Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Oystein Eker when he stated, "The box art. You can do better than this! There are so many beautiful paintings from WWI air war to choose from. Anyway – the lid is always upside down to roll dice in, not a game breaker."

But I kept thinking the cover looked familiar. Then I remembered the old Blue Max movie poster. Not the same, but there is a close resemblance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's familiar because of these...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that would explain it.

That is why "Blue Max" kept popping into my mind. I have that game!

But it is still a fantastic movie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does it really matter - it's just a box.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nheather wrote:
Does it really matter - it's just a box.

Cheers,

Nigel

Funny you should mention this. There is this game called Titan, and I remember seeing it at the game store when it was first hitting the market. I considered purchasing it, but to be honest, I was put off by the box artwork. Also, it didn't help that a game I picked up just before wasn't good and in that case you were able to judge a book (game) by its cover. Also, I haven' seen any good reviews about Titan yet, and so I'm thinking its another judge a book by cover thing again.

Time drifted by and eventually I got pulled into playing a game of Titan with the promise of free pizza. We played twice that day, and I went out and purchased Titan the next morning. It still remains one of my top favorite games till this day.

So yes, box cover artwork can somewhat make a difference, and that is what people see for the first time, which in turn gives a first impression. And yes, that saying "Never judge a book by its cover" is a good one to follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Certainly agree with the "don't judge a book by the cover" adage.

If you do you might miss some good games, but the thing that worries me the most is "Do people really spend $75 on an unresearched game just because it has a nice picture on the front of the box".

To be honest, most GMT box covers look like high school projects to me - in fact I think they have some of the worst box art in the business, but the games inside are excellent - probably my favourite games company.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.