Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the time of year when the International Abstract Games Organization (IAGO) takes nominations for games to induct into its Hall of Fame. If you are interested in being part of the committee that nominates and votes on them, please let me know. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Clark, is there going to be a poll up somewhere to get people to be able to vote and input, once get nominations? Also, any criterion people need to be aware of? I am fairly sure there is a Hive contingent out there that will lobby for Hive. If the criterion is the design of the game has passed on, then that would be out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
docreason wrote:
Hey Clark, is there going to be a poll up somewhere to get people to be able to vote and input, once get nominations? Also, any criterion people need to be aware of? I am fairly sure there is a Hive contingent out there that will lobby for Hive. If the criterion is the design of the game has passed on, then that would be out.

Criteria are that nominated games need to be combinatorial strategy games played in turns in which theme/subject is either absent or unimportant to play, and that there are no hidden, speed, random, performance or significant memory elements during play. More than two players or random starting configuration may be OK depending upon the situation.

Preference should generally be given to games that have some historical significance (not merely the new hotness), but age of the game, author or copyright status will need to be discussed by the committee, so I can't give you a definite answer about games authored within the past few years.

Most of the work is done within a set of Google documents, including a poll for the final voting, so anyone who would like to participate should send me a working contact e-mail address (for sharing the Google documents) by private GeekMail.

Clark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like Alice Chess, V.R. Parton, 1953 http://www.chessvariants.org/other.dir/alice.html to be considered. Parton, sadly, is deceased, but was the designer and promoter of a number of inventive chess variants. Alice is a diabolically simple variant, that I believe fits the criteria set forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joejoyce wrote:
I would like Alice Chess, V.R. Parton, 1953 http://www.chessvariants.org/other.dir/alice.html to be considered. Parton, sadly, is deceased, but was the designer and promoter of a number of inventive chess variants. Alice is a diabolically simple variant, that I believe fits the criteria set forth.

Both noted in the working Google Doc. Thanks, Joe! Geekmail me if you need me to resend the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Rosenau
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What has a member of the comittee got to do exactly and when?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zickzack wrote:
What has a member of the comittee got to do exactly and when?

Basically, we do what I just did above, and Clark puts the nominations together, then the committee members play and rate the games to determine which 5 are the "best", and those 5 are inducted. Clark can explain it a lot better and much more accurately than that, but that's the general idea. If nothing else, you might play a game or two you've never played before - with me, it's often several. If you like abstract strategy games and have an open mind, it just might be worth trying. I've enjoyed participating, even though I've always had to ask Clark to email me everything each time. Maybe I can talk him into posting a better explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
What "if" 'moi' were to 'concoct' "Football"-CHESS? and I E-V-E-N have 3&1/2 'minds' upon doing "just" THUS! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
What "if" 'moi' were to 'concoct' "Football"-CHESS? and I E-V-E-N have 3&1/2 'minds' upon doing "just" THUS! laugh

We'd have to kick it around for 30 - 50 years. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GROGnads wrote:
joejoyce wrote:
oh! and would there "B"-sum through A-N-Y: 'dogs'-'dun'-'due'? coal
wow~"Watchmon WHERE the 'Huskies'; "go" and 'get' UR "ducks" *blazing*-in-a-row-now-!" robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
GROGnads wrote:
joejoyce wrote:
oh! and would there "B"-sum through A-N-Y: 'dogs'-'dun'-'due'? coal
wow~"Watchmon WHERE the 'Huskies'; "go" and 'get' UR "ducks" *blazing*-in-a-row-now-!" robot

"No dogs nor Irish need apply" - too harsh by half, but 'twill hold the dogs in a-BAY-ance... or mayhap I'm barking up the wrong tree?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
joejoyce wrote:
"No dogs nor Irish need apply" - too harsh by half, but 'twill hold the dogs in a-BAY-ance... or mayhap I'm barking up the wrong tree?
'moi' "artistic rendition" FOR & ABOUT: "Irish Setters playing CHESS"; shall beg, sit-up, and even JUMP yet NOT: "rollover"; to 'differ', eh wot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Rosenau
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
joejoyce wrote:
Basically, we do what I just did above, and Clark puts the nominations together, then the committee members play and rate the games to determine which 5 are the "best", and those 5 are inducted.

I would like to volunteer, but there is something that bothers me.

Case in point: give me a game, let us call it "Iqiew". Tell me to play and rate it. I take it seriously and play fifty games. Let us further assume I lose each of these games. How will I rate the game in itself?

We are talking about games of skills. And skill is a highly elusive beast. That is the very point of the game. How do I recognize during my hunt that I have seen at least the shadow of the beast?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm concerned about hasty decisions and unclear criteria. "Hall of Fame" sounds "serious", but ad hoc nominations with no concrete criteria or qualifications and trying out new games to vote on them (possibly playing just a few times) sounds "not so serious" (kind of like Mensa game awards, or Golden Geek awards).

How long has this "Hall of Fame" award process existed? What are some past winners? http://iagohalloffame.com/ has an empty list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zickzack wrote:
joejoyce wrote:
Basically, we do what I just did above, and Clark puts the nominations together, then the committee members play and rate the games to determine which 5 are the "best", and those 5 are inducted.

I would like to volunteer, but there is something that bothers me.

Case in point: give me a game, let us call it "Iqiew". Tell me to play and rate it. I take it seriously and play fifty games. Let us further assume I lose each of these games. How will I rate the game in itself?

We are talking about games of skills. And skill is a highly elusive beast. That is the very point of the game. How do I recognize during my hunt that I have seen at least the shadow of the beast?

It's not as involved as all that. The hall of fame committee chair (currently, that's me) takes nominations from people and puts them on a list (a Google Doc where committee members can read and comment). If a committee member wants to nominate a game, they suggest it, and I add it to the list, along with the initials of who nominated it. If someone disagrees with a certain nomination, I put their initials after it in "strike through". But either way, comments help. It is expected that the person nominating a game will have played it to know something about its quality, and can speak to its significance in some way, but this is all done on the honor system.

At some point (in the past, it has been the end of November, nominations are cut off, and the chair creates a Google survey that members use to vote on the nominees. I tally the votes and make a Geeklist about it.

We have also tossed around the idea of nominating significant contributions to abstract strategy gaming outside the games themselves, such as compilations, authors, strategists, academics, technologies, etc. I think maybe one per year would be a good limit on that, but again, that's up for discussion by the whole committee, and in past years, we have not formally nominated or inducted anything other than games.

Benedikt, I hope this helps, and I also hope you'll consider being part of the IAGO Hall of Fame Committee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I'm concerned about hasty decisions and unclear criteria. "Hall of Fame" sounds "serious", but ad hoc nominations with no concrete criteria or qualifications and trying out new games to vote on them (possibly playing just a few times) sounds "not so serious" (kind of like Mensa game awards, or Golden Geek awards).

How long has this "Hall of Fame" award process existed? What are some past winners? http://iagohalloffame.com/ has an empty list.

Richard Hutnik did it the first time around in 2008. I have been the one organizing the process since then, and have posted Geeklists each year. It is still a relatively young process, and that's one of the reasons we've been fairly conservative in our nominations and inductions to date, choosing mainly from games that are older and have definite historical significance. I still believe that significance should be weighted more heavily than current hotness, especially hotness among a relatively small group. Committee members have to be careful to take into account the rest of the world in their discussions.

I don't know anything about the web site; that was Rich's, and I think there must have been a money lapse somewhere along the way. Meanwhile, you can look at my Geeklists (I don't do many) to find years 2009 through 2011 inductee lists.

Russ, if you (or anyone else with a real interest) would like to be involved in the committee, please let me know your e-mail address (for sharing the Google documents) by private Geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Rosenau
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CDRodeffer wrote:
I still believe that significance should be weighted more heavily than current hotness, especially hotness among a relatively small group.

I agree and I did not mean to sound too critical. The first round of inductees had a perfect score in my book. However, we are moving on to uncharted terrain now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reymann
United States
Barberton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd." Voltaire
badge
Crafty Shaman Impersonator
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in participating in this; is it too late for me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Mingy Jongo wrote:
I'm interested in participating in this; is it too late for me?
shake Why, no, not at all, and you can have "Candyland"-CHESS if you or any other: "WANT"? 'moi' already 'got' "dibs" upon "Shot-glass"-CHESS! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb

.......found on the iago site

Saturday, October 31, 2009

2009 IAGO Hall of Fame Inductees are announced.

The games inducted this year are:
Alquerque
Bao
Dots & Boxes
Fox & Geese
Halma
International Checkers
Nim
Othello
Shatranj
Tic-Tac-Toe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.