Song of Armies and Hordes» Forums » General

Subject: One of the longest delays ever.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people have been (or are still?) waiting for this set of rules. Its been promised to appear very soon since 2009. Nothing there yet. Ganesha games continues to put out lots of stuff, but little news about this one. Maybe its just a cruel joke...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To say that Ganesha has been promising that this game would appear soon is a complete fabrication. looking at what Andrea has actually written about the game, we see:

1"We played a first playtest game two days ago." (Jul 20, 2009)
2"It's still in its infancy." (Aug 5, 2009)
3"I can't make promises as the book is nearly completely written but..." (Oct 25, 2009)
4"no estimates [when the game will be available] possible" Feb 9, 2010)
5"I have no idea on the release date, sorry." (Nov 30, 2011)
6"No news at the moment, it is in playtest." (Aug 11, 2012)

And yet, someone still wastes all of our time and clogs the Ganesha Games Yahoo Group with a repetition of this same conversation every few weeks.

Clearly, he's working on the game and not ready to release it. Maybe if people stopped pestering him about it he could use that time to work on the game. As it is, he's answered so many questions about how it is different from SBH that you could basically play the game based on his posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, thats not so. It has been announced for spring 2012, then for fall 2012. And probably before that - its just that I have no memory on that myself. I do know, because I have actually waited for the release (Keeping figures to base for the game and such). I surely would not have done that, had I not had the impression that the game was to be released relatively soon. There even has been a buy option on the Ganesha games site for a few days, which was then withdrawn.

I have not pestered him at all. Its just that information policy on this particular game has been terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Si Fei wrote:
I have no memory on that myself

Is the only part of what you wrote that seems remotely factual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, whatever...
I mean, what do you expect? Evidence? I did not take screenshots.

But seriously: Are you saying that I am making this up? Or what do you mean? Why is there already an entry for this game, if it was not supposed to be more or less upcoming? Why do so many people on The Miniatures Page have the impression that the game is due for very long? How comes the game is logged as 2010 in the BGG database and then again has a version entry for 2011? Is that not because people got the impression that the game was due?
Even if all these rumours are entirely unjustified - which you are probably much better qualified to judge - it seems strange that they stick around like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I would expect you have some sort of evidence to back up your statements.

As far as why it is mentioned here or elsewhere: It is incredibly easy to add a game that has been discussed but might not see immediate release to the BGG database and even easier to post something on a forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yes, I would expect you have some sort of evidence to back up your statements.

What do you expect? That I actually take screenshots? The internet changes every few days, including the Ganesha games page. I think it is rather silly to ask for evidence for what has been going on on the web. Especially as I have already explained all this above.
If you really want to, ask Andrea whether he had Song of Armies and Hordes up in the shopping cart system on Ganesha games for a few days (with a 0,00 price tag. I am aksi not claiming that he said anything about availability.)

Also (just to suggest that I am not some weirdo dreaming up things):
"Not really able to predict when the game will be ready. The rules are there but I need some time and some people to playtest the sample armies etc. After that , It'll take me about one month to finish it and have it edited."
http://ganeshagames.proboards.com/index.cgi?=songofarmiesand...

That was two years ago.
He does not claim anything in that post, however, some time plus a month does not quite sound like two years...
I think that your point is that he did not, in the strict sense of the word, promise a release date. That probably is so, even though I seem to remember something about some major game show that he wanted to have the game out for.
The situation might look different for regular readers of the yahoo list, which I am not.
My point is that since two (or even three) years ago, it has often looked as if the game was to be published soonish. Having the game added here on BGG is another sign that this has all lead to confusion. (Are there any other yet unpublished Ganesha games in the database...? I am of course aware that you can post nearly anything in the database. But I also assume that you usually do not do that, unless there is reason to expect the game soonish.)

Finally, just to reduce the harshness, I never meant to insult Andrea or to state that Ganesha games was not doing a good job. My frustration about the prolonged wait for the game is merely an expression of how much I want it. We really need something a bit more customizable than HoTT and a bit less convoluted than Fantasy Rules! And SAH seems to strive to be just that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally, I found it.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=186158

Quote:
I confirm that "Song of Armies and Hordes", the army-level version of Song of Blades and Heroes, is in playtest and will come out in 2010, but I can't be more specific than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Herrmann
Germany
Unna
flag msg tools
mb
So what? You just have to be patient for the finished rules.

Andrea sais:
Quote:
Please understand that GG is a one-man operation so health and family issues often take precedence and slow down the production process.

On his website he wrote:
Quote:
Song of Armies and Hordes (SBH mass combat rules)In playtest/working on point system and trimming down special rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
On Google+, Andrea recently asked if people would prefer the book in B&W w/o diagrams or color w/ diagrams representing situations. So, hopefully, this game is coming soon -- hopefully coinciding with a Bones delivery, ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So what? You just have to be patient for the finished rules.

Quite obvious: It takes forever. It should be ok to comment on that.

I don't believe it will be out in 2013 either anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Si Fei wrote:
I don't believe it will be out in 2013 either anymore.

I tend to agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2015, if we are lucky?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... it has now apparently been removed from the Work in Progress section at the Ganesha Games website. Whatever that means...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.