Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Dexter
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really sure here, my son and I have thus far been playing the single player version, so all the action cards are in the open with the tokens to manage when we've played certain ones. With a true multiple player version do you hold the action cards and not discuss strategy? We love this game, but agree as many have commented, the rule book is AWFUL.

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Todd
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Talk out everything except instinct cards. I'm not sure if it says in the book but I always leave my actions sitting out with the token on the active one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dexter
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
scottder wrote:
Not really sure here, my son and I have thus far been playing the single player version, so all the action cards are in the open with the tokens to manage when we've played certain ones. With a true multiple player version do you hold the action cards and not discuss strategy? We love this game, but agree as many have commented, the rule book is AWFUL.
I am not really sure how the rule book can be considered awful on this point when (below emphasis mine):
p. 10, A Game Round wrote:
1. Choose Actions Phase: Each player secretly chooses which Action card he would like to resolve this round.
p. 11, 1. Choose Actions Phase wrote:
During this phase, each player simultaneously chooses one Action card from his hand and places it face down in front of himself. ...

Players may share any information they wish about their Action cards in their hand but may not show cards in their hand to other players.
The example given after that shows what you can discuss with the other player(s). Since each combat team only has two cards playable (after the first Round), other players can very likely know (50-50) what card each combat team is going to play.

I do not dispute that the rule book is not efficiently organized or presented (my mind was quite heavy and hesitant after reading the rules and setting up for the first game), but after playing once, it seems everything that is supposed to be in the book is there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dexter
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how I missed that in the book, but thanks.

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Todd
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I never understood the point of selecting in secret. You're all going to talk out what you are going to do anyway. The only time it would seem reasonable to hide what you're doing is if you're going to lie, and in this game that's probably the worst thing you can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Redfern
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've only played this solo but want to play with more players. This rule is something that puzzles me. If players can share any information about their actions cards how is that different from actually showing the cards? Is this rule just to encourage dialogue between the players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason they say to be secretive is because they are afraid of one player telling everyone what to do. (Basically playing solo with some friends to hold the cards for him). If you just remind everyone not to be bossy, there is no reason for the secrecy.

Of course for added challenge you can play silently. Good if you like chaos. Bad if you like winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Redfern
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Makes sense! Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dypaca wrote:
The reason they say to be secretive is because they are afraid of one player telling everyone what to do. (Basically playing solo with some friends to hold the cards for him). If you just remind everyone not to be bossy, there is no reason for the secrecy.

Of course for added challenge you can play silently. Good if you like chaos. Bad if you like winning.

Yup. This is a common theme with FF games.

"The Lord of The Rings" board game has the same rule. It's a co-op game but you may never show another player your cards - for the reason mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.