Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The girl and I are getting close to the ultrasound to where we find out the gender

We both live in a different State than our families, so we have already found the way we are going to announce it to them. Probably pretty 'basic' to certain people, but cute none the less..

But where we are having the issue now, is how do we surprise ourselves?

We watched a video on youtube, of a couple going to the Ultrasound, getting the results in an envelope, and then they went to a store and picked out one girl outfit and one boy outfit. They then went to the desk and asked the associate to open the letter (while they are outside of the store of course), wrap the correct outfit in the box with the envelope, and here is the money for the outfit, etc..

Then they went to another location and opened the gift together and found the surprise of what they were having!

So, I obviously don't want to repeat that idea, although I think it is perfect! but I want to make it my own!

But I also want to hear sugestions from people who are creative

Suggest:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that business with the different outfits sounds like a lot of work.

I guess I'm boring. The only two things I considered were "find out at the ultrasound" and "ask the doctor not to tell us, buy unisex stuff until the baby is born." My wife and I went with the former.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah idk.. I mean the ultrasound for the heartbeat was so uneventful for me and I expected it to be a bit more exciting than "there it is"..

Idk, it's my first child and call me crazy, but I like the idea of making memories about it all when I can

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of your two favorite celebration things. For example, maybe pink champagne for a girl, clear for a boy. Wrap them in identical boxes, but with a Post-It with "girl" or "boy" on each. (Don't write on the box or it may mark the wrapping.) Ask the doctor or clinician to keep the box not matching the gender of the child, and take the sticky off the box that does match and return it to you. Open when you wish.

Follow your doctor's directions on alcohol consumption!

This could equally be chocolates, blue- and pink-iced cakes, etc.

Even Mounds and Almond Joy candy bars (obviously Almond Joy for the boy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Kittanning
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends had a Gender Reveal party. Queue up the standard firehall crockpot-and-meatball foods. In addition, they gave the results to a friend who baked a cake for the dessert. Food coloring was used: if it was a boy the cake would be blue; a girl, pink. (Some sort of neutral icing was used.) So they invited friends and family, and everyone (except the baker) found out the gender when the first piece of cake was sliced off.

Not only was it fun (party) and surprising (pretty inventive IMO), but also: CAKE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Coase wrote:
My friends had a Gender Reveal party. Queue up the standard firehall crockpot-and-meatball foods. In addition, they gave the results to a friend who baked a cake for the dessert. Food coloring was used: if it was a boy the cake would be blue; a girl, pink. (Some sort of neutral icing was used.) So they invited friends and family, and everyone (except the baker) found out the gender when the first piece of cake was sliced off.

Not only was it fun (party) and surprising (pretty inventive IMO), but also: CAKE!

Some family friends did the same thing recently, but with cupcakes and colored the the filling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
My wife did "crackers" for our second child. Where everyone at the reveal party would pop them at the same time, and either Blue confetti came out or Pink.

Not the eating kind, these:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
at my wifes ultrasound for gender, my son had his legs wide open, junk flappin in the breeze. there was no way of hiding it.

i promptly texted pics of my kids package to family and friends.

it was the right thing to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My wife sneaked up behind me while I was working in the garden. I was so startled I soiled myself.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
The gender of my children was immaterial to me. Our first child we didn't know until it was born that it was a girl. On our second (and last), we agreed again not to look, but I was working out of town and my wife looked anyway. I didn't know until the birth that it was a boy, because I wanted to be surprised.

Turns out I was the only one who *didn't* know. My wife was so excited she was having a boy that she told our birth coach, our friends and relatives, people at our church, plus others, and she swore them all to secrecy. When she told me about it a few weeks after the birth I was rather miffed. After telling all those people outside our little family she might as well have told me. It's one thing to check the gender and keep it to yourself, it's another to check and share it widely.

Anyway, what we did for the nursery, clothes, toys, etc. before the first birth was to do them all in non-gender-specific pastel colors like yellow, green, beige, etc. That way they could be passed on to the next kid no matter the sex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't care about the gender. But I did count 10 fingers and toes. Both kids were born underwater in a birthing center.

Congratulations on the baby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coase wrote:

But if the Cake is a lie????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Wife and I had a cake made with either blue decorations or pink and had a reveal party.

BUT

We learned at the ultrasound. Personally, this ultrasound is a heck of a lot different from the first where your looking for the 'beacon' your going to be able to see a good amount of detail. If you are going to be surprised, odds are you'll have to skip watching the whole thing. Our first born, was definitely a boy from the first picture of the ultrasound, there was no work for the tech. Our second child, we learned she was a girl, the first on my side of the family for generations that was not by invitro fertilization. I have clear memories of both of them. I can't imagine missing not watching that ultrasound. If your really not going to, see if you can get a CD of it.

Words don't do justice to the excitement and joy of looking at that ultrasound and watching your child open and close their hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peloquin17 wrote:
at my wifes ultrasound for gender, my son had his legs wide open, junk flappin in the breeze. there was no way of hiding it.

i promptly texted pics of my kids package to family and friends.

it was the right thing to do.

I'm with you brother.

I showed the video and a picture with an arrow pointing to his privates labeled: "its a boy!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm old fashioned. I liked not knowing until he or she was born, it gave me an extra bonus to look forward to after all that work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For our first, we found out ahead of time (at the ultrasound), but didn't tell anyone else.

For our second, we know, and we are going to tell the family, but haven't yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sorry, I've just got to say that you are going to find out the sex of your child. Sex is biological -- male or female. Gender is cultural or social differences -- masculine or feminine.

That being said, you're going to find out the sex at some point. Why wait? Also, don't be disappointed if the ultrasound technician accidently tells you. Or you may even be able to tell yourself. It doesn't matter when or how you hear -- you'll be surprised. In some cases, the technician just might not be able to tell due to development or position of the baby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you're a musician you could do something similar with music. Seal up the gender and give it to a friend (hopefully one with similar musical tastes as you). Have them make you an unlabeled CD, or just a "Baby" CD that has a girl or boy theme. Play the CD at the Reveal Party.

If you like, have it so the CD does not overtly reveal the gender (until the last song or something). Then you play the CD at the Reveal Party and make a Reveal Party Game out of it. Earliest correct guess or have them make guesses with gender and birth height and weight, etc, to determine the winner of a prize or pool.

You could also do a board game tournament with the grand prize being the winner gets to make the reveal (and be the first to find out). I will say make two envelopes in this case just in case the winner is a dick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
I guess I'm old fashioned. I liked not knowing until he or she was born, it gave me an extra bonus to look forward to after all that work.

Me too--other than the work part... There are very few good surprises in life, so we decided to make that one of them. I was shocked my plan-everything-out, Type-A wife was okay with both kiddos being a surprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I also second the get pictures or a CD of the ultrasound. THAT'S a memory you don't want to NOT have.

Also, I wouldn't worry about "making" the reveal memorable or special for you (by all means, do, just don't worry that it won't become a memory). I only have the one daughter so far, but her "reveal" ultrasound is something I will never forget. Down to the technician telling us that she couldn't be sure if it was a clitoris or penis (I hope I didn't just RSP this), but she thought it was the former (later ultrasound confirmed the guess).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Scott Firestone IV wrote:
Jatoha wrote:

Me too--other than the work part... There are very few good surprises in life, so we decided to make that one of them. I was shocked my plan-everything-out, Type-A wife was okay with both kiddos being a surprise.

Didn't know until the day for all three kids. Never wanted to know before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I am definitely in the don't find out the gender until birth camp. It really ramps up the excitement for the big day. If everybody already knows the gender and often the name, than people are just waiting around for the inevitable to happen. If you keep it a mystery there is this great sense of impending surprise. When you make the calls you get to yell "It's a girl!" or "It's a boy!" whatever the case maybe. That's a lot more fun than just informing people of the time, weight and length. Gender announcements are much more fun than stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Do whatever you think is best for you, but for me, we found out with Rilyn, and went in blind with Caleb. Having experienced both situations, I can say, with 100% certainty, not finding out was incredibly more exciting and satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Moon Knight wrote:
I am definitely in the don't find out the gender until birth camp.

Birth camp? Do we get to roast marshmallows and tell ghost stories?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
We found out for our first kid... if we're lucky and get a 2nd, we won't be.

We're both glad we both found out on the first one, because this was both of us in the ultrasound room (to ourselves, in our heads)

Me: "Oh, man, that's a boy... and boy is he... oh, wait, that's the umbilical cord."

Wife: "It's a girl...it's a girl! Oh, wait, they were just really zoomed-in on the spine."

And at the end of getting all the measurements and everything, the technician goes, "I couldn't tell either way. Could you pee and maybe the baby will move around so we could see?"

So, here my wife and I thought we were ultrasound techs ourselves...and we found out, no, we weren't.

------------------------------------------------------

For the second kid, the wife really really wants a girl. If it had gone the other way, I'm sure I would have really really wanted a boy.

The thing is, when you find out, all you have is your imagination as to how life is going to be with that kid for the next 18-20 weeks after the 20 week ultrasound.

So, it really sucked for my wife because she doesn't know anything about boy things and what little boys are going to like to do (grew-up with 1 sister). Meanwhile I got to imagine getting ameritrash actually played and throwing balls and general boy mischief.

Now, if she ever read this she would want to clarify that she was elated about having a boy, and disappointed all at the same time...and she felt horrible for being nothing but elated, but... you know how it goes.

If we had waited, there might have been a split second, at most, of that 'disappointment' before you realize, "you have a baby" which is a far greater gravity situation.

--------------------------------------

For your first kid: When people buy you stuff, it's never really 'gender neutral'... and that makes a difference when you pick your car seats and your diaper bag and your pee tent, crib sets, etc. etc.

For your second kid: You realize you don't need more than two-three spare diapers in each car, and both are so freakin' filled with sipee cups, diaper wipes, books, rattles, other stupid stuff... why bother with a diaper bag except if you're going to the zoo or something that day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
jimbrax wrote:
Djcheddar wrote:

But where we are having the issue now, is how do we surprise ourselves?

By waiting till the birth?

Gender reveal party. What a ridiculous idea and waste of everybody's time and money. Apart from the retailers who sell gender reveal party items and are laughing all the way to the bank.
I bet you're just a barrel of fun at holidays too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.