Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wondering how easy it would be to implement a handicap system simply by giving giving the better/more experienced/older player a lower points total to work with.

I bet a few parents have already done something like let their kid be Luke Skywalker in the tooled-up X-Wing whilst they take academy pilots in vanilla TIES.

I'm just wondering how much of difference is enough to even up a teaching match between, say, a tournament player and a newcomer. May there even be different grades of handicap where there's a sliding scale of points differences?

I guess a potential issue for newcomers might be that they would, ironically, have MORE rules and cards to deal with because of all the extra abilities.

If there was a way of addressing that issue, could this work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about this as well. I've done it with my kids, but haven't really kept a record of what we've used. In order to address your concern about more rules, one could simply give the new/young players more ships with fewer upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think semi-serious players will learn faster if they're just thrown into an even points match and allowed to figure it out.

Or use one of the missions from the core game to quickly introduce the mechanics, and then move right away into a 'real' match at 100 points or whatever.

If you're playing the game with young kids, make whatever adjustments are necessary to make it fun for them. You don't want to play the game for them, but relatively simple things like target locks and focus tokens may not make sense to a kid, so you should probably skip the customization aspect entirely.

If a player can understand and employ target locking in this game, they probably don't need a handicap. They just need experience playing the full game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
DagobahDave wrote:
I think semi-serious players will learn faster if they're just thrown into an even points match and allowed to figure it out.

Or use one of the missions from the core game to quickly introduce the mechanics, and then move right away into a 'real' match at 100 points or whatever.

If you're playing the game with young kids, make whatever adjustments are necessary to make it fun for them. You don't want to play the game for them, but relatively simple things like target locks and focus tokens may not make sense to a kid, so you should probably skip the customization aspect entirely.

If a player can understand and employ target locking in this game, they probably don't need a handicap. They just need experience playing the full game.

Yeah, for teaching or playing with kids it's probably easier to play lots of small games to get used to the core rules and to tailor your skill manually so you don't overwhelm them (although there's enough randomness in a small game that this is mitigated a bit anyway).

Figuring out exactly the skill difference between two players so it can be calculated with cold, hard maths is going to be almost impossible without those two players playing hundreds of games and refining the equations (by which time they'll both be more than proficient), and even then it might not be readily transferable to any two other gamers.

Over the course of a campaign it might be easier to do - maybe allow one side +10% extra ships for each round they lose, up to a maximum value, or something, so that the system will auto-adjust back and forth and hopefully find a nice medium? What you need to be careful of though is that neither side feels they had no chance to win or too easy a victory, either approach will sap the fun out of playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.