Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Hoffman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
So this is driving me nuts and as far as I can tell no one else has brought this up.

The rulebook says this pertaining to Strong Leader:

"Use of this card must be declared before the Leader takes any actions (draw Plot Cards or distributing Team tokens)."

But the actual card says...

"Play before Plot or Team Cards have been distributed"

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1019152/the-resistance

...which is in contradiction to the rules. Am I the only person who's noticed this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the contradiction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hoffman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's a contradiction, because the rules say you play Strong Leader before the current leader has taken ANY actions (so before they even draw plot cards), but the card says you play it before "Plot or Team Cards have been distributed" which means you can play it after the leader draws cards, but before he hands them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
The second one is maybe slightly lazy, it's just combining drawing and distributing plot cards together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hoffman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, it doesn't really combine them. It just says "Play before Plot or Team Cards have been distributed". It doesn't mention drawing them at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps distributed == drawn. No clue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever the case, it makes sense that SL would need to be played before cards are drawn. I've never played it any other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hoffman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Perhaps distributed == drawn. No clue.

That might be their intention, but if it is I'm pretty certain they're using "distributed" wrong since all the cards are going to one person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hoffman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Whatever the case, it makes sense that SL would need to be played before cards are drawn. I've never played it any other way.

Well, the new leader could hand out the drawn cards instead. Anyways I think the rule in the rule book is the intended way to play, but I just think they goofed on the actual card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Allowing Strong Leader to be played after Plot Cards are revealed, but before they're distributed only makes a difference if knowing which cards you'd get to hand out changes your mind about playing SL.

Once a leader starts handing out cards, then you've gained information about their decisions which may cast light upon their loyalty, which would be a serious exposure, rather than the comparatively minor one of knowing whether you'd be handing out a couple of Opinion Makers or a couple of Overheard Conversations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
Allowing Strong Leader to be played after Plot Cards are revealed, but before they're distributed only makes a difference if knowing which cards you'd get to hand out changes your mind about playing SL.

Once a leader starts handing out cards, then you've gained information about their decisions which may cast light upon their loyalty, which would be a serious exposure, rather than the comparatively minor one of knowing whether you'd be handing out a couple of Opinion Makers or a couple of Overheard Conversations.
The question is, when you draw them, are they public knowledge, or does the leader not tell what cards they are? I've always played this as public knowledge. I can't recall what the rules say, other than "Plot cards are always public knowledge." I suppose this means immediately after they're drawn, but it might mean immediately after they're handed out. *sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would interpret that the Rules are correct.

If it was true per the card that you draw first and then the new leader takes over, there would surely be an explanation of what to do with the cards that were drawn? i.e. do they pass to the new Leader or discard or reshuffle them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls