GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,524 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
49 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Poll : whata the looooooooongest wargame session you experienced? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
any wargamer here ever play game that wont end ? whats your longest session.

Poll
1. Longest session time you experienced? a single wargame session that wont end...
less than 1 hr
1-2 hr
2-6 hr
7-23 hr
1 day
1 week
1 month
more than 1 month
i forgot
i have no comment
2. so you allow ppl to eat and drink when playing wargame
Yes
No
Maybe
no comment
3. do you ever cheat / ever caught player cheating in your wargame session?
Yes
No
Maybe
no comment
      198 answers
Poll created by dprijadi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yodlaf Peterson
United States
Ohio and West Texas
Пиндостан
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue takes a bit long to play, but it's worth every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sapa inca wrote:

ok what you mean worth every day? how long this monster's play time? heck i suspect the setup time itself are longer than most gamr's play time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Vale!
badge
The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
sapa inca wrote:

ok what you mean worth every day? how long this monster's play time? heck i suspect the setup time itself are longer than most gamr's play time

Playing time for the bigger campaigns is 400-700 hours. Give or take a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My longest game ever was a game of Empires in Arms that took 9 months to finish. Recently the longest game was a full campaign game of Steel Wolves: The German Submarine Campaign Against Allied Shipping – Vol 1 that took 3 months to finish to completion, half-way through the game I had to transfer the game to VASSAL to reclaim my boardgame table and to speed up play. VASSAL automated the chit draws which saved hours of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1996 I had the Battle of Corinth in Adler 5mm ACW miniatures on a table 4'x 6' set up for a couple months. The rules were Fire and Fury

It doesn't really count because it wasn't played all in one session. We played when schedules permitted. Had we played continuous it may have taken most of a day.

It was the pinnacle of my wargaming hobby time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My longest game was finishing campaign game of Grand Illusion: Mirage of Glory, 1914 and recently Shiloh: April 1862. Both takes several months to complete as I took them at a leisurely pace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Federation and Empire would take a term to play at college before it became a stalemate.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Vale!
badge
The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
My longest game was finishing campaign game of Grand Illusion: Mirage of Glory, 1914 and recently Shiloh: April 1862. Both takes several months to complete as I took them at a leisurely pace.

Grand Illusion for several months??? surprise In my experience (five games) it plays well under 8 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I was slow and plagued by the signature minute rules exceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember a Triumph of Chaos game which lasted two weeks. My brother and I only had a limited time to play during high school so we would play a few hours every night. Was a full game tht lasted until the very end. The Poles were unable to declare war but intervened, Yudenich's offensive failed to take Leningrad by one die pip, while the Whites were eventually kicked out of Southern Russia entirely. It was fairly historical when I think about it.

My brother is actually the only person I would allow to drink near my games. He has never spilled a drink and normally understands to place a drink out of spill range of a table. Perhaps he feels pity (or fear) for the crazed look I give him when I see him with a beer at the table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps this is just semantics, but I and those I game with always consider a 'session' to be a single sitting to play a game, be it 1 hour or 12 hours or whatever, during which people are more or less playing the game continuously (with occasional breaks to eat or go to the bathroom), at the end of which, people go home. Some games (monsters, mostly) required multiple sessions to complete. So, for example, our group has been playing Axis & Allies 1940 Global as a four player game. In our most recent game, we have already played two (2) sessions, each lasting approximately 6 hours. We know that we will need two (2) more sessions to finish, so this game will take four (4) sessions to play from start to finish, and our total time investment will be around 24 hours.

I've played a variety of two player games like this as well. Dan, one of my good wargaming buddies, and I played SPI's Drive on Stalingrad over six separate sessions, and I think we ended up investing around 24 hours in total to the game (finishing on turn 21 of 25, as the outcome was assured at that point).

The point to my note is that I think the longest wargame session, by the definition of most, can't be more than a day or so, assuming people sleep over at the place where the game is located. Of course, maybe for those who attend MonsterCon (CSW's con for monster wargamers) and play only one game the entire time, only taking a break to go to their hotel room to sleep for a few hours, they can consider their entire stay a single session! I'd love to be able to do that some day!

FYI - I voted for "7-23 hours" in the poll. Back in the day, it was not uncommon to play for 12 or more hours in a single sitting, only taking short breaks for pizza. That was before a wife, kids, and a full time job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During my university days I played the grand strategic scenario of Pacific War: The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 solo, which lasted about 7 months in real time. In game time it went from Dec 1941 to about July 1944 when I stopped since it was obvious that the Japanese side is hopeless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the question. Do you mean uninterrupted? I've started games, put them aside, then come back to them weeks later. Do you mean only playing time? Do mean time elapsed from start to finish?

desertfox2004 wrote:
Perhaps this is just semantics, but I and those I game with always consider a 'session' to be a single sitting to play a game, be it 1 hour or 12 hours or whatever, during which people are more or less playing the game continuously (with occasional breaks to eat or go to the bathroom), at the end of which, people go home.

I thought for sure the initial question was referring to exactly this. Words mean things. Perhaps he can clarify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
In college, we had some week-long continuous sessions of War in Europe, played by teams, sometimes with restarts.

I'm not sure what the longest period any of the group played for continuously, but it was certainly more than 48 hours. He reported seeing the world in hexes afterwards, and said he almost stepped out in front of a bus assuming that it would have to stop when it entered his ZOC.

But he is prone to exaggeration for the sake of a good story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Michael Dorosh wrote:

desertfox2004 wrote:
Perhaps this is just semantics, but I and those I game with always consider a 'session' to be a single sitting to play a game, be it 1 hour or 12 hours or whatever, during which people are more or less playing the game continuously (with occasional breaks to eat or go to the bathroom), at the end of which, people go home.

I thought for sure the initial question was referring to exactly this. Words mean things. Perhaps he can clarify.

I thought he was referring to exactly that as well, but the replies he got were not. As per usual online
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The longest game I played was Axis & Allies Global 1940 that lasted 6 weeks. However, we only played for about 4-6 hours every 2 weeks.

Incidentally, the allies won this game because USA had 4 transports with 8 units sitting in Hawaii and the Japan player only left 6 units in his capital even though he had taken over almost all of China and Australia...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Leo - a session is usually one sitting. My longest sitting for a wargame has been about 17 hours - several times in the same week.

Longest time to CONCLUDE a game? I've had WIF games take over a year if we don't get together often enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Edlund
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Today just isn't your day...
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played Paths of Glory. It was my first "serious" wargame, and it took my brother and I the better part of a day to finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand Imperialism lasts a good 20 hours, but we often have a night's sleep in the middle. I'm good for about 12 hours of wargaming... just as I'm good for about 12 hours of anything. But since his poll goes to a month, and no one can go for a month without sleeping, I have absolutely no idea what he's actually asking for.

The longest game I've ever played was 35 hours of the Empires of the Middle Ages campaign game, played over several weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Longest session: 12-15hrs. Easy during uni vacations, and we still do this at conventions.
Longest game: 100+ hours for Empires in Arms, over many sessions.

It's not uncommon to see 15+ hour days at Chess tournaments, playing 4 games/day. If the first game is at 9am, and the final session starts at 7.30pm, play can go on until after midnight. There are often long breaks between games. Hard work for the arbiter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I suspect I've had single sittings last more than 24 hours -
but not with the same players sitting throughout.

My longest game probably wasn't even a wargame - I played
out the entire Longball season with a break
of several years. Next closest would be Fed & Empire, playing
the scenarios out with SFB - I think I got 6-7 turns in; probably
about nine months on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Note: we take breaks to eat, but not during play

Note: Empires in Arms in 48 hours with breaks and no sleep. Austinites are cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cptwacky wrote:
Note: we take breaks to eat, but not during play

Note: Empires in Arms in 48 hours with breaks and no sleep. Austinites are cool!

why not during play? when waiting for other side's turn , isnt it safe to eat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
My longest game ever was a game of Empires in Arms that took 9 months to finish. Recently the longest game was a full campaign game of Steel Wolves: The German Submarine Campaign Against Allied Shipping – Vol 1 that took 3 months to finish to completion, half-way through the game I had to transfer the game to VASSAL to reclaim my boardgame table and to speed up play. VASSAL automated the chit draws which saved hours of time.

its come to this.. using vassal to simplify the complex management of physical game..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.