Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom M.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played High Frontier for the first time, and it was ubergeeky fun. I got off to a strong start by landing my solar-sailing Japanese crew on comet Phaethon and returning them to Earth for glory points. But my attempt to locate exploitable resources on Phaethon was unsuccessful, so I sent my next mission to claim Mars and build a factory there in stages. Twice in a row I failed my aerobrake rolls (creating a pair of small, but very expensive craters) and had to resend the components, setting me back significantly, but I got it built in the end.

Late in the game I got overconfident and made a critical error, stranding my poor, loyal crew in Mercury orbit along with all the parts they needed to build another factory and possibly score even more glory. My experience with aerobraking onto Mars lulled me into forgetting about lander fuel, so my crew were stuck a stone's throw from their goal with no way to land. I think I could have devised a scheme to get the necessary propellant to them, but the game ended before I could fully implement it.

This is not uncommon for me when we're learning a new strategic game; my focus is on getting the rules right and teaching the other players, and my strategy tends to suffer a bit. I don't mind. My crew may have a different opinion, but they don't own any Shimizu stock so I'll politely ignore their irate radio transmissions.

Meanwhile, NASA's player set his sights on Ceres and established a factory there, using it to produce low-ISRU robonauts that proceeded to claim most of the nearby asteroids and industrialize one. NASA claimed the most territory of any player, using up all six of his claim disks. He also claimed Davida toward the end of the game, but didn't have time to exploit it.

The ESA played the long game, spending turn after turn assembling a huge rocket, cramming it full of propellant, and blasting off for the Koronis cluster of asteroids. His scans found a likely site for a factory, which he could build almost immediately. ESA's next missions continued striking rich deposits throughout the asteroid belt, and he ended up building the game-ending factory on Psyche. ESA won on points with his diligent industrialization of the asteroid belt.

We managed to spread out over most of the (base game) map, and it was tough to find suitable mission targets toward the end of the game. I'd love to get the expansion so we could explore the Jovian system and other outlying regions.

Outstanding game. I enjoyed every minute and at least one of the two other players liked it too.

EDIT: Typo fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expanded map is offered at Zazzle printing company watch for deal day,(sometimes 60 percent off) ... once you buy something they often have massive discounts I've bought 5 of the expanded maps so far offering them as gifts at our local con .. 24 x 36 works well for our tables ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom M.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckdunn wrote:
The expanded map is offered at Zazzle printing company watch for deal day,(sometimes 60 percent off) ... once you buy something they often have massive discounts I've bought 5 of the expanded maps so far offering them as gifts at our local con .. 24 x 36 works well for our tables ..

Thanks, I may have to go for that. I had planned to wait for Colonization to come out, but I don't know if I can wait another year to get to Jupiter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cubthulhu wrote:
chuckdunn wrote:

Thanks, I may have to go for that. I had planned to wait for Colonization to come out, but I don't know if I can wait another year to get to Jupiter!

Well waiting a year would be a realistic simulation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
cubthulhu wrote:
Twice in a row I failed my aerobrake rolls (creating a pair of small, but very expensive craters) and had to resend the components, setting me back significantly, but I got it built in the end.

Don't forget that you can pay 4WT to make an aerobrake or hazard roll an auto-success.

Welcome to the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom M.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:
cubthulhu wrote:
Twice in a row I failed my aerobrake rolls (creating a pair of small, but very expensive craters) and had to resend the components, setting me back significantly, but I got it built in the end.

Don't forget that you can pay 4WT to make an aerobrake or hazard roll an auto-success.

Welcome to the game!

Good point. I actually did forget about that rule. In hindsight I probably wouldn't have taken advantage of it though, since I would have thought "surely I won't roll two 1's in a row..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.