Queen Games» Forums » General

Subject: Why I will not buy their games any more... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Though I am very interested in Escape, I have not backed it on Kickstarter. I'm having a hard time to buy games costing >40€ without having played them once, and since I'm lucky enough to work in a boardgame rental, I'm not having a hard time to try the games. I will surely try Escape in Essen this year, but I will not buy it, since I am sick of lack of customer friendliness of Queen Games.

For those of you (are there any?) that are not fond of what happened you may want to have a look at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1016374822/escape-the-cu... (which is the "Updates" section of the Kickstarter Campaign for Escape) and http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1016374822/urbanization/... (which is the "Updates" section of the Kickstarer campaign for Urbanization).

I've seen the Escape campaign when it was just getting started, and I also saw the "No funny business" guarantee - giving everyone the game 2 weeks before the official release date. Knowing Queen Games for not being good in customer information (more on that later!) I was already surprised that they would promise things, since every promise I got from them was never kept.

If I was a backer on either of those projects, I would definitely be very mad. Don't get me wrong - I really believe that it's okay when the production takes longer or there are problems. BUT if my game should arrive in July and there is a lack of communication, giving me information in August that "everything is fine" and so on, this would drive me really mad. This is not all - Queen not responding to anything, I would simply feel fooled.

Is the board game market as big that Queen Games is not able to answer customer questions? I had several problems with games, missing game parts and so on. I always got a replacement. In most cases, I got a response in at most 24 hours. Those companies include Eggert, Kosmos, Lookout, Gameworks, Indie Boards and Cards and CGE. Everything worked really well, the customer support was always great! And this is a thing I really love with the board gaming industry. The customer is near the authors and the publishers. Many authors are registered users on BGG, and you can simply talk to them. Many publishers have a great customer support or answer questions you post on the Geek. Well, at least if it's not Queen Games.

I just want to find out, wheter it's only me who thinks that Queen Games tries to fool customers and backers. Why did everyone have to wait so long for Escape? What about Urbanization? How long will the backers have to wait until they get it? And what about their Thebes The Card Game which should be out since Essen 2011 and no word was ever spoken about it? Probably we will never find out, since their website also won't tell us anything about it.

If someone of Queen Games is reading this, I just want to tell you, why I will never again buy a game of you. Just to make sure once again: I know, that mistakes happen, and that it's probably very hard to put the correct things into board game boxes (assembling the parts is a very stressful work). However, as a customer, buying one of your expensive games, I want at least an replacement if mistakes are made.

In Essen 2010, I bought Fresco at your booth on Thursday. In the evening, back at the hotel, I found out that I had a double set of green meeples, but therefore no blue meeples. On Friday, I went to the Queen Games booth again, telling them the mistake. Their answer was that I would have to write an email to Queen Games, and I would get an replacement. The question, wheter I could get it from an unopened game now, was denied, since they would not be able to sell this game then (which I understood). However, I was assured that I would get a replacement when writing them a email.

As far as you might guess, I mailed them 5 to 6 times, and never got a single response. Nothing! You probably didn't think that I would strike back. However, in Essen 2011 I went once again to their booth, telling them that I was really upset and wanted to get a replacement right now. Once again, they denied giving me the meeples at the booth, but at least, they wrote down my email adress and my home adress. I was really looking forward to getting the meeples, and as you may know already, the meeples haven't arrived nor have I got any form of response. Though I tried 2 more times getting an answer per mail, I was ignored. Now, this is the end of the story: a very unhappy customer who shares his unhappiness with others.

Furthermore, I am really upset that Tahiti by Minion Games will not make Essen. As written elsewhere on the Geek, they had a contract with you that there will be games of Tahiti in Essen. Well, you don't care, as we now know, since Tahiti will not make Essen. Are contracts for you any important?

This industry lives only by being nice to customers. It's us who decide what we will buy. And since I now know that I am not the only one you are trying to fool, I will not buy anything after I see that your company has changed their customer services. Is there anyone else that thinks the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Why I will not buy this game...
I don't understand why this is in an Eacape forum. You didn't back the game and have nothing to say about it. This post should be a letter to Queeb Games itself.

Sorry you are so unhappy, but I come to this forum to read about Escape - which I am enjoying and really glad that I backed! I hope you are able to work through your issues, just IMO here is not the place...

Looks like it was moved, Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SBHD wrote:
I just want to find out, whether it's only me who thinks that Queen Games tries to fool customers and backers.

Yes, it's just you. You think their policy is to try and trick its customers. That is not rational.

Quote:
Is there anyone else that thinks the same?

I don't. I would wager there are few that do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I'm really sorry you have had such trouble getting your replacements. A few months ago, I bought a used in-shrink copy of Industria, a Queen game from 2003 that has probably been OOP for years. It was missing a tile. I emailed them, and they airmailed me a new tile very quickly. It must have gone out within a day or so. I was very impressed with their customer service there.

2. I'm also disappointed in Queen's ability to publish games on schedule. My only personal stake there is with Tahiti, which isn't an internal Queen game, but they are doing the printing. I feel like an innocent bystander getting hurt by Queen's poor planning there. I don't know what the contract specified, so can't claim that it was violated.

3. Almost every company has a game that has been delayed a lot (like Thebes: The Tomb Raiders the card game). If I didn't buy any games from companies with long delays, my game closet would be empty. While some delays are excusable, I can't excuse the lack of communications about delays, by Queen or any other company.

4. I agree with others that this post probably doesn't belong in the Escape forum, so I'm using the red X/Wrong Forum to vote for a move. Probably to General Gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To be honest, I just found Out that there is a forum for each company. You are absolutely right, this thread should be moved there.

Don't get me wrong - delays are ok. But many of you paid a lot of money and didn't get any information for a long time what happened to their money. That's not ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what's worth, I believe they really messed up with Escape. They could've avoid most of the negativity, simply by being responsive and truthful. Delays do happen and most of the gamers understand that. Anyone in doubt can check Glory to Rome's forum. The lack of communication is what kept me from backing Urbanization. I don't think they're in the business of tricking customers, but they're definitely lacking lately.

Having said that, Escape's designer is very active and so far has answered all questions that have come up regarding the game. And I believe it's an excellent game that does what it does really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Queen Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've been really happy with Queen Games. I Kickstartered Edo and that was my best Kickstarter experience (out of over 20 campaigns). The game arrived phenomenally fast. I guess Escape: The Curse of the Temple was later than expected, but I hardly noticed. I got the game within 6 months and I haven't seen it for sale anywhere. It's not like it has been over a year like Glory to Rome. They included an apology letter, which I thought was nice. I guess they ran out of Roma and will send a copy later once they get more in stock, but I'm not too hurt about that either. I've got lots of games to play and a fairly large pile of games that have yet to hit the table. So far it seems Queen Games is run professionally and puts out a nice product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How presumptive of the original poster to declare how backers should feel.

Honestly, I am really enjoying Escape! And I have really enjoyed most of the other games published by Queen. They make good games.

Their communication on this kickstarter project was, in my opinion, very poor. Announced dates were missed without explanation until much time had passed, usually followed by another promised date which passed.

Frequently asked questions seemed to be ignored, while unrelated comments were posted.

I will not comment on other aspects of the customer service as I've not had any problems which test them.

What I HAVE decided is that I don't want to back another Queen kickstarter. I'll wait and try the game after it is done.

I think the original poster is absurd to not ever buy another of their games based on the small experiences he's had and based on his lack of problems in a kickstarter in which he didn't participate.

WMReed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmreed wrote:
I think the original poster is absurd to not ever buy another of their games based on the small experiences he's had and based on his lack of problems in a kickstarter in which he didn't participate.
To be clear, that is not the reason he stated not to buy any more of their games - It's that he has been waiting 2 years(!!!) to get replacements for a product packaging flaw that should have been dealt with in days of the initial email. Seeing the problems (lack of clear communication) in the kickstarters solidified his exacerbation with the company.

I can see his point to some degree - I would be very hesitant to buy a game from a publisher who has not ever responded to a product packaging flaw, especially when I know that these flaws happen sometimes.

In fact, I can kind of relate to him with a card sleeves brand that has been producing sleeve packs where 60-70% of the sleeves are too tight for the cards and would cause them to bend. It is making me seriously consider not purchasing this brand of sleeves because of the possible hassle of the sleeves once again being too tight.

I backed Escape and am looking forward to receiving it in the next week. Because of the experience with queen games in the kickstarter I will probably not be backing any more of their projects but if they produce a product I am very interested in and it is sitting on the shelf of my FLGS I will not hesitate to pick it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me started on Queen Games! The only game I have of theirs is Venezia (which my wife found in a thrift store for $3.00) Not only were the instructions in French, but there was rubber band melted to the deck of cards! Step it up, Queen!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rajive Gupta
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
Markus,

Please feel free to contact me directly at the Essen booth 10-17.
We will find a way to resolve the issue.

Rajive Gupta
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rajive Gupta
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
To be honest, I just found Out that there is a forum for each company. You are absolutely right, this thread should be moved there.

Don't get me wrong - delays are ok. But many of you paid a lot of money and didn't get any information for a long time what happened to their money. That's not ok.

___ Since you did not back I do not see how this is an issue linked
___ with your earlier concern.

___ However my offer stays if you want to contact me in person at the ___ Essen show stand 10-17.

Rajive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for your answer, Rajive! I will be there! At least I got faith in you again!

And just once again, since I wasn't clear in my first post. I am a big fan of Queen Games, because they make the best games with a really good quality - I'm just not a fan of their customer services.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Finally, I got my replacements right at Essen. Didn't Even Have to go to Rajive, got it by a very nice Queen Game explain-guy. Thank you, finally!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So will you buy their games now? If so, you should edit the title and the first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lot's of Queen Games apologists here.

I wonder if they will feel the same when they are ignored for weeks after buying incomplete games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:

I don't. I would wager there are few that do.

You're wrong. Queen Games behavior and customer service have been abysmal and LOTS of people are sick of them.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1123382/do-not-back-quee...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
You're wrong. Queen Games behavior and customer service have been abysmal and LOTS of people are sick of them.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1123382/do-not-back-quee...

Reading that thread, I don't see anyone who claims that Queen Games is trying to "fool customers and backers", which is what the OP asked and I said few agreed.

Well, except you. You did say something similar:

Magic Pink wrote:
Completely agree. Queen Games is one of the worst, most underhanded unprofessional bunch of crooks in the gaming industry. The only company that even comes close is Japanime/Ankama Games. I'm not supporting any of their KSs or games ever again.

Just because they have abysmal customer service and have mismanaged their kickstarter campaigns does not mean they are out to trick their customers and bilk them of their money. I maintain that relatively few people believe that. The OP does, and so do you. Everyone else just thinks they are awful at their jobs, not purposefully out to cheat their customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.