12 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Other Solo Missions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew D
msg tools
mbmb
I just picked up this game and I'm slightly confused by the "Other Solo Missions" blurb under the 'Solo Conquest' scenario. It reads,

"This is a standard solo mission. If you wish though, you may play any other mission as solo, just use similar setup modifications and Special rules as this mission."

I may be having a dense moment, but what does this mean - specifically?

For the Special rules component, I've got that down - use the dummy player and the rule of discarding used Tactics.

So, what exactly should be modified for the other scenarios to turn them into Solo scenarios?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
nothing ... either go for highscore or ... go for the highscore

I was kinda disapointed in that too :s I am not a big fan on getting the highest score. So here is hoping for some more fleshed out solo scenario's in the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Other than that there are scoring modifications.

There are some solo missions in the files here that focus on objectives.

I don't worry about my score too much these days. I find enough variety in trying to knock off both cities, still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another excellent place to look is in the Variants Forum. There are suggested rules for "Solo Mines Liberation", "Solo Dungeon Lords", and "Hunting the Rogue Knight".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There seem to be several modifications for Solo play.

1. Handle the Tactics cards differently (as explained in the Special Rules of the Solo Conquest)
2. Remove competitive Spells (17-20)
3. Remove the player's competitive skill (the one written in a different color)
4. Skills are handled differently, as explained under the "Cooperative and Solo Scenarios" section
5. There is one less Countryside tile in the Solo Conquest, so I would suggest each other scenario would have one less as well. There seem to be 8 countryside tiles in most other scenarios for 2 players, so there would be only 7 for one player (being careful not to remove any key tile, depending on the scenario - thus do not remove a Dungeon in the Dungeon Lords, do not remove a Mine in the Mines Liberation, do not remove a Glade in the Druid Nights)
6. Scoring is slightly different if you are interested in points - mainly, you do not award Titles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mbmb
thanks, all. i was most curious as how the tile set-ups would change in switching the non-solo scenarios to solo. thanks for the tips!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
Brentwood (not the OJ one)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, can you play the competitive scenarios solo, too? Or just the cooperative ones?

The competitive ones are - Full Conquest, Blitz Conquest, Mines Liberation, Druid Nights, Dungeon Lords, Conquer and Hold and One to Return.

How are these to be played solo?

I hope it's not just First Recon, Full Cooperation, Blitz Cooperation and Solo Conquest that are playable solo. That's less than half of the missions.

Thanks for any help. I just bought the game, and am getting ready to dig into the rulebooks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could theoretically play any scenario as solo. But since Druid Nights, C&H and one to return don't have winning conditions, people don't usually solo them (you could still play just for maximizing the score, I guess). Solo full conquest is basically the standard solo mission, so you're left with blitz conquest, DL and ML.

Also, notice that Dungeon Lords, without any modification, is painfully easy, and Mine Liberation is very hard. So people usually add/remove tiles from them, or modify the number of rounds of these scenarios to play solo.

There are several unofficial solo missions in the variant forum. Some of them have had a lot of playtesting.

Edit: However, the replayability of the game doesn't come from different missions. Lots of MK players only play Solo Conquest, even after buying LL expansion which adds 3 new solo missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo Conquest is *very* replayable. Last weekend I played 10 solo games of it, and was not tempted to move on to any of the other scenarios (I have all expansions), as it seemed there was still so much to explore. I have now beaten the 5/8 Solo with all 7 characters (4 base game + 3 from expansions), and I am working on improving my score with each before I raise the city levels or move on to Volkaire.

Played another one last night - and afterwards immediately set up to play again tonight :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
Brentwood (not the OJ one)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the detailed responses!

What is 5/8 solo, please? I don't understand what that means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick S
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jglazier wrote:
Thank you for the detailed responses!

What is 5/8 solo, please? I don't understand what that means.

Solo conquest with the cities being level 5 and level 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the Mage Knight Scenario Reference, which describes all the available scenarios and how to make most of them soloable:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/124534/mage-knight-scenar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.