be broken if people play against the spirit of it, but when I heard in the early reviews that you can self-balance, it implied to me that you could also use that to throw the map pretty out of balance if you've got people so inclined to play like that. I suspect a lot of my friends would put everything into Australia, some because they genuinely think that the Australia strategy is the only way to go (and that they can be the ones to hold it), others because they just want to watch the world burn.

I guess it sounds like one of those games that would be either incredibly fun or incredibly painful, and it's a lot of money to shell out to find out, given that if I don't like it I'm still pretty much stuck with it.

If that's your sole concern, it's not a problem. The game does a fantastic job of keeping everything very well balanced, if you play by the rules. See my above warning though--I will take no responsibility in anyone else getting suckered into having to play 15 mind-numbing games of this game unless you already find Risk fun. Remember this is going to take up probably 30 or more hours of your group's gaming time. For us, it has been utterly not worth it, but we're unfortunately driven to see how it all turns out even though the process is painful; given the opportunity again, we would never do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sprydle wrote:
VolcanoLotus wrote:
d3sp41r wrote:

d3sp41r wrote:

If that's your sole concern, it's not a problem. The game does a fantastic job of keeping everything very well balanced, if you play by the rules. See my above warning though--I will take no responsibility in anyone else getting suckered into having to play 15 mind-numbing games of this game unless you already find Risk fun. Remember this is going to take up probably 30 or more hours of your group's gaming time. For us, it has been utterly not worth it, but we're unfortunately driven to see how it all turns out even though the process is painful; given the opportunity again, we would never do it.

Do you have any other suggestions for good campaign games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B M
United States
Redford Charter Twp
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I would warn you though, if you "like, not love" Risk, beware. I was fascinated by the concept and bought the game--even "forced" to play it just one time per month, I've grown to LOATHE, DETEST, and BITTERLY HATE Risk. Hadn't played since college, and I've been radically spoiled by actual good gameplay and mechanicsin the decades since. I am SO sorry I ever gave this game a chance. We still have three or four more games to go before we finish the 15 games...ugh.

I have had the opposite experience after playing Twilight Struggle I no longer liked Risk but took a chance on this and it has made me a believer. I can see that if it slogs on then it can get tedious but this version of risk is definitely designed to be played very aggressively. Our first game was over in 20 minutes the second in 30 the 3rd took about an hour and the fourth about an hour and a half. All of us were on the edge of our seats the whole time.

Definitely take into account your gaming group because it doesn't work for everyone. It works for some and not for others. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk Legacy has bad multi-session campaigns.

Unless you are reliving the joys of your childhood, where you played Risk but wished it had more I cannot see you liking this.

a WG group I paint miniatures with tried this as a 'gateway game'. Result: everybody hated it. Stick to Panzer Leader if you are trying to recapture your childhood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.